ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - SHU vs Va Tech

I really thought we were going to Final Four in hoops before COVID. Maybe the sports gods will reward us and we get to College Cup.

I have to give you credit. A few weeks ago you said this team can compete for National Championship. Nice work.
Thanks but I don’t need any credit, I’m sure there were a few others in here who follow the team and sport had a good idea they could, but Indiana is a big step up in class compared to the previous 2 games. Indiana is a very good team. I’m actually a little disappointed they gave up 2 goals. But Vtech is a good team/ borderline top 25 in the ACC which is a soccer power conference.

And not to sound like a broken record, but wonder where the few posters who were killing me about the previous coach and the coaching change are now?

Reactions: SnakeTom
You couldn’t write a movie script that captured the excitement of last nights game and the way we won, on the goalkeeper taking the winning PK and stopping two of VT’s PK’s. This unexpected season continues for SH as it advances to the Elite Eight . Great gutsy win by a team that refuses to be beat and now it faces its biggest challenge playing Indiana , one of the nations best programs , but don’t count this team out .
stopping one AFTER we were down 1. all they needed was to score one more goal

Last edited:
Thanks but I don’t need any credit, I’m sure there were a few others in here who follow the team and sport had a good idea they could, but Indiana is a big step up in class compared to the previous 2 games. Indiana is a very good team. I’m actually a little disappointed they gave up 2 goals. But Vtech is a good team/ borderline top 25 in the ACC which is a soccer power conference.

And not to sound like a broken record, but wonder where the few posters who were killing me about the previous coach and the coaching change are now?

I’m thinking that maybe they can be found in his household??

I’m just joking because everyone always says how boring soccer is, just shows anything can be exciting if you have a vested interest in the game
I actually love the skill of the game but don’t invest much time watching. That second Va Tech goal was pretty.

If you think about it, the only time Seton Hall led the entire time was on Nota’s goal. The rest of the game we were either tied or behind. Great job by the team! On to Indiana!

I’m just joking because everyone always says how boring soccer is, just shows anything can be exciting if you have a vested interest in the game
I started out like most kids a baseball,football, basketball, and hockey fan. Over the years "The Beautiful Game"...soccer has become my favorite (of course along with SHU Hoops!) When played at a high level it's such a fantastic thing to watch. I recently watched the Leeds (My team in the Premiere League) vs Manchester United game. It was a 0-0 draw but a very enjoyable, highly entertaining game. A lot of people who don't follow soccer would never understand that. On the other hand watching baseball ...and the Yankees in particular early this season (I'm a lifelong Bombers fan) has been painful, boring, eeehh.🥱🤤😴

Last edited:
Reactions: hallsoccer03
I started out like most kids a baseball,football, basketball, and hockey fan. Over the years "The Beautiful Game"...soccer has become my favorite (of course along with SHU Hoops!) When played at a high level it's such a fantastic thing to watch. I recently watched the Leeds (My team in the Premiere League) vs Manchester City game. It was a 0-0 draw but a very enjoyable, highly entertaining game. A lot of people who don't follow soccer would never understand that. On the other hand watching baseball ...and the Yankees in particular early this season (I'm a lifelong Bombers fan) has been painful, boring, eeehh.🥱🤤😴
Premier league is a very good style of soccer to watch, quick up and down game. Serie a is a struggle at times to watch and the La liga games can be too. Looking forward to watching the Champions league final and watching and American win it

While we did well to come from behind twice against VT, I think we were actually very close to winning a very comfortable game. From my understanding, Tech is a strong defensive side that isn't really built to play from behind. If we finished 1 of our early chances, we'd have been in great shape. We'd have been golden with 2.

Reactions: Pirate Russ

Hokies fall to No. 6 Seton Hall in penalty kicks​

Resilient Tech side bows out of fifth-consecutive NCAA Tournament​

group_20MS21_ncaa3_3907R.jpg

CARY, N.C. – The Virginia Tech men's soccer team's NCAA postseason run came to an end in penalty kicks against No. 6 Seton Hall on Thursday night.

It took eight rounds of penalty kicks, but the Pirates (10-1-4, 5-1-2 Big East) eventually ended the Hokies (7-6-4, 5-5-2 ACC) fifth-consecutive NCAA Tournament run.

Virginia Tech scrapped their way into a lead in the first half, going against the grain of the game, when Nick Blacklock's shot from outside the box was deflected into the net in the 14th minute.

Tech held that lead for most of the half, but Seton Hall grabbed an equalizer in the dying moments of the first half off a header from Maurice Williams.

Blacklock grabbed his second of the night off a great offensive move from the Hokies. Jakob Bluemler stormed through the Seton Hall defense before playing Jacob Labovitz, who laid it off to Blacklock for his brace and to give the lead back to Tech.

Seton Hall did not bow out of the match, however. A troublesome ball off a corner in the 80th minute caused enough commotion for the Pirates to hammer home a late game-tying goal, sending the match to extra time.

Thursday's match was the third time in as many games that Tech went to overtime and the eighth time in the 2020-21 campaign.

Elite_8_Bound.png

Georgetown, Seton Hall Advance To NCAA Men’s Soccer Quarterfinals​

#BEfútbol boasts two in the final eight for the second time since 2014.​

CARY, N.C. – Georgetown and Seton Hall continue to advance in the NCAA Championship as the Hoyas and Pirates move on the NCAA Quarterfinal Rounds. Georgetown defeated Penn State 3-2 in an afternoon match, while Seton Hall outlasted Virginia Tech in a sudden win shootout, 7-6, which went late into Thursday night. Marquette played the evening match but lost 2-1 to No. 3 Indiana.

Georgetown and Seton Hall will both play Monday in the Quarterfinals. No. 8 seed Georgetown (10-1-2) will play Marshall at WakeMed Field in Cary, N.C. at 1 p.m. ET. No. 6 seed Seton Hall will face the Hoosiers at the same field at 6 p.m. Both games will be streamed on NCAA.com.

The last time the BIG EAST had at least two teams in the Quarterfinals was 2014. Creighton, Georgetown and Providence all made the round of eight. It is the seventh time the BIG EAST has boasted two or more teams in the quarterfinals (2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2007 and 2002).

Hoyas Down Penn State 3-2 to Advance to NCAA Quarterfinals
The eighth-seeded Georgetown University men's soccer team scored early and held on for a 3-2 victory over the Penn State University Nittany Lions on Thursday afternoon in the third round of the NCAA Tournament at WakeMed Park in Cary, North Carolina. With the win, the Hoyas move to 10-1-2 on the season, while the Nittany Lions conclude their campaign with a mark of 9-2-2. Georgetown opened the scoring early as a foul in the box resulted in the penalty kick in the ninth minute. Sophomore Dante Polvara lined up and buried it to make it 1-0.

Just four minutes later, the Nittany Lions equalized on a PK of their own to even it at one. In the 30th minute, GU broke through as junior Sean Zawadzki flipped the play with a beautiful pass to Kyle Linhares. The freshman got past his defenders on the right side and sent a ball into the box. It found junior Zach Riviere who took two touches before firing to the far post to put the Hoyas on top 2-1. Georgetown wasn't done yet as Linhares sent in a cross in from the corner in the waning seconds of the first period. He managed to hit graduate student Martin Ngoh who rose above the crowd to flick it in and put the Hoyas ahead 3-1 going into the break.

Penn State would add one more in the 59th minute, but it was the Hoya defense that stood strong down the stretch.

Full Recap

No. 6 Pirates Defeat Virginia Tech in Shootout, 7-6, Advance to Quarterfinals (2-2 2OT)
Seton Hall senior goalkeeper Andreas Nota made two stops on penalty kicks before calling his own number and stepping up to bury the clinching penalty to advance Seton Hall past Virginia Tech 7-6 on PKs and into the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals for the first time since 1988. The Pirates did their scoring trailing late in each half. Virginia Tech scored first with a Nick Blacklock goal assisted by Jacob Labovitz in the 14th minute. With 26 seconds left to play in the first period, Maurice Williams got his head on a James Boote free kick to even the score just before half. The Hokies retook the lead in the 56th minute with Blacklock's second tally assisted again by Labovitz. With a little under 10 minutes remaining and the season on the line, Andrea Borg (Sliema, Malta) stepped up in a big way. Off of a Boote corner, the ball was loose in front of the net when Borg was able to get his foot to it and find the equalizer for the Pirates. The teams traded opportunities with the remaining time in regulation, but the game headed for OT. Both overtime periods were largely uneventful with the Hokies outshooting the Pirates 2-1. With no winner after 110 minutes, both teams readied for PKs. After seven rounds of penalties, the score was still tied 6-6 with each keeper making a stop. Johannes Pex CJ Tibbling, Boote, JP Marin, Borg, and Eden O'Leary all converted for the Pirates to that point. Facing his eighth penalty kick, Nota came up with a crucial stop to give the Pirates a chance to win the game.

Full Recap

Marquette Falls to Indiana in Sweet 16
The No. 19/12 Golden Eagles fell 2-1 in the NCAA Tournament's Round of 16 to the No. 2/3 Indiana Hoosiers on Thursday night at WakeMed Field. The Golden Eagles (8-3-2, 5-1-1 BIG EAST) took the lead in the first half when redshirt sophomore A.J. Franklin scored his first career goal. It came in the 44th minute on a left-footed firecracker from outside the box to give his team a 1-0 lead late in the first half. MU's lead lasted into halftime and the next 27 minutes of play before the Hoosiers (10-1-1, 7-1-0 B1G) were able to get on the board. Forward Herbert Endeley scored on a pass in the box from Hermann Trophy Semifinalist Victor Bezzerra in the 71st minute to tie the game. IU would take the lead less than nine minutes later on a goal from Mauloloune Goumballe in the 80th minute, a goal that proved to be the final tally of the game. The Golden Eagles had two chances late, with the best one coming on a header try from Manuel Cukaj that was saved by Roman Celentano.

Full Recap

Upcoming #BEfútbol Schedule
Monday, May 10 (all times Eastern)

No. 8 GEORGETOWN vs. Marshall, 1 p.m.
No. 6 SETON HALL vs. No. 3 Indiana, 6 p.m.

Results
Sunday, May 2

No. 8 GEORGETOWN 2, High Point 0
No. 6 SETON HALL 2, Air Force 1
MARQUETTE 0, No. 4 Loyola Marymount 0 (2OT), MU advanced on PK’s, 3-1
Thursday, May 6
No. 8 GEORGETOWN 3, Penn State 2
No. 3 Indiana 2, MARQUETTE 1
No. 6 SETON HALL 2, Virginia Tech 2 (OT). SHU advanced on PK’S 7-6

Premier league is a very good style of soccer to watch, quick up and down game. Serie a is a struggle at times to watch and the La liga games can be too. Looking forward to watching the Champions league final and watching and American win it
I enjoy the Premiere League, but I'm a big Bundesliga fan. Champions league final will be fun but it's sad for me as a Bayern fan, they should have been there. The Bayern/Man City matchup would have been great. The 2 best teams IMHO. About as bad of luck as a team can have for Bayern, they lose the best player in the world (Lewandowski ), on top of that have their second best striker Gnabry go down with Covid the day before and if that's not bad enough their 3rd most dangerous scoring threat Goretzka get hurt. ...and they still almost gutted it out! Just a shame. Should have had back to back titles if not for that unbelievable run of luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT