ADVERTISEMENT

Future of College Football

TrueBlue1989

All American
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005

College football will follow this same model with 25 or so elite teams breaking off. Media right deals will more than double for the winners. Teams excluded will have media rights economics collapse; I expect multiple schools drop or downgrade football. In football there is less than 10 schools each year that have a chance at a National Championship. I would not be surprised if players are paid by the schools in the new super conference.

soccer fans are livid and blaming the american owners for starting this. the UK clubs were basically founded and supported by the working class and this will take over a hundred years of tradition and spit in its face.

in addition any player in this league will NOT be able to play for the world cup or olympics. world cup is kind of important to a lot of players.

College football will follow this same model with 25 or so elite teams breaking off. Media right deals will more than double for the winners. Teams excluded will have media rights economics collapse; I expect multiple schools drop or downgrade football. In football there is less than 10 schools each year that have a chance at a National Championship. I would not be surprised if players are paid by the schools in the new super conference.
So basically the SEC and a small handful of others.

As we learned for being part of the Big East over the years, we always will need to keep a pulse on the movement of the major football powers and conferences because it can change the formation of conferences and tv/streaming provider contracts.

For us now in the new Big East (besides uconn) football schools don't effect us directly and with a solid contract with Fox Sports, at least for the short term we just need to monitor how it changes the landscape of the NCAA I believe.

What is the uconn's exit fine should they leave us (not saying they could or would but just in case)?
How long is our Fox Sports - Big East contract?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
if teams like duke, unc arent invited to the football super league then they should demote their football and start a basketball super league with the big east, gonzaga, and other teams. in fact they should get ahead of it and do it first LOL.

All the usual suspects.

Maybe doing this will make football more affordable for those outside of the 25 and level the playing field a bit.
being that baylor, a football school just waxed a basketball only school for the title this can only be bad news. basketball schools have to get ahead of it or be ready.

As we learned for being part of the Big East over the years, we always will need to keep a pulse on the movement of the major football powers and conferences because it can change the formation of conferences and tv/streaming provider contracts.

For us now in the new Big East (besides uconn) football schools don't effect us directly and with a solid contract with Fox Sports, at least for the short term we just need to monitor how it changes the landscape of the NCAA I believe.

What is the uconn's exit fine should they leave us (not saying they could or would but just in case)?
How long is our Fox Sports - Big East contract?
Zero chance that UConn is involved

Zero chance that UConn is involved
I agree but you have to look at movements down the line, about the future dominos to fall...

For instance in a crazy example that Kentucky coaching job opens up, i'm not worried about Willard to Kentucky directly but I worried about (again hypothetical here) Turgeon goes to Kentucky, Maryland opens up and we lose Willard and Skinn or just Skinn by himself joins their staff of new coach affecting many players on current team (with no sit out rule) and player we have been recruiting out of HS for years.

So directly it didn't affect us but down the road it could.

Haha, of course, I didn't think uconn would be directly involved here.

What if the SEC or Big 12 loses a few teams and need to replace them...they take a few ACC schools, uconn then hypothetically could be involved

In the first 6 years it's $30 million; years 7 through 9 it's $15 million; after that it's $10 million.

Runs through 06/30/2025.
Thank you.

This info seems to makes our current situation more stable. In the old big east administrators would be losing their hair right about now and almost all ADs would be wheeling and dealing behind the scenes while smiling like nothing is going on in public.

Big East is in a much better situation.

I agree but you have to look at movements down the line, about the future dominos to fall...

For instance in a crazy example that Kentucky coaching job opens up, i'm not worried about Willard to Kentucky directly but I worried about (again hypothetical here) Turgeon goes to Kentucky, Maryland opens up and we lose Willard and Skinn or just Skinn by himself joins their staff of new coach affecting many players on current team (with no sit out rule) and player we have been recruiting out of HS for years.

So directly it didn't affect us but down the road it could.

Haha, of course, I didn't think uconn would be directly involved here.

What if the SEC or Big 12 loses a few teams and need to replace them...they take a few ACC schools, uconn then hypothetically could be involved
I would think/hope conferences would go back to more manageable sizes of 8-10 members as they would not need the bloated number for conference tournaments anymore. Only the select 25 would be going for the big prize so no one would really care as much what the second string is doing at that point.

Would seem to be tougher to pull this off with all the grants of rights colleges have signed.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Most expire over next 5 years or so.
The ACC and SEC both have long-term media grant-of-rights agreements, running through 2035-36 and 2033-34, respectively. But the other three Power 5 conferences have agreements ending roughly around the same time (the SEC's Tier 1 deal with CBS runs through 2023-24). The Big Ten last summer opted for a shorter agreement with Fox and ESPN, which runs through 2022-23. The Pac-12 deal expires after the 2023-24 sports year, and the Big 12's ends the following year.

Without the SEC, it's a no go.

The ACC and SEC both have long-term media grant-of-rights agreements, running through 2035-36 and 2033-34, respectively. But the other three Power 5 conferences have agreements ending roughly around the same time (the SEC's Tier 1 deal with CBS runs through 2023-24). The Big Ten last summer opted for a shorter agreement with Fox and ESPN, which runs through 2022-23. The Pac-12 deal expires after the 2023-24 sports year, and the Big 12's ends the following year.

Without the SEC, it's a no go.

Agreed so just a matter of time.

being that baylor, a football school just waxed a basketball only school for the title this can only be bad news. basketball schools have to get ahead of it or be ready.
That is the plan, to make march madness about P5 fb schools. Non P5 teams did pretty well this year. 2 FF, at least 4 Sweet 16s. But the wolf is at the door, and most of us are throwing them a sheep and saying eat up.

I can definitely see this happening and I actually think it could be significantly less than 25 teams. The NCAA already doesn't control football's national championship so what's to stop it? I think we'll see one (16 team max) football super-conference. The "power 5" will be devesated and this league's champion will claim the national champion crown. You can call it pulling a UCF but they won't care becaues this one league will control 95% of the money in college football.

Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Georgia
Oregon (Nike U will buy their way in)
USC
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Oklahoma
Texas
Clemson
Florida State
Notre Dame

As for the AAC schools who are desperately waiting for their chance, convinced the power 5 will expand again: Some of them may get invites to what's left of the "power 5" conferences but the money will be gone and they'll find themselves even further shut out from competing for college football's top prize.

if teams like duke, unc arent invited to the football super league then they should demote their football and start a basketball super league with the big east, gonzaga, and other teams. in fact they should get ahead of it and do it first LOL.
Between fan interest, student/brand issues and gambling, there will always be a market and league for schools that fall outside of any such super league. UNC, for example, is having a football rebirth under Mack Brown and has a Heisman contender at QB next year. There will still be significant interest for high level football at schools that one might think are excluded from any super league, and that means plenty of money to be made and reasons for those schools to invest in the program.

What would be good for College Football is to find a way to to expand the CFP not by giving more spots to the SEC or Big 10, but to find a way to get the other conferences in the mix to have a shot at the National Championship. The sport needs to go to a Power 8 Conference structure and let the winners of the 8 conferences compete in a CFP to determine the National Champion. This way you get more of the country involved and also get a chance to keep top recruits home instead of flocking to Alabama, Ohio St. et al..

Well that didn't last long, teams are backing out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT