ADVERTISEMENT

Giants Are Going Nowhere !

hallgrad80

All Universe
Oct 27, 2001
With the likely loss of Jones for the remainder of the season and no legitimate back up on the roster to replace him the Giants are not only looking as a team that will finish at the bottom of the NFC East but their rebuild in year 2 of the Schoen era seems to have made little progress with the QB position now the number 1 priority with Jones ,IMO , not the answer.

Everything that could go wrong went wrong in spectacular fashion. I mean, what can you say it’s ridiculous.

Everything that could go wrong went wrong in spectacular fashion. I mean, what can you say it’s ridiculous.

And it looks like Taylor is done too. They can’t start DeVito for the rest of the year.

I wonder if Green Bay would give up Sean Clifford fairly cheap.

Getting a franchise QB in the draft will depend on how high in the draft our pick is and if it’s not high enough I could see the Giants trading up to get who they want which unfortunately eats up its draft capital that could be used to fill positions of need.

There’s not much you can do at this stage. They’re 2-7 with games at Dallas, at Washington, and then New England at home before the bye. Tyrod couldn’t even return until after the bye and it seems bleak that he’ll play again. They’re going to try to coach up Tommy DeVito and hope he plays like Ray Lucas did with the 1999 Jets when they went 1-6 to 8-8 out of nowhere.

You can’t “tank” with 8 games to play. That’s not a real thing in the NFL. They have an out for Jones in 2025 and while there’s a dead cap hit it’s not bad and opens savings. For 2024 – whenever he heals – he’ll be an expensive back-up.

Reactions: Section112
I don’t think they should tank. Doesn’t build a winning culture. Doubtful the’y’ll win too many games anyway.

Huge question marks moving forward. I guess the QB situation is at the top and f the list. However, coaching staff including the head coach are having an atrocious year. GM?? can’t tell yet. I guess they must draft a QB although you would think Jones plays next season.

They won't actively tank as many players are going to be playing for their careers, but organizationally, they can absolutely tank by riding with DeVito. They traded Leonard Williams, which was their admission that the year was done. That was simple enough to see by Week 3 once it was clear that the Cardinals 2nd half was an anomaly & not an awakening.

They did recently sign Matt Barkley, but the reality is that it doesn't matter much who is taking the snaps with the kind of O-line play they have yet again. Caleb Williams certainly has the physical talent, but does he have it between the ears? I'm not convinced, and that is before he cried in the stands.

I don’t think they should tank. Doesn’t build a winning culture. Doubtful the’y’ll win too many games anyway.

Huge question marks moving forward. I guess the QB situation is at the top and f the list. However, coaching staff including the head coach are having an atrocious year. GM?? can’t tell yet. I guess they must draft a QB although you would think Jones plays next season.
The Giants currently stand in 17th place with cap space of $28,333,321 . With multiple positions of need to fill thru the draft and with free agents having now to find a QB puts increased pressure on the staff to hit a home run in the 24 draft .

With his history of Jones’s injuries strengthening the QB position becomes a necessity and one Schoen must put at the top of his list of his off-season “ must do” decisions.

Reactions: Piratz
Getting a franchise QB in the draft will depend on how high in the draft our pick is and if it’s not high enough I could see the Giants trading up to get who they want which unfortunately eats up its draft capital that could be used to fill positions of need.
The Giants will not need to trade up. They are not winning a game the rest of the year

Reactions: TomD82
Jones has been under fire with the terrible O line all year. But the fact is he hasn't improved. Last year he was getting the ball out of his hands faster and that helped a lot. He didn't throw the ball down the field much though. This year, the hope was he'd continue to progress and that hasn't happened. Yesterday before he got hurt he had Hyatt wide open two series in a row and both throws were bad. He can't seem to process quick enough and execute IMO. The line has been atrocious but I think we've seen enough. When Tyrod was healthy he seemed to do a little better getting the ball out and throwing downfield occasionally. Nothing great but it seemed better than a beat up Daniel Jones. Giants love Jones work ethic and toughness but when the lights go on it's not happening. Gotta get through the season without hurting the future cap space and develop Devito as the #2 guy for the future. Then see if they can upgrade at the position.
And no matter who the QB is, gotta fix the o line once and for all.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Im a football guy (Bergen Catholic) so with that, Jones is not to blame, he was running for his life due to the OLine play, Mahomes etc would also be running for their lives if you dont get the proper blocking done, Eli was WAY less mobile than Jones but he had some dogs on that OLine during the good years to give him time. You can't do 2 much when you snap the ball and have everyone and their mother running at you. Also, I think Daboll is a good coach, I dont wanna blame him just yet, I think hes smart and knows things, they just could not protect Daniel, Thomas going down, then Schmitz and Neal being all over hurts, the D was finally getting it done but they can only do so much... They got another 2nd rounder out of the trade, they should do what Dallas did and grab OL in the draft, make that line steady and strong and figure the rest out. The Giants do not need any more skill position players they have plenty so need lineman basically. Itll work itself out, Miami was awful only 2-3 years ago and theyre competitive again, when the Giants drafted Eli they were awful, 2 years later boom... It can happen and I think Schoen is the right man for it...

Reactions: PirateFan94
I think it's evident by now that Neal is not agile enough to play tackle. They need move him to guard to see if he's better there. He'll resist because of the $ involved but the guy flat out sucks at tackle & is a massive bust, considering where he was picked in the draft.

They won't actively tank as many players are going to be playing for their careers, but organizationally, they can absolutely tank by riding with DeVito. They traded Leonard Williams, which was their admission that the year was done. That was simple enough to see by Week 3 once it was clear that the Cardinals 2nd half was an anomaly & not an awakening.

They did recently sign Matt Barkley, but the reality is that it doesn't matter much who is taking the snaps with the kind of O-line play they have yet again. Caleb Williams certainly has the physical talent, but does he have it between the ears? I'm not convinced, and that is before he cried in the stands.
Williams is RG3 the sequel. No thanks.

Im a football guy (Bergen Catholic) so with that, Jones is not to blame, he was running for his life due to the OLine play, Mahomes etc would also be running for their lives if you dont get the proper blocking done, Eli was WAY less mobile than Jones but he had some dogs on that OLine during the good years to give him time. You can't do 2 much when you snap the ball and have everyone and their mother running at you. Also, I think Daboll is a good coach, I dont wanna blame him just yet, I think hes smart and knows things, they just could not protect Daniel, Thomas going down, then Schmitz and Neal being all over hurts, the D was finally getting it done but they can only do so much... They got another 2nd rounder out of the trade, they should do what Dallas did and grab OL in the draft, make that line steady and strong and figure the rest out. The Giants do not need any more skill position players they have plenty so need lineman basically. Itll work itself out, Miami was awful only 2-3 years ago and theyre competitive again, when the Giants drafted Eli they were awful, 2 years later boom... It can happen and I think Schoen is the right man for it...
I agree with your assessment but do think we need a WR1. Is Daboll the answer? I’m not sure either. What frustrates me is watching other teams having receivers running free all over and the great offensive mind Daboll can’t seem to scheme anyone open. There were play as where DeVito had plenty of time yet no one was open.

Yeah, no. It's possible to evaluate QB play even with a bad O-line, Mr. Football Guy. Jones is just not that dude, and if they have a chance to start over with someone who is, they need to take it. He's fine. They need more than fine.

Reactions: Piratz
Yeah, no. It's possible to evaluate QB play even with a bad O-line, Mr. Football Guy. Jones is just not that dude, and if they have a chance to start over with someone who is, they need to take it. He's fine. They need more than fine.
You’re wrong. He is better than fine. My brother is friends with a couple NFL execs who works make him their starter the second three Giants part ways with him. He looks bad right now with the pathetic OLine. If you recall Eli at the end of his career looked terrible because of the same problem, bad line. Many thought Arlin was washed up Because Jones came in and played well. It was a mirage do to his mobility but the line got progressively worse. This year it was historically bad which got him hurt. Jones on this team looks as you say fine. Put him on 49ers he would look like Steve Young.

Last edited:
Giants need to build their line before drafting the next franchise QB or it will just be more of the same.
Crazy, after 5 years none of us really know for sure whether Jones is still the answer or not.

Reactions: PirateFan94
Jones is an average-to-good NFL QB. He can be good if the team around him is good. He has limitations in processing, pulling the trigger on open plays, and throwing guys open. Those are things the elite QB’s do. He was drafted too high. Schoen/Daboll knew this and crafted a scheme that worked well for him last year despite limitations in the skill player department (best WR’s were Slayton and Richie James, lol) and to his credit he played well and was brilliant in the playoff game. So, they gave him a contract. NOT a Franchise QB deal, but one that said, “OK, let’s see how this continues to go.”

The Giants have also failed him miserably. He’s had what, 3 HC’s and 4 OC’s? He played awful this year in large part because he got his ass kicked. He was seeing ghosts, wasn’t reading pockets, leaving plays all over the field. That’s why you hit the QB.

Reactions: Section112
The roster moves and coaching decisions have just been unfathomable by this coach and GM. Evan Neal is a bust at tackle. Plus, the defensive coordinator makes a backup QB look like Joe Montana and the special teams coach is a disaster. Anybody see how Max Crosby blew up the tush push QB sneak? They were not ready for it just like how Dallas and the Jets blew up the FG attempts.

I have no problem drafting a QB, but they cannot give up significant draft capital. There are too many holes on this teams and the coach and GM overestimated the talent and makeup of the entire team. They don't need to tank to get the top or 2nd pick. They are that bad.

I think it's evident by now that Neal is not agile enough to play tackle. They need move him to guard to see if he's better there. He'll resist because of the $ involved but the guy flat out sucks at tackle & is a massive bust, considering where he was picked in the draft.
It’s a HUGE problem. It’s so bad for Neal right now that their Franchise LT gets injured trying to run down a freaking blocked FG and their answer is not to slide Neal over to protect the backside, rather it’s to put Ezudu there, a guy who never took a single snap at tackle in preseason. We saw how that went. Is Neal a guard? IDK. Worth a shot. He’s also injury prone.

Schoen/Daboll also decided to let go of veteran OL back-ups like Feliciano and Gates, they cut OT Tyre Phillips for some mysterious reason, and stuck with younger totally unproven guys who got their doors blown off in epic fashion when the injuries hit. I bet they won’t do that again. Realizing the error of their ways and paying Pugh plus re-signing Phillips was a start.

Idk. Does he still want ownership too? Lmao. CW is pretty sick with the athleticism and throwing off multiple platforms but he’s also smaller. He carries his team though.

Drake Maye from UNC is the other one IMO. Much bigger guy with a huge arm. But not mobile.

I’m keeping my eye on J.J.McCarthy of Michigan and how he plays the remainder of the season especially against Ohio State .

Jones is an average-to-good NFL QB. He can be good if the team around him is good. He has limitations in processing, pulling the trigger on open plays, and throwing guys open. Those are things the elite QB’s do. He was drafted too high. Schoen/Daboll knew this and crafted a scheme that worked well for him last year despite limitations in the skill player department (best WR’s were Slayton and Richie James, lol) and to his credit he played well and was brilliant in the playoff game. So, they gave him a contract. NOT a Franchise QB deal, but one that said, “OK, let’s see how this continues to go.”

The Giants have also failed him miserably. He’s had what, 3 HC’s and 4 OC’s? He played awful this year in large part because he got his ass kicked. He was seeing ghosts, wasn’t reading pockets, leaving plays all over the field. That’s why you hit the QB.
This is one of the most fair assessments I’ve read. What we’ve seen is a fair to god QB with little to no support. We’ve been getting QBs killed since Eli’s final years Ava it’s only gotten worse. I think you’re right about the ghosts. I think that affected his processing. I also think there are issues with our current offensive schemes. How do we consistently leave edge rusher unblocked intentionally counting on them biting on a play fake. How when we do have time in the pocket do we only have the option to take a deep shot. I consistently watch other teams having their receiver running in wide open holes in the defense. Why is that never the case with the Giants offense? A QB shouldn’t have to throw every receiver open. There should be some easy throws throughout a game. I would really like to see the giants finally fix the line and see what Jones can do in that situation. Sadly I think the from office will try to reset the clock in their tenure by drafting a QB. I hope Jones goes to a team like your 49ers where he’d look like Steve Young and make the Giants look like morons. Like the saints made the chargers look.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT