ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Gordon to become SF fireman

Probably the least likely job i would have assumed but imo a perfect fit. We need more men and leaders in society like Derrick. Good luck

Reactions: HALL85
They would be lucky to have him as an employee, and I think it is a good long term decision. He could have made some money abroad, but lets be honest, the money and benefits that you receive as a city fireman is greater than any team would have paid him.

I can see him dashing through danger to save somebody.

Good luck Derrick, stay safe and don't be a stranger.

You made more of an impact in one year than most guys do in four.

Thank you.

Reactions: shupat08
He is brave more ways than one...good luck to Derrick... a guy that was instrumental in making our season a season to remember.

He is brave more ways than one...good luck to Derrick... a guy that was instrumental in making our season a season to remember.

Best of luck Derrick and its typical of your character to want to good for others. Stay save !!!

Good luck and don't forget to take off that Big East Championship ring before putting on the rescue gloves.

Derrick was a great fireman for us. He likely smothered many flames in the locker room
Not to derail the thread, but is this true or just speculation based on the previous year? I'm sure he played a huge leadership role, but I can't imagine there being any real issues with the players on our team last year. I have no idea, just wondering.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria Jul 23 New Jersey, USA

Former Seton Hall Guard Derrick Gordon to Become a San Francisco Firefighter https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/former-seton-hall-guard-derrick-gordon-to-become-a-san-francisco-firefighter/191227844?tcid=tw_article_191227844…

CoDFW36UkAAWOuk.jpg

wow, he could have probably found some PT playing overseas for a while. Important to always know what you really want to do in life. Good luck to Derrick.

Good for Derrick. SFFD will be a better place.

Still would like to see stats on transfer/grad students who get grad degrees in their grad-level year. Loved having Derrick on the team, but generally think the whole idea continues to be sketchy at best.

515221362.jpg

(Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images)

Seton Hall’s Derrick Gordon won’t pursue pro basketball to become a firefighter

By Scott PhillipsJul 23, 2016, 1:00 PM EDT

After a successful career that included stops at Western Kentucky, UMass and Seton Hall, Derrick Gordon, Division I college basketball’s first openly gay player, will not pursue professional opportunities and will instead become a firefighter.

The 6-foot-3 Gordon averaged 8.0 points and 3.3 rebounds per game as a senior for the Pirates, helping the team reach the NCAA tournament during his graduate transfer year. By making the NCAA tournament with Seton Hall this past season, Gordon became the first college basketball player to reach the event with three different teams.

A tenacious perimeter defender who could have earned a pro contract if he stuck with basketball, Gordon will instead pursue a career as a firefighter in San Francisco.

Had an amazing basketball career but it's time for a change…I will now work to become a San Francisco Firefighter! pic.twitter.com/pIk1yfNWhG

“I’ve had an amazing basketball career and want to thank everybody who has always been there supporting me every step on the way,” Gordon said via his Instagram. “But I’m making a change in my career…I will now be working towards becoming a San Francisco Firefighter!! I’m excited about this and looking forward to having a long career!!”

While Gordon likely would have never made the NBA on talent alone, his defensive prowess would have likely given him a shot overseas or in the D League. It’s hard to say why Gordon is making this decision, but given what we saw with all of the attention surrounding Michael Sam when he tried to play in the NFL, Gordon was probably going to face a lot of scrutiny wherever he decided to play.

Hopefully Gordon finds his calling as a firefighter and brings the same energy and leadership that he brought on the floor to helping other people outside of basketball.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports....ursue-pro-basketball-to-become-a-firefighter/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT