ADVERTISEMENT

Do Your Kids a Favor

Go outside. Manage stress. Eat whole foods. Maximize happiness. Travel. Create relationships. And if cancer gets you, you lived a good life.

free advice from someone as qualified as a tv dr.
Also I have zero qualifications to give dietary and life advice, in case that wasn’t clear from the tv dr. comment.

Go outside. Manage stress. Eat whole foods. Maximize happiness. Travel. Create relationships. And if cancer gets you, you lived a good life.

free advice from someone as qualified as a tv dr.
Also I have zero qualifications to give dietary and life advice, in case that wasn’t clear from the tv dr. comment.
do you know how many americans dont have the luxury of living like that? thats pretty much what that is nowadays, luxury. typical middle class is now considered lower class. money is the issue. you make it sound easy, as a tv dr of course :)

do you know how many americans dont have the luxury of living like that? thats pretty much what that is nowadays, luxury. typical middle class is now considered lower class. money is the issue. you make it sound easy, as a tv dr of course :)
lol...loser mentality as usual, but on brand for you.
- Go outside: Free
- Manage stress: Everyone has access to healthcare which provides mental health support free....and get off social media, which is the biggest stressor....Free.
- Eat whole foods: Most of the population is walking around with $1,000 super computers in their pocket. Google "eat healthy and inexpensively"...is that hard? You can actually SAVE money AND eat healthy.
- Maximize happieness: Get off social media....free.
- Travel: Poster didn't say you have to get on a plane. Go to the next town; get out of your house and expand your horizons with what your budge allows. It's not that hard.
- Create relationships: How hard is that? And not relationships on social media....once again - Free.

Or you can choose to keep your head in the sand, have kids and raise them with higher risk factors for cancer and other diseases. Is that the route you are espousing?

Reactions: dehere23 and shu09
lol...loser mentality as usual, but on brand for you.
- Go outside: Free
- Manage stress: Everyone has access to healthcare which provides mental health support free....and get off social media, which is the biggest stressor....Free.
- Eat whole foods: Most of the population is walking around with $1,000 super computers in their pocket. Google "eat healthy and inexpensively"...is that hard? You can actually SAVE money AND eat healthy.
- Maximize happieness: Get off social media....free.
- Travel: Poster didn't say you have to get on a plane. Go to the next town; get out of your house and expand your horizons with what your budge allows. It's not that hard.
- Create relationships: How hard is that? And not relationships on social media....once again - Free.

Or you can choose to keep your head in the sand, have kids and raise them with higher risk factors for cancer and other diseases. Is that the route you are espousing?
pompous 🐎 per usual. ivory tower great views this time of year. crickets on the trump stuff!

btw the "next town" is what you consider expanding horizons? lol. pathetic attempt. what famous ceo did you golf with yesterday? cool!

lol first search engine ranking for eat healthy amd inexpensively: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/19-ways-to-eat-healthy-on-a-budget#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5

great tips:
cook everything yourself, unprocessed food: this is so unrealstic. i did this every day for two months on acid watcher diet. i was wfh at an easy job with almost no responosibilites. a parent with kids and a strenuous job? no chance.

plan meals: how many people here do this? none? bhueler? works for about a week.

stock up on bulk sales: and people who have a limited budget to throw down weekly can do this?

replace meat with other sources like hemp seeds and lentils: LOL at this one.

buy frozen veggies: after explaining how healthy fresh food is, they recco frozen

the best one... APPRECIATE LESS EXPENSIVE FOOD. hah! get used to the pig feed poor people!!

lol first search engine ranking for eat healthy amd inexpensively: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/19-ways-to-eat-healthy-on-a-budget#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5

great tips:
cook everything yourself, unprocessed food: this is so unrealstic. i did this every day for two months on acid watcher diet. i was wfh at an easy job with almost no responosibilites. a parent with kids and a strenuous job? no chance.

plan meals: how many people here do this? none? bhueler? works for about a week.

stock up on bulk sales: and people who have a limited budget to throw down weekly can do this?

buy frozen veggies: after explaining how healthy fresh food is, they recco frozen

the best one... APPRECIATE LESS EXPENSIVE FOOD. hah! get used to the pig feed poor people!!
Planning meals on Sunday is not that difficult. A lot of familes do it. Either they meal prep some rice, protein and veggies or just list out their daily dinner meals so they get everything from the grocery store.

What percentage of those people on limited budgets who can't afford bulk sales are throwing money down on lottery tickets, cigarettes, weed, and/or booze. I'm sure there are people who watch where every dime goes and it's unfortunate for them they can't buy bulk. But I'll bet in the group that you're considering, there's $50/per week per househeold of wasted money on those unnecessary items. Stop those for a year and you have an extra $2,500 to spend in bulk.

Replace meat. Maybe not every meal, but if you look at the places in the world with the oldest healthiest populations they eat low meat diets. Why not us?

Last edited:
Reactions: shu09
One thing I would love to see is more local food being produced in this country. So much is mass produced in certain areas of the country. When someone gets allergies, they say have some local honey. Eating locally sourced foods has its benefits.

Reactions: shu09 and HALL85
pompous 🐎 per usual. ivory tower great views this time of year. crickets on the trump stuff!

btw the "next town" is what you consider expanding horizons? lol. pathetic attempt. what famous ceo did you golf with yesterday? cool!
Nice deflection and rambling nonsensical rant...once again, on brand for you.

great tips:

Great...so do none of this and put you and your kids at a greater health risk for cancer. Sounds like a winning strategy.....for a loser.

Great...so do none of this and put you and your kids at a greater health risk for cancer. Sounds like a winning strategy.....for a loser.

you think im not doing this as best i can? i wasnt referring to myself in any of this. i have it relatively decent (prob not as well off as most here). but i can recognize others dont have that luxury. its easy to just say "they should do this, its easy!" from the ivory tower.

when gas prices rose you probably told these people to just take the bus. super easy! doesnt matter if they live in the suburbs. out of touch.

you know it all man. and you love name calling someone who acts so high and mighty. strange.

You have to be the biggest asshole on this board. Anyone who takes tips from you is an idiot. I feel sorry for your family.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
you think im not doing this as best i can? i wasnt referring to myself in any of this. i have it relatively decent (prob not as well off as most here). but i can recognize others dont have that luxury. its easy to just say "they should do this, its easy!" from the ivory tower.

when gas prices rose you probably told these people to just take the bus. super easy! doesnt matter if they live in the suburbs. out of touch.

you know it all man. and you love name calling someone who acts so high and mighty. strange.

Where did I say this was easy? I didn't. It's a choice. Make better and informed decisions or recognize that there are negative consequences by not doing so. The article points to poor decisions that have put those under 50 in our population more at risk for cancer. What's your solution other than it's hard?

Your view on these decisions is defeatist. I responded to your loser response pointing out that there are free and/or inexpensive options. I like to think the best of people if you give them information (and risks associated), they will make better decisions. I want the next generation to be healthier and to learn from these mistakes. If that's "high and mighty", guilty as charged. Keep responding with your clueless rants.

You have to be the biggest asshole on this board. Anyone who takes tips from you is an idiot. I feel sorry for your family.
I don't get into the personal attacks with anyone. But some of what he said makes sense.

Ask any counselor or professional that works with kids, and they'll tell you social media is the leading cause of stress and all sorts of issues. It is the biggest thing I'm scared about when my kids get old enough.

It doesn't cost money to be outside and outside often.

Eating healthy on a budget requires discipline. It's possible. It can certainly be more challenging for folks with less disposable $ because of the increasing cost of certain healthier options, and because fast food is so quick and inexpensive. But there are certain categories of healthier options you can buy to make this work, and I've been part of programs with an at-risk youth organization I'm involved with to educate teenagers/young adults about this.

Reactions: shu09 and HALL85
I don't get into the personal attacks with anyone. But some of what he said makes sense.

Ask any counselor or professional that works with kids, and they'll tell you social media is the leading cause of stress and all sorts of issues. It is the biggest thing I'm scared about when my kids get old enough.

It doesn't cost money to be outside and outside often.

Eating healthy on a budget requires discipline. It's possible. It can certainly be more challenging for folks with less disposable $ because of the increasing cost of certain healthier options, and because fast food is so quick and inexpensive. But there are certain categories of healthier options you can buy to make this work, and I've been part of programs with an at-risk youth organization I'm involved with to educate teenagers/young adults about this.
how often do parents in inner cities get to go outside after coming home at 7pm at night? then take care of kids. and how about their kids being outside in those areas. and what if they dont have a car.

i know its hard for you guys to tell others how easy things are without having a remote clue they dont get to love life the way you do. mind blown, i know.

and i love the "its possible" which is the patent preface to explaining something that is virtually not possible. yes eating healthy is in the realm of possibility. so is winning the lottery.

It depends on the time of year, the parents work situation, the baby-sitting/after school situation and the like. I do extensive work with the Covenant House. All my kids are currently or formerly at-risk youth from challenging or non-existent family situations, mostly inner-city. Many of these kids are outside after school or work a fair amount, once their living situation gets squared away. We encourage that in lieu of being inside on social media or in front of a device of some kind. They don’t have to be playing a sport. Of course it depends on the environment and yes to your point sometimes they are situated in a neighborhood where after dark you don’t necessarily want to be in certain areas outside, which makes the winter months more challenging. When they are at one of our homes, there are options for them in group settings and/or with our staff to engage in more of this type of activity.

how often do parents in inner cities get to go outside after coming home at 7pm at night? then take care of kids. and how about their kids being outside in those areas. and what if they dont have a car.

i know its hard for you guys to tell others how easy things are without having a remote clue they dont get to love life the way you do. mind blown, i know.

and i love the "its possible" which is the patent preface to explaining something that is virtually not possible. yes eating healthy is in the realm of possibility. so is winning the lottery.

How about don't have kids if you 1) don't have the time for them and/or 2) can't afford them?

Too many people in America are lazy or can't accept responsibility. Entitlement is a huge problem.

How about don't have kids if you 1) don't have the time for them and/or 2) can't afford them?

Too many people in America are lazy or can't accept responsibility. Entitlement is a huge problem.

This is true, but until you have kids I wouldn't pretend to know the commitment needed. Obviously part of being a parent is making that commitment, but life doesnt always go according to plan. SHUSA point is also true about kids being outside in certain areas. If you're lucky enough to grow up in a safe setting, being outside is second nature (although parents seem to let kids sit inside and play video games which is terrible). If you grow up in the wrong area of Newark being outside could result in being shot.

Too many people are quick to judge without knowing what it's like to walk in someone else shoes.

That's absolutely correct on the inside/outside options. I don't think anyone was trying to prejudge anyone else's circumstances. I certainly wasn't. My original post was broadly directed at the population at large, including kids of all areas, backgrounds and locations. With young kids now, I see more than ever the culture is dominated by the combination of structured sports/gatherings and then inside/screen time. We push my younger kids outside as much as possible, regardless of whether it is for some structured/organized activity or not. In fact, I prefer and gravitate towards the unstructured. It's what I grew up with. It's good for their physical and mental well being and development. And it can be a hard fight to have when half of your 10 year old and 8 year old's friends want to group chat on facetime or through some other app/video game instead of being outside after school.

I work with Covenant House Newark, and so I'm intimately familiar with some of the challenging places those kids live or have lived (because most kids who come to us are either homeless or were at one point). We try to push them towards outside activities and programs that are present, but might take some effort to find or some help to find. Most communities, for example, have churches, schools or other places where kids without $ can go after school or on weekends and get that type of experience. But yes when a kid does not have the appropriate guidance in those situations you can end up in a scenario where they are locked in their apartment or house because of external factors.

This is true, but until you have kids I wouldn't pretend to know the commitment needed. Obviously part of being a parent is making that commitment, but life doesnt always go according to plan. SHUSA point is also true about kids being outside in certain areas. If you're lucky enough to grow up in a safe setting, being outside is second nature (although parents seem to let kids sit inside and play video games which is terrible). If you grow up in the wrong area of Newark being outside could result in being shot.

Too many people are quick to judge without knowing what it's like to walk in someone else shoes.
But this is not just an issue just with poor and inner city and the article doesn't even go there. Poor health decisions (and parenting) happen at all income levels. These decisions have created a greater risk for cancer at an earlier age than those older than 50. Childhood obesity is just as prevalent in rural areas with little crime. The point is that parents, we need to think about the long term health consequences of our children's health because it does make a difference in their adult risk profile.

But this is not just an issue just with poor and inner city and the article doesn't even go there. Poor health decisions (and parenting) happen at all income levels. These decisions have created a greater risk for cancer at an earlier age than those older than 50. Childhood obesity is just as prevalent in rural areas with little crime. The point is that parents, we need to think about the long term health consequences of our children's health because it does make a difference in their adult risk profile.

Why are you surprised that uneducated people tend to be unhealthier?

There's a reason the state with the highest obesity rate are also the least educated.

Why are you surprised that uneducated people tend to be unhealthier?

There's a reason the state with the highest obesity rate are also the least educated.
I didn’t say anything about uneducated. Why did you go there? Do you think people that live in rural areas are uneducated? That’s pretty narrowminded. This problem cuts across all income levels and education levels.

Anyone look at the data?

This is a global study but results in the US really don't seem that bad.
Outliers seem to be Oesophageal cancer which is actually down for both men and women.
Kidney and Thyroid which were up about 4% for both men and women.

Otherwise breast cancer, colorectal, endometrial, bile duct/gallbladder, head and heck, liver, myeloma, pancreatic, prostate and stomach cancers are all relatively close to the benchmark.

Anyone look at the data?

Outliers seem to be Oesophageal cancer which is actually down for both men and women.

Otherwise breast cancer, colorectal, endometrial, bile duct/gallbladder, head and heck, liver, myeloma, pancreatic, prostate and stomach cancers are all relatively close to the benchmark.
Did I say it was only a domestic issue?

yup. the ivory tower. shu09 doesnt even have the prospect of children but can give you the exact playbook on parenting.

but what about people whoncan afford it but arent mentally equipped to be parents?

Did I say it was only a domestic issue?

Calm down. I read the article, then the study and then looked at the data before commenting here and assumed the data was going to be worse than it was. I'm glad it wasn't.

Anyone look at the data?

Esophageal cancer is a tricky. two types. it used to be the type caused by smoking. thats on the heavy decline, but the other type is increasing fast and its most likely due to processed food and preservatives. i have barretts (apparently) , so i did the acid watcher diet. its actually a book that goes through the history of it all. limit acid large in part to processed food and preservatives. the diet is next to impossible to maintain. and good luck if you cook for more than yourself (not an issue for shu09)

there is no way poorer working class people could follow that diet. no way.

yup. the ivory tower. shu09 doesnt even have the prospect of children but can give you the exact playbook on parenting.

but what about people whoncan afford it but arent mentally equipped to be parents?

I have no desire to have children. Don't have the time for them and can't really afford it. I'm being responsible.

Esophageal cancer is a tricky. two types. it used to be the type caused by smoking. thats on the heavy decline, but the other type is increasing fast and its most likely due to processed food and preservatives. i have barretts (apparently) , so i did the acid watcher diet. its actually a book that goes through the history of it all. limit acid large in part to processed food and preservatives. the diet is next to impossible to maintain. and good luck if you cook for more than yourself (not an issue for shu09)

there is no way poorer working class people could follow that diet. no way.
That's just not true. I have the book. I've gone through the healing phase. Yes there are some ingredients like carob powder I wouldn't expect poorer people to get but you can adjust the recipes. Smoothie with almond milk, oats, and banana. You don’t need to include the carob powder or almond butter if it’s too expensive. you can make that work. Half of the snacks on the diet are raw veggies or some oat bars.

The truth is poorer Americans wouldn’t be able to afford a hamburger if it wasn’t for government subsidies. Why doesn’t the government subsidize the healthier things? How come the government, both sides of the aisle, sets us up for failure health wise?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe various food stamps programs effectively give $ to qualifying individuals via a "debit card" that can be used to purchase most items. Of course, sometimes the healthier options are more expensive. And you cannot fully guard against poor decision-making. There are also bodegas and stuff that skirt the rules sometimes, and so you have those dollars going to things like cigarettes or alcohol. There should be oversight that prevents this but I've seen it fail many times or clever workarounds be developed.

That's just not true. I have the book. I've gone through the healing phase. Yes there are some ingredients like carob powder I wouldn't expect poorer people to get but you can adjust the recipes. Smoothie with almond milk, oats, and banana. You don’t need to include the carob powder or almond butter if it’s too expensive. you can make that work. Half of the snacks on the diet are raw veggies or some oat bars.

The truth is poorer Americans wouldn’t be able to afford a hamburger if it wasn’t for government subsidies. Why doesn’t the government subsidize the healthier things? How come the government, both sides of the aisle, sets us up for failure health wise?
and lemme guess you did the shopping. haha. its tough to maintain no other way about it. youre cutting up corn tortillas and baking in the oven still? pretty dedicated.

i dont argue the govt should subsidize healthy thinga, but i did think they subsidized farming.

and lemme guess you did the shopping. haha. its tough to maintain no other way about it. youre cutting up corn tortillas and baking in the oven still? pretty dedicated.

i dont argue the govt should subsidize healthy thinga, but i did think they subsidized farming.
I actually don’t mind food shopping. It was part of what we did as kids. We went with our grandparents every week and enjoyed it. I didn’t follow the program day by day. I found the recipes that I had the time to make. I basically had one of two smoothies every day for breakfast. I didn’t try the yogurt breakfast options. You literally have to eat every 2 hours on that program. Pesto chicken sandwich was 3-4 times a week. Cut up carrot sticks, celery stalks for snack, super difficult. I had to meal prep Sundays and Wednesdays to make it work but it wasn’t insanely difficult

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT