ADVERTISEMENT

Flopping and more rule changes

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

NCAA men's hoops committee proposes T'ing up players who flop​

Myron Medcalf​

ESPN Staff Writer​

College basketball is tired of the flopping. And now, floppers could pay.

The NCAA men's basketball rules committee has proposed a rule that would assess a technical foul to players who "fake being fouled." It would be a Class B technical foul, so the opposing team would get one free throw attempt and the player would not be assessed a personal foul.

Under the current rules, a player is warned after flopping for the first time in a game. According to a release from the NCAA, if the rule is approved by the NCAA playing rules oversight panel on June 3, players could get hit with a technical foul for "falling to the court despite not being contacted after field goal attempts, dribblers who bob their heads to simulate being contacted and players who act like they were the recipient of contact despite not being touched."

"After two years of using warnings, we didn't feel like we were getting the results that we wanted," Tad Boyle, committee chair and head coach at Colorado, said in a statement. "We are trying to get flopping out of our game. We're asking the officials to call them when they happen."

The rules committee has also proposed a six-foul limit for players during the 2022 NIT. The NIT has previously been used for experimental rule changes. According to the committee, a player would be disqualified after committing four fouls in a half or six fouls overall, whichever happens first. So a player with one foul in the first half would foul out after committing an additional four fouls in the second half but a player with three fouls would have an additional three fouls to use after halftime.

Under the current five-foul limit, many coaches will pull a player after he commits his second foul in the first half.

"It is an out-of-the box proposal," Boyle said. "What is great about having a committee is you never know what will take off or what won't. Certainly, we weren't going to support it as a permanent rule without experimenting with it first."

Another proposal would allow the use of live stats and live video on the bench next season if conferences apply for a waiver to implement the technology. The usage would only be applicable in conference games. Multiple leagues, including the Mountain West, have experimented with the use of live or archived video in games through tablets and other devices in recent years.

The committee also proposed the use of a shot clock that shows tenths of a second and a rule that would let called timeouts replace some media timeouts to limit the disruption of game flow.

The trouble with the proposed “ Flopping “ rule change is that its application is subject to the three officials on the floor making the call and not going overboard and not only disrupting the flow of the game but turning it into a game of foul shots. Given how poorly some games have been officiated and with inconsistent calls I could see this rule become a more of a problem then a solution.

Reactions: BabyBlue
They act like flopping is a sneak attack on pearl harbor. Flopping is a skill. A minor one. Let the refs decide like they used to. And if flopping is illegal, we need to make it illegal for an offensive player to exaggerate their reaction to contact

....................And if flopping is illegal, we need to make it illegal for an offensive player to exaggerate their reaction to contact
..............dribblers who bob their heads to simulate being contacted and players who act like they were the recipient of contact despite not being touched.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Regarding the fouls rule. Does this mean if you have zero fouls at halftime, you foul out with four in the second half?

IMHO, that rule should be put back in the box and placed in storage.
It’s the dumbest proposed rule I’ve ever heard. Well second to putting a runner on second base to start extra innings but it’s up there in terms of idiotic ideas

It’s the dumbest proposed rule I’ve ever heard. Well second to putting a runner on second base to start extra innings but it’s up there in terms of idiotic ideas

I think it's dumber than the second base rule. I can at least see the reasoning behind that rule though I hate it. MLB doesn't want long games and teams are concerned with pitcher's workloads after a season that was reduced by a third. I'm hopeful the rule goes away after this year.

I think it's dumber than the second base rule. I can at least see the reasoning behind that rule though I hate it. MLB doesn't want long games and teams are concerned with pitcher's workloads after a season that was reduced by a third. I'm hopeful the rule goes away after this year.
Fair enough, I just hope the idiots in the MLB office don't think we as fans actually like having a runner start on 2nd base in extra innings or that it would make anyone more likely to watch. The game the Yankees lost where they gave up two measly fly balls showed just how dumb the rule is

Regarding the fouls rule. Does this mean if you have zero fouls at halftime, you foul out with four in the second half?

IMHO, that rule should be put back in the box and placed in storage.
That would mean Theo John only plays about 10 minutes a game next year 😉

Fair enough, I just hope the idiots in the MLB office don't think we as fans actually like having a runner start on 2nd base in extra innings or that it would make anyone more likely to watch. The game the Yankees lost where they gave up two measly fly balls showed just how dumb the rule is

Agree there. The rule made more sense last year when they didn't have the minor leagues and there was real concern about keeping pitchers healthy. Most teams only had about 20 arms to legitimately work with.

That would mean Theo John only plays about 10 minutes a game next year 😉

There would be games that Ike would play less than that. He has a tendency to get them in bunches.

The foul rule is designed to keep players from going to the bench after 2 quick fouls in the 1st half. I understand the intent bc it sucks when a good player sits for 10-15 minutes in the 1st half, especially after a poor or questionable call.

But IMO I don't want to give extra fouls to the hackers. I don't believe you should reward a player for only getting 2 or 3 fouls in the 1st half by giving them 6 total fouls but punishing the players who get 1 or 0 fouls in the 1st half by limiting them to 4 in the 2nd half. It's ass-backwards.

This proposed rule is plain stupid and harder to track during a game too for refs, coaches and players. Stick with 5 fouls or go to 6 and no more stipulations/complications around the rule. Let the players and coaches manage the foul situation but stick with one number of fouls for the whole game and leave it at that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT