ADVERTISEMENT

Elijah Hutchins-Everett Report

Fishjam

All World
Gold Member
Mar 27, 2016
Did some homework on EHE and here's my opinion.

Good offensive-minded big man at about 6'10"ish 270 pounds with back to the basket skills. Uses his wide body well to present a good target in the post to receive the ball. He has good lower body control and a variety of post moves. Reads his defender and can finish over either shoulder although mostly goes back left to finish with a Right-handed hook.

As a high pick setter, he's much more of a pick and pop player than a pick and roll big. He has decent shooting ability for a post player and hopefully he can improve on his 32.3% 3pt shooting from last year. He shot an identical 69.5% on FTs both years on 213 total attempts so there is some hope that he can raise both of those numbers as an upperclassman.

He uses his size and feet well to position himself and he's a decent finisher around the rim. However he is not a very explosive player vertically.

Showed some passing acumen but overall I'd say he's an average passing big man. His screen setting is not very good for a player with his size and feet and may have been about poor coaching. Hopefully that's something that Sha can coach him on.

He shot more 3's as a Soph and also saw a sizable reduction in his offensive rebounding and Fouls Drawn rates which leads me to deduce he spent much more time away from the basket. Hopefully Sha will convince him he's more efficient and productive in the post.

He gives decent effort defensively and uses his body to battle for position but he is not a good defensive big at this point in his career. Like I mentioned he's not explosive vertically so not much of a shot-blocker.

As a rebounder he isn't great but could improve with coaching. His hands are solid and he's a big, wide body but has to want it more and get in better shape.

Overall, I like his size and post skills and think he could improve his shooting some with better shot selection. Austin Peay plays a low-D1 schedule and he's stepping up a lot coming to the Big East. He showed promise against Purdue and other 7-footers but he's going to have to improve his overall conditioning. Hopefully he buys in to Sha's plan and works hard this offseason.

I wasn't able to find any sign of an injury but EHE did have irregular minutes and play in the 2nd half of the season. He started the first 15 games at Austin Peay and averaged 14.3 pts & 6.7 rebs in 32 minutes per game.

Thereafter he started just 10 of the final 16 games as his minutes fell to 20 per game and he averaged 8.9 pts & 4.3 rebounds. Hopefully it was a minor injury and we are getting a healthy player that will put in the work required to play Big East ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.