ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Needs Lots of Tightening

mbraue

All World
Gold Member
Mar 2, 2010
Looks like Long Beach State shot around 55 percent from the field and 45 percent from 3-point land. Their players were often wide open for 3s. The matchup zone leaves a lot to be desired. Big guys like Angel jumping out high or wide to double making it easy for good passing teams to find all the holes. Lots of jumping around but little lock down defense. Guys often don't find a man to box out.

This is clearly a group with quickness and athleticism. Why not rely on a solid man-to-man with an occasional zone? Notre Dame and Duke do this well. Willard used to blame Gibbs and Sina for poor defense - they became much better defenders last year - but Willard needs to look at his system. That is what needs a tuneup.

There apparently were no defensive adjustments. Are the players not listening or is the coach not coaching?

No adjustments because genius Willard genius scheme is the most genius.

There apparently were no defensive adjustments. Are the players not listening or is the coach not coaching?

I thought Gordon missing his two free throws down the stretch was a killer. Meant we would have trailed by 2 with about 90 seconds; thought it was a momentum killer.

Liked the ball movement on Carrington's last three (got us to within one, I think). Whitehead usually forces those situations.

Only saw the second half, but thought there was a lot of jawing or bickering among our players.

The defense was really bad at times tonight. At other times, LBST just was on fire, hitting everything. Even with a hand in their face.

I don't want to see the true lothario of the matchup zone defense, the noble cocksman of the clap. I want to see that grit solid man to man defense and fundamental boxing out. The zone is killing us right now. Our defense is like a massage parlor right now, giving out happy endings left and right. Just look at the easy penetration, the number of wide open three point shots, the transition defense and the rebounding. Not a good sign when a team comes from out west with a time zone difference and dictated the game. The nuts and bolts need to be tightened up quickly!

Last edited:
Reactions: lokiSHU
I saw the last 15 minutes. The number of guys leaving their feet on pump and head faked was astonishing. That's embedded bad D and doesn't get any worse than that. Can you even uncoach that? I can handle a loss but I just cant watch bad basketball like I saw last night. Offensive sets weren't much better. Maybe they get better, and they will, but the question is how much?

Excellent points Mike! PJ definitely always had excellent half court sets. The offense looks like roll the balls out, helter skelter, sprinkled with the three man weave to make it look cohesive, when in fact it's nauseating. It's only one game, but it's evident things need to change sooner rather than later.

The defense is worse than last year. But all we heard is that we were going to be better this season because the excuse was that Sina, Gibbs, and Mobley were terrible defenders. Different players, same results. But of course the head coach is probably not playing for his job (which is insanity to me) And you were wonder why this fanbase is so incredibly frustrated.

Have you seen our new alternate uniforms? Turns out they're not black or gray:
760179-Adult-Deluxe-Matador-Man-Costume-large.jpg

I saw the last 15 minutes. The number of guys leaving their feet on pump and head faked was astonishing. That's embedded bad D and doesn't get any worse than that. Can you even uncoach that? I can handle a loss but I just cant watch bad basketball like I saw last night. Offensive sets weren't much better. Maybe they get better, and they will, but the question is how much?
Mike, we jumped at shot fakes at least ten times in the baruch games, which almost always lead to an easy basket. I think we can improve exponentially if we open it up, make it fun and trust the talent. Imo that is Bozzella's strength.

Three dimensional chess

Frankly - this is very much on the money and is what I genuinely think is the root cause of the problem.

Just because a head coach can see in N-dimensions does not mean he can explain to the players how to see those dimensions and play those dimensions - or any of the dimensions.

The evidence is substantial and overwhelming that the translation process has not happened and is continuing *not* to happen.

My regression analysis points resolutely to the 8-Ball answer: "No".

However, I did promise FLNJ to be positive or at least non-negative. I hope you'll read my post on the Women's Basketball Team.

What do you think the odds of that happening are Vegas?
Slim & none and Slim left Charleston.

BTW Bradley is shooting at a .356 clip per game so far this year. 2 losses to top teams and a 1 point victory over Ball State (David Letterman in mourning). So this should be a "real" test for KW's lock down defense. (Editor's note: if I could find the rolling/laughing emoji it would be paced here)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT