ADVERTISEMENT

Duval claims he was misled

This is a perfect examples of a person "hearing" what they want to hear. Reminds me of an old friend who sadly is longer with us. Most of his life he was a very big guy. The 20+ years I knew him, he was well over 300 pounds and stood about 6'3". He never went to doctors because he didn't want to hear what they would tell him, that he had to lose weight. We finally talked him into going and he was nervous heading to that day. The next day at work he comes in and we ask him, what did the doctor tell you. His response and I quote "He said I was in great shape." I looked at another friend dumbfounded and said, how could he possibly say that? We pressed him further and then he added, " for a guy 150 pounds overweight, he was in great shape." RIP Big Dan

Where was his agent in all this. Its the agent who allegedly is supposed to know , first and foremost, if his client is going to be drafted and if so in what round and how high or low . That’s because the agent is the man who has the relationship with every team and because of those relationships should be able to advise his client where he stands.

Last edited:
Was he misled, or did he only hear what he wanted? Hard to figure out when one isn’t privy to the facts and this is likely one side of the story.

I don’t think NBA teams are in the business of blatantly lying to these kids on draftability or their interest in a player. You do that to the wrong agent and it hurts you with future players potentially.

I read elsewhere Duval admitted he didn't take the pre-draft process as seriously as he should have.

Sounds like the combination of that, an underwhelming season at Duke and a bricklayer's touch put him on the outside looking in.

Reactions: mbraue
What do they care? They weren't bringing him back for a sophomore season, have to make room for the next wave of 5 star McDonald's All-Americans.
Exactly. Tre Jones was coming in and the writing was on the wall he would be the new point guard. Duval was essentially forced out. This is a classic example of “Duke/Kentucky/etc. isn’t meant everyone”.

If duval went to a school like seton hall he would have had the opportunity to develop at his own pace. He had high level nba potential but needed a couple more years of seasoning. You’re not afforded that luxury at a Duke or Kentucky.

What do they care? They weren't bringing him back for a sophomore season, have to make room for the next wave of 5 star McDonald's All-Americans.
Exactly. Tre Jones was coming in and the writing was on the wall he would be the new point guard. Duval was essentially forced out. This is a classic example of “Duke/Kentucky/etc. isn’t meant everyone”.

If duval went to a school like seton hall he would have had the opportunity to develop at his own pace. He had high level nba potential but needed a couple more years of seasoning. You’re not afforded that luxury at a Duke or Kentucky.

I don't want to seem unsympathetic but Duval knew the score when he committed to Duke. He was going there for one year and then going to the NBA. He was using the system just as the system was using him. I mentioned above I read he coasted through the pre-draft period and I think that sent a signal to NBA teams that either he didn't have a good work ethic or that he had a bad attitude.

He had other options than the NBA at the end of his freshman year. He could have transferred and I bet he would have gotten a waiver to play immediately since he was essentially forced to leave Duke.

Right. I wasn’t implying he got screwed. He knew what he was signing up for when he committed to Duke. My point was simply that Duke isn’t for everybody.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
He made a deal with the devil. A Blue Devil.

Sorry it didn't work out the way he envisioned it would, but much better players have had their dreams not pan out before and much better players will have their dreams not pan out long after he's forgotten. It's tough, but nothing new. He made his choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT