ADVERTISEMENT

Fraud and Corruption Charges in College Basketball - noon presser

Auburn, Ok St, South Carolina are some of the schools I have seen mentioned. This is BIG news.

Let's see if anyone goes down. Even if they don't this will have a very positive long range effect on college sports as it will make it very difficult for the cheaters to do what they have been doing with impunity.

Everyone bends the rules. But some absolutely obliterate them.

In a broad crackdown on college basketball corruption, U.S. prosecutors unveiled charges Tuesday against 10 coaches, managers, financial advisers and representatives of a sportswear company, accusing them of bribery, fraud and corruption in recruitment in college basketball. Federal prosecutors in Manhattan said they will announce the charges against the defendants at a noon news conference. Among those charged are four coaches.

According to the WSJ, law-enforcement officials are expected to arrest at least a half-dozen people and unseal charges Tuesday "as part of a wide-ranging investigation into alleged bribery and kickback schemes at several of the country’s top-tier college basketball programs, people familiar with the matter said."

Investigators have been looking at whether coaches at these schools have been paid by outside entities—such as financial advisers, agents, and apparel companies—in exchange for pressuring players to associate with those entities, people familiar with the investigation said. Executives at at least one apparel company are expected to be among those arrested, a person familiar with the matter said.

Acording to NBC, coaches at Auburn University, Oklahoma State, South Carolina University and others will be among those charged in the corruption scheme and/or arrested.

The investigation, which is being led by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office, has shed light on the highly competitive recruiting pipeline that brings elite high-school basketball players through Division I college programs and into the professional leagues, and the role played by assistant coaches in that process, WSJ sources said.

I saw some reference to San Diego State, an assistant coach. Would that be an assistant to the same Fisher formerly of Michigan who did not know his players were on the take from a bookmaker??

Could this be the end of Rick Pitino?

Second accusation of cheating in as many years and second time charges are being brought as well.

You can only plead lack of knowledge so many times, before even your most ardent supporters realize your a full of it.

South Carolina, just shocking, shocking that they would do such a thing...Frank Martin would NEVER hire Assistants like this if he knew what they were doing...well, at least we confirmed what secured Silva's commitment.

I saw some reference to San Diego State, an assistant coach. Would that be an assistant to the same Fisher formerly of Michigan who did not know his players were on the take from a bookmaker??
I think Tony Bland, who is at USC now has SD St ties from what I read.

South Carolina, just shocking, shocking that they would do such a thing...Frank Martin would NEVER hire Assistants like this if he knew what they were doing...well, at least we confirmed what secured Silva's commitment.
Come on back Chris. o_O

Reactions: Section112
Has to be Nike........

Book Richardson is a NYC guy
DKqDsrJVAAA1xtm.jpg:large

Reactions: SHUSource and shu09
I'm sure many of our dialed in posters that are highly thought of on the board (at least for me - Dan, Artie, Steve, Rodrjd, Fishjam amongst others) have some crazy stories about college hoops recruiting. The fact that this is now public info is what is probably most shocking. I get it that some of our fans have been frustrated with our lack of success for the 2018 class but I think some of our posters should now realize that their is more to recruiting than playing time, size of campus, conference affiliation, etc. I'm not saying it's all about the might dollar but to not think that's part of it is naive.

Reactions: Vince
I'm sure many of our dialed in posters that are highly thought of on the board (at least for me - Dan, Artie, Steve, Rodrjd, Fishjam amongst others) have some crazy stories about college hoops recruiting. The fact that this is now public info is what is probably most shocking. I get it that some of our fans have been frustrated with our lack of success for the 2018 class but I think some of our posters should now realize that their is more to recruiting than playing time, size of campus, conference affiliation, etc. I'm not saying it's all about the might dollar but to not think that's part of it is naive.
I will just say this. When I was younger and before I had access to the info I presently do I thought it was bad as I'm sure most of our readers do now. But fast forward to today and I will add what I thought was happening back then doesn't even scratch the surface.

From reading everything so far, it looks like a bunch of separate unrelated cases which is good for us.

This may lead to a country wide cleaning of up of college sports.

Reactions: shu09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT