ADVERTISEMENT

Former Big East schools must love this

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
This is what happens when you simply take the money and run.

ACC to hold 2025-29 men's basketball tourneys in North Carolina​

The Atlantic Coast Conference will hold five straight men's basketball tournaments in North Carolina starting in 2025, while the women's tournament, which has had a longtime home in Greensboro -- the city of the league's founding -- will split time between there and Charlotte.

The ACC announced future sites for championships in 14 sports Thursday, coming ahead of next season's westward expansion that will add California and Stanford from the Pac-12 as well as SMU from the American Athletic Conference. Yet, in a year that saw the league move its headquarters from Greensboro to downtown Charlotte, the ACC unveiled 42 future championship events -- including those marquee basketball tournaments -- for its home state.

In a news conference in Charlotte, commissioner Jim Phillips estimated the events could have an economic impact of more than $400 million.

The men's basketball tournament -- next held in Washington, D.C. in March -- will take place in Charlotte in 2025, 2026 and 2028, while Greensboro will host it in 2027 and 2029. That five-year run in North Carolina would be the longest in the state since holding 11 straight in Charlotte and Greensboro from 1990 to 2000.

Greensboro has hosted the men's tournament a league-high 29 times, while Charlotte is tied for second with 13.

That would comply with a state budget provision tied to obtaining $15 million in state funds with its headquarters move last year. That provision required the league hold four men's basketball tournaments in the state among numerous championship events by the 2032-33 academic year.

The women's tournament has been held in Greensboro in all but one year dating to 2000 and will host again next month. The tournament will return in 2025 before going to Charlotte in 2027, with 2026 plans to be determined later.

The league's announcements also included that baseball will bounce between Charlotte and Durham through 2029, as will gymnastics, men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's lacrosse, men's and women's tennis, women's golf and rowing.

The football championship game is slated for Charlotte through 2030.

That’s what they signed up for. They shouldn’t be surprised. They joined a southern conference.

They had to do what they did. Sell their BB souls for FB money. But this is the result. They're always playing in someone else's backyard.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
NC is a beautiful state. Greensboro not so much.

I wouldn't be thrilled to have a tournament there ever.

You reap what you sow.

Reactions: Bluebeard
They had to do what they did. Sell their BB souls for FB money. But this is the result. They're always playing in someone else's backyard.
Not only that, but those schools' basketball and football fortunes have largely dimmed since their move, which not only makes them more irrelevant nationally, but gives them less and less leverage within their own conferences. I'm sure the ACC could not care less about what Boston College thinks about anything whatsoever, and Pitt and Syracuse aren't too far behind.

Boheim even if not still coaching has to be rolling his eyes on this. He hated playing in Greensboro and always claimed it didn't make sense for the conference to play there for recruiting exposure.
I am actually surprised they are going to DC this year. And coaches like Roy Williams hated playing in Brooklyn.

Syracuse, BC, and Pitt are oddballs in that conference. They are indeed in purgatory/limbo.

woe is them.

Remember Miami, BE team and perennial NC contender in fb.

How about that Flutie vs Miami game the day after Thanksgiving.

At least they have memories

Lots hate Boeheim, but he spoke up about his dislike for the breakup and if he was coaching now he would speak up about the rancid NIL policy.

If I remember right, all of this happened because someone decided that you must have 12 schools in order to have a conference football championship game. That’s when the greed started. Most conferences had about 10 members at the time. That’s when the greed began, much to the detriment of the schools, the student athletes and especially anyone not on or associated with the football team.

Lived in Greensboro for three years and it’s a nice place to live but it’s in the middle of nowhere. Attended the ACC tournament. The Greensboro Colosseum: Yuck!

Actually saw an NCAA regional there and if my memory serves me UCONN beat Washington or Wash State at the buzzer on a Rip Hamilton jumper in the lane off a scramble. Crazy.

Reactions: Piratz
The fans might not like it, but I don't think any of those schools regret their decision...

P5 revenue share last year: BigTen ~$59M, SEC ~$50M, Big12 ~$43M, ACC ~$40M

For comparison purposes I think the BigEast revenue share is ~$5M

In most professions, you make a move for more money and you suck and you stop making that money. Not relevant to this discussion though.

Thinking back to watching the Duke FF game with two friends who went to BC at my house. They busted my balls so hard for about 15 minutes. And then they just watched us kick Duke's ass!

Reactions: Piratz
The fans might not like it, but I don't think any of those schools regret their decision...

Yes, but when comparing what we get against what they get you have to remember they are spending an incredible amount of that money on football which we (sadly) are not.

Correct, we don't have a football expense but that revenue goes a long way to help basketball. Look at their basketball facilities - $100M+ practice facilities, new arenas, double the coaching budgets, etc. That P5 revenue share funds the basketball arms race.

Reactions: Piratz and TomD82
woe is them.

Remember Miami, BE team and perennial NC contender in fb.

How about that Flutie vs Miami game the day after Thanksgiving.

At least they have memories

Lots hate Boeheim, but he spoke up about his dislike for the breakup and if he was coaching now he would speak up about the rancid NIL policy.
Miami was long independent into the early 90s for football...the Big East hybrid football league had some good seasons. Miami and Va Tech made the league

Miami was long independent into the early 90s for football...the Big East hybrid football league had some good seasons. Miami and Va Tech made the league
We helped Miami with their football but got screwed out of their baseball which never played in the Big East. Same thing basically happened with Notre Dame. We helped them with basketball and they held back their football. Not sure why we ever agreed to those deals.

We helped Miami with their football but got screwed out of their baseball which never played in the Big East. Same thing basically happened with Notre Dame. We helped them with basketball and they held back their football. Not sure why we ever agreed to those deals.

If Notre Dame is truly committed to remaining independent in football it would be nice to see them back in the BigEast.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Cuse fans thought for certain that the ACC would kick the BE out of MSG in years the ACC wanted to be there. And in their mind, since the ACC would become the best basketball league in the land and the BE would be around the A10 level, MSG would have no choice.

Reactions: radecicco and SOBO1
Cuse fans thought for certain that the ACC would kick the BE out of MSG in years the ACC wanted to be there. And in their mind, since the ACC would become the best basketball league in the land and the BE would be around the A10 level, MSG would have no choice.
If Syracuse wanted to play in the world's greatest arena in the world’s greatest city in the world’s best basketball conference they shouldn’t have joined a southern conference that offers none of that.

But hey, there’s probably a Waffle House around somewhere where they can spend time between games, right? That’s gotta count for something!

If Syracuse wanted to play in the world's greatest arena in the world’s greatest city in the world’s best basketball conference they shouldn’t have joined a southern conference that offers none of that.

But hey, there’s probably a Waffle House around somewhere where they can spend time between games, right? That’s gotta count for something!
Denny’s, Arby’s, Chic-Fil-A. Whoof! But the pulled pork sandwiches at the local joints are really good.

Last edited:

That’s the motivating factor and always will be. They don’t care about culture fits, fans, geographic relevancy, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT