ADVERTISEMENT

FT Disparity In Purdue Northwestern Game

Hall-O-Daze

All Big East
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2020
Up in the clouds
46-8 in favor of purdue. Horrible b1g refs, trying to protect their extremely overrated golden child because they know they’ve got nothing else this season. Pathetic. Say what you want about Chris Collins, but he was right to blow up at the refs and get tossed in OT. Someone needs to shine a light on that BS. Can’t wait for Purdue to get knocked out by yet another double digit seed. Most overrated program in all of college sports right now.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
I wonder if it has anything to do with Purdue's top scorer being 7-foot-4 and being hacked to death every time he touches the ball?

Collins must think he's still at Duke and Coach K is still on his sideline. He never minded these kinds of disparities then, I'm sure.

That said, yes, they'll probably be a quick out again in March. They're not built for the NCAAs, obviously.

The only reason Nwestern was able to hang around in that game is Purdue missed like half of their FT attempts, but that is a pretty ridiculous imbalance, even with Edey getting hack-a-shaq-ed.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
NW made 14 of 27 3PA last night. Yes there was a massive foul disparity (30-15 in favor of Purdue) but it’s not like they were living in the paint as much as Purdue.

With that said, what Collins did will definitely put the Edey foul situation in the limelight. It will be interesting to see how the refs call it going forward. That one foul that was posted all over social media where the NW guard had his hands straight up and somehow managed to get called for a foul was all-time ridiculous. I would have gotten thrown out too. I say good for Collins.

I don’t subscribe to the league conspiracy theories. But I do think the refs are often awed by celebrity whether a player or a coach. And there are many lazy refs who whistle based on position and not because they saw a foul.

If you watch Purdue play, you know Edey gets fouled "intentionally" a ton. He's a 66% FG shooter and a 68% free throw shooter in Big 10 play. Against Northwestern he shot 8-17 on FTs.

I did not watch the Northwestern game so I can't comment but on paper a 46-8 difference is absurd... until you start drilling down a little.

Edey drew 14 fouls alone. He's a load to defend and keep off the boards much the way Shaquille O'Neal was in his prime (I'm comparing size only). Relatively speaking he can be unguardable. Giving fouls is a way to try to reduce his effectiveness (see 8-17).

As a result of the above, Purdue shots more than nine free throws per game than their opponents in Big 10 play. Conversely, Northwestern averages 10 fewer free throw attempts per game in league play than their opponents. That theoretically puts them 19 shots in the hole on an average night against Purdue.

I haven't seen much of Northwestern but they have apparently have a rep as a physical team. In their last game against Ohio State, OSU shot 33 free throws to NU's 17 but the Wildcats won by 25.

Reactions: SHUSource
I watched a good portion of that game and the refs called multiple fouls on Northwestern players who were in legal guarding position and vertical arms against Edey, simply because he's bigger. In one, he literally shouldered the defender away to get the layup AND GOT A FOUL CALLED on the defender. It was just baffling. It's such a strange phenomenon to me because often you'll see bigger players get called FOR those fouls instead of the defenders getting called for them.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
I wonder if it has anything to do with Purdue's top scorer being 7-foot-4 and being hacked to death every time he touches the ball?

Collins must think he's still at Duke and Coach K is still on his sideline. He never minded these kinds of disparities then, I'm sure.

That said, yes, they'll probably be a quick out again in March. They're not built for the NCAAs, obviously.
Edey took 17 FTs, thus 30+ fouls were on someone under 7 foot tall. Still an awful disparity.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze

Northwestern's Chris Collins gets fine, public reprimand​

• Associated Press
ROSEMONT, Ill. -- Northwestern coach Chris Collins was handed a $5,000 fine and a public reprimand from the Big Ten on Friday for violating the league's sportsmanship policy at the end of the Wildcats' overtime loss to No. 2 Purdue.

The Big Ten handed out the punishment while noting the league "expects all contests involving a member institution to be conducted without compromise to any fundamental element of sportsmanship." The Big Ten said those fundamental elements include "integrity of the competition, civility toward all, and respect, particularly toward opponents and officials."

Collins was ejected with 1.7 seconds remaining in Purdue's 105-96 victory Wednesday night. The ejection came after he walked onto the court and yelled at an official with the ball still in play. A Northwestern player restrained Collins and led him to the bench.

Collins then congratulated Purdue coach Matt Painter and center Zach Edey before heading toward the locker room while gesturing for Purdue's fans to boo him louder.

Purdue attempted 46 free throws, while Northwestern had only eight.

"I don't know if you've ever seen a disparity like that in a Big Ten game," Collins said. "I mean, I feel like we were aggressive, too. But [Northwestern's] Boo [Buie] doesn't shoot a free throw in the game? It's kind of crazy, but that's how the game is called."

Reactions: walshtrips
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT