ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Kay to the Big House for 22 years

He deserves more, yet if you do a comparative to what violent criminals get, he should be out in 2 months.

Penalties for Distribution and Possession With Intent to Distribute​

As noted above, possession with intent to distribute and distribution are treated the same for penalty purposes. A conviction carries up to 20 years in prison and a $1,000,000 fine (or $5,000,000 for a company). If the person has a prior felony drug conviction, the maximum prison term increases to 30 years and up to life if serious bodily injury or death resulted from the use of the drug. (21 U.S.C. § 841 (2020).)

Seems excessive. This guy is definitely a dirtbag, but in the end the ultimate responsibility should be on the individual who ingests the substance. A 5-10 year sentence seems more appropriate to me.

Reactions: batts
Seems excessive. This guy is definitely a dirtbag, but in the end the ultimate responsibility should be on the individual who ingests the substance. A 5-10 year sentence seems more appropriate to me.
It is a federal statute...

Hence the problem with one size fits all/mandatory minimums.
Its a controlled substance, a narcotic...what is worse cocaine or oxy? They both lead to addiction change chemical makeup in brain to make you want to do more

Its a controlled substance, a narcotic...what is worse cocaine or oxy? They both lead to addiction change chemical makeup in brain to make you want to do more
So does sugar, it leads to addiction and changes chemical makeup in the brain.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Wow. That is one heavy sentence. The drug induced federal statute carries a minimum of 20 years if convicted. I wonder what plea deal was offered. These cases are usually very difficult to prosecute. But it looks like this guy didn't recognize how much evidence was against him.

Wow. That is one heavy sentence. The drug induced federal statute carries a minimum of 20 years if convicted. I wonder what plea deal was offered. These cases are usually very difficult to prosecute. But it looks like this guy didn't recognize how much evidence was against him.
These drugs are laced with heavy things. It's time we start making these sentences tougher if we want to protect our people.

I’m biased due to my general antipathy toward the “war” on drugs, but kind of outrageous this has been turned into the proverbial “federal case.” Seems like a crazy overreaction, driven solely by the fact Scaggs was a pro ball player.

These drugs are laced with heavy things. It's time we start making these sentences tougher if we want to protect our people.

Why don't you put any responsibility on the person seeking out and consuming such substances? Have we lost all personal accountability in society today?

You can't just go after the dealers. The users must be held accountable as well. Shut down the market from both sides.

Why don't you put any responsibility on the person seeking out and consuming such substances? Have we lost all personal accountability in society today?

You can't just go after the dealers. The users must be held accountable as well. Shut down the market from both sides.
I agree the end user needs to be held responsibible too. Most people know what they are doing. The user needs to be held responsible, however if people want to mess up their own life on their own....go for it. Take a substance like cocaine. The cocaine plant is highly regarded for it's medicinal benefits. People make tea with it and it's supposed to be very good for you. Now if you choose to refine it yourself and snort it that's on you. Sell the cocaine plant here I'm fine with it. But if you sell it in a form that harms and can kill people, you should be held accountable.

I’m biased due to my general antipathy toward the “war” on drugs, but kind of outrageous this has been turned into the proverbial “federal case.” Seems like a crazy overreaction, driven solely by the fact Scaggs was a pro ball player.
Well, this didn't help Kay's case (from the Washington Post):
District Judge Terry Means said he went above the minimum 20 years Kay faced because of remarks he made in prison.
Prosecutors played a tape of a prison phone conversation in which Kay said of Skaggs: “I hope people realize what a piece of s--- he was. … Well, he’s dead, so f--- him.”
Means said he that he had been dreading sentencing Kay because he felt mandatory minimums were “excessive.” But the judge said that the prison conversations showed a “refusal to accept responsibility and even be remorseful for something you caused.”
Reporting by the Orange County Register added that Kay, in a prison phone call, said of the Skaggs family: “All they see are dollar signs. They may get more money with him dead than if he was playing because he sucked.”

Well, this didn't help Kay's case (from the Washington Post):

Reporting by the Orange County Register added that Kay, in a prison phone call, said of the Skaggs family: “All they see are dollar signs. They may get more money with him dead than if he was playing because he sucked.”
It was captured (on recorded prison line) after he had been convicted to a crime with an outrageous mandatory minimum of 20 years so kind of understandable he’d lash out.

Reactions: shu09
It was captured (on recorded prison line) after he had been convicted to a crime with an outrageous mandatory minimum of 20 years so kind of understandable he’d lash out.
I guess anger get processed in different ways, but this sounds like he's lashing out at the Skaggs family, not the legal system.

Why does Kay get a 22 year sentence, while Matt Harvey receives immunity from prosecution, even though he admitted on the stand that he supplied Skaggs with drugs on a regular basis.

Sounds like a 2 tiered justice system

Reactions: shu09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT