ADVERTISEMENT

For those against Social Media

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
YouTube remains the most prevalent social media platform in the US, according to a new Pew study – and it’s still growing. Eighty-one percent of adults surveyed said they use YouTube, up from 73% in 2019. Facebook was number two, with 69% of Americans citing its usage (unchanged from 2019). Instagram (40%) and Pinterest (31%) each rose three percentage points YoY, while LinkedIn (28%), Snapchat (25%) and Twitter (23%) rose 1%. Reddit rose seven points, to 18%. TikTok joined the ranking for the first time, with 21% of US adults citing usage. "Despite a string of controversies and the public’s relatively negative sentiments about aspects of social media, roughly seven-in-ten Americans (72%) say they ever use any kind of social media site," noted the report.

That said, trust in US online sharing and networking brands suffered as brands attempted to balance their role as platforms for free expression with the need to prohibit objectionable content, according to a BrandZ analysis issued by Kantar. Social media brands ranked 67th, just below tobacco and business banking, out of 68 categories measured for level of trust in the US. (Number one? Diapers.) Multiple factors, including the pandemic, the presidential election and the drive for racial justice, served as catalysts for change in the online networking space, with brands being impacted by changes in consumer perceptions of them. “The online networking landscape is rapidly changing,” said Nicole Jones, SVP, Growth and Strategy, Kantar. “Media and entertainment brands will need to understand in greater depth the diversity of their audiences and develop content that resonates with the audiences they’re cultivating.”

Only comment I can offer from someone who has never used social media is that one made recently by my 2 year old grandson who recently said to me grandpa I hate You Tube.Seems his 9 year old brother uses You Tube and it annoys him.On a serious note N.Y. ShoreGuy I am glad you are doing better.

Only comment I can offer from someone who has never used social media is that one made recently by my 2 year old grandson who recently said to me grandpa I hate You Tube.Seems his 9 year old brother uses You Tube and it annoys him.On a serious note N.Y. ShoreGuy I am glad you are doing better.
You may not think of yourself as a user, but consider this place 2nd hand smoke... lol. You certainly are a consumer of social media.

YouTube is one of the most useful social media platforms I know.

The depth of product demonstrations, user instructions, how to, training, education, and other useful content is something I regularly use.

One anecdote my my wife loves to share us about when she discovered her 85 year old father had taken up stipple painting. When she asked him how he learned that, he replied, "YouTube".

Reactions: Hallsome
I mean, how can somebody be against social media? You'll probably just say that I am a teenager who is addicted to social media and cannot live without it. In fact, about 3 years ago, I was quite an introvert and could only socialize on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, etc. Not only did social media platforms help me develop better social skills and feel less isolated. These platforms also allowed me to be more creative. I started posting my paintings, and people would comment and share my posts. Then I decided to do a business out of it, so I started selling them on Facebook and Instagram. To get even more engagement with the public, I decided to use services that boost your social media accounts. I think I used BuzzVoice.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT