ADVERTISEMENT

GATORADE STATE HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS OF THE YEAR

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
The Gatorade State Player of the Year award was established in 1985 to recognize the nation’s most outstanding high school student-athletes for their athletic excellence, academic achievement and exemplary character. The filter bar below allows you to search all state winners since 1985.

Haven't done well at the Hall

1997-98 we got Al Harrington but he bypassed college for the NBA

1990-91 Danny Hurley

1989-90 Luthor Wright

Haven't done well at the Hall

1997-98 we got Al Harrington but he bypassed college for the NBA

1990-91 Danny Hurley

1989-90 Luthor Wright
Ive often heard the al Harrington to Shu story but did he ever officially commit?

I was told back then he 100% committed to Amaker if he was to go to college.

Tidbit. Amaker still attended his HS graduation despite knowing he was going to the NBA. That so impressed junior teammate Sam Dalembert that the big man said the following season that was one of the reasons he chose to go to the Hall.

Tidbit. Amaker still attended his HS graduation despite knowing he was going to the NBA. That so impressed junior teammate Sam Dalembert that the big man said the following season that was one of the reasons he chose to go to the Hall.
Amaker was one smooth operator when it came to gestures of "sincerity." One of the best I've even heard of.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989

Sumer of1997 on the court in the basement at Walsh, under the stage, I remember sitting on the base of the Basket with Jimmy Cavallo from MSG. Watched St Pat's with Harrington and Sam who had just joined the team and was a rising junior at 6'11" running right at me. I can't remember who they were playing, but I believe it was from the Metro Classic. Sam had, and I'm not exaggerating at least 15 blocks in the game. One possession I saw him block 4 shots. They were so good and went on win the TOC in 1998. Watching Kevin and Bob Sr coach was like watching living legends. Both two of the greatest high school coaches in the country. It sucked that they were both in the Parochial B North, as they should have been meeting in the TOC finals. The plus was I watched a lot of Parochial B North finals in Rothman at FDU back then.

How about every other Parochial B team in the state...they still havent won a state title since Hurley started coaching. lol

I never saw a big guy get off his feet like Sam, so amazingly quick.

Metro Classic, oh, what could have been. They televised some games the summer before MTE's Sr year. His play was just perfect. He was the perfect compliment to Dre and EG, instinctively doing what needed to be done as those 2 did their thing. What a heartbreak yr, the Illinois game, RU away, GU fight, Pitt game home using tickets provided by sami (came the closest to getting into a fight in 40 yers with some ahole that wouldnt stop booing, luckily my grammar school aged son was with me to same some serious facial bruising), last loss in the BET, all still in the front of my memory and just wont let go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluebeard
I always heard Harrington was a mainstay in Walsh working out during the NBA lockout.

How about every other Parochial B team in the state...they still havent won a state title since Hurley started coaching. lol

I never saw a big guy get off his feet like Sam, so amazingly quick.

Metro Classic, oh, what could have been. They televised some games the summer before MTE's Sr year. His play was just perfect. He was the perfect compliment to Dre and EG, instinctively doing what needed to be done as those 2 did their thing. What a heartbreak yr, the Illinois game, RU away, GU fight, Pitt game home using tickets provided by sami (came the closest to getting into a fight in 40 yers with some ahole that wouldnt stop booing, luckily my grammar school aged son was with me to same some serious facial bruising), last loss in the BET, all still in the front of my memory and just wont let go.I

I always heard Harrington was a mainstay in Walsh working out during the NBA lockout.

I was in class with Dalembert he was such a nice dude and never had an ego for his position, FWIW Eddie Griffin was there as well with me and he wasn't a cocky person either, would often give a fist pound if you walked by and say hello. None of them were jerks actually, Rimas would come with Manga to our frat house.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT