ADVERTISEMENT

Fox Sports analyst Donny Marshall talks all things Big East Tournament

CL82

All Big East
Oct 31, 2002
Q: How do you see the St. John’s-Seton Hall quarterfinal?

A: Those kids have grown up playing against one another, some of them, there’s always that New Jersey versus New York. … That is the most compelling matchup, at least early, in all of the conference tournaments.

It’s a St. John’s team that, they run you out of the gym, they make you turn the ball over, they’ll do three things beautifully and then two things right after that that you’re scratching your head about. And for Seton Hall, they need Mamu (Sandro Mamukelashvili) to be the alpha male. I think Seton Hall needs to take St. John’s as seriously as St. John’s is taking Seton Hall. Seton Hall was one of those teams that was picked at the top in the beginning so there’s always that feel of, “OK, we are good, we just have to play like we’re good, we gotta show everyone how good we are.” Where St. John’s is like, “No one believed in us. We got a chip on our shoulder. We’re gonna go shock the world.”

So I think that there’s more pressure on Seton Hall because of the expectations at the beginning of the season, and because of the pieces they have. … To me, St. John’s is one of those teams that’s playing with that dog in ’em. They’re trying to shock the world.

Link to article

Glad they fixed the headline. The original headline said "Donyell Marshall." In fact if you look at the link address, it still says Donyell.

Q: How do you see the St. John’s-Seton Hall quarterfinal?

A: Those kids have grown up playing against one another, some of them, there’s always that New Jersey versus New York. … That is the most compelling matchup, at least early, in all of the conference tournaments.

It’s a St. John’s team that, they run you out of the gym, they make you turn the ball over, they’ll do three things beautifully and then two things right after that that you’re scratching your head about. And for Seton Hall, they need Mamu (Sandro Mamukelashvili) to be the alpha male. I think Seton Hall needs to take St. John’s as seriously as St. John’s is taking Seton Hall. Seton Hall was one of those teams that was picked at the top in the beginning so there’s always that feel of, “OK, we are good, we just have to play like we’re good, we gotta show everyone how good we are.” Where St. John’s is like, “No one believed in us. We got a chip on our shoulder. We’re gonna go shock the world.”

So I think that there’s more pressure on Seton Hall because of the expectations at the beginning of the season, and because of the pieces they have. … To me, St. John’s is one of those teams that’s playing with that dog in ’em. They’re trying to shock the world.

Link to article
Johnnies less to lose - young team who will be back next year and even stronger. Our guys are Seniors and have been on the stage before, but this is a curtain call for them. They have more pressure.

Sometimes youth and reckless abandon are better in this kind of situation. Look at our sophomores led by Whitehead who knocked off Nova to win championship. I‘d rather have youthful bravado sometimes and less overthinking.

Of course, hit your shots, defend and rebound - it’s not rocket science. Protect the ball and play with a high BB IQ. Let’s see how it shakes out tomorrow.

You figure one of these days we need to end the losing streak.

Last edited:
Nova is “plug n play”? I don’t know what Donny’s smoking. You don’t possibly replace a wooden award finalist who happens to be your PG with a 3rd string virtual walk-on at the most important position in CBB. Espec so late in the season.

I will always remember him saying that Myles Powell was best player on the 18 team (early in season). It was surprising hearing that with Delgado, Carrington and Desi on the team, but he was flat out right.

Nova is “plug n play”? I don’t know what Donny’s smoking. You don’t possibly replace a wooden award finalist who happens to be your PG with a 3rd string virtual walk-on at the most important position in CBB. Espec so late in the season.
Yes, Nova system is more than players. Antoine from Ranney school in NJ is a 5 star freshman guard and Caleb Daniels is a stud transfer from Tulane who has had a great year at guard.

Nova is still a team I never count out. System is bigger than any one player and they have a HOF coach. Ever hear of Gonzaga? Also have a HOF coach who hasn’t missed a NCAA tourney in 24 plus years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT