ADVERTISEMENT

Gonna be a wild weekend

What’s so special about Friday? Why not today? Is something new coming out between now and then? Or does the start of Memorial Day weekend in an election year have an impact on this decision? Science? Politics? Or Political Science?

Reactions: shu09
The current situation reminds me of the feeling people get the morning after a really fun event. You wake up and want the moment to keep going but you realize its over and you have to get back to reality. Kinda like a war ending and then everyone who fought it in is trying to figure out what to do next. The let down is hard to cope with. Watch the last episodes of Band of Brothers and you get a taste of it.

The politicians just don't want to let go of this. The power trip is over they don't want to face that reality.

...and then there is Rachael Maddow. Maybe we should hook her up with Shufan1993.

Reactions: shu09 and SPK145
What’s so special about Friday? Why not today? Is something new coming out between now and then? Or does the start of Memorial Day weekend in an election year have an impact on this decision? Science? Politics? Or Political Science?

I'd venture a guess that since businesses can impose their own mask requirements if they choose to that you would want to give them some advance notice about what is coming so they can plan and prepare their response? Like in Texas where the announcement was 8 days before they lifted the mask requirement?

Reactions: Piratz and shu09
I'd venture a guess that since businesses can impose their own mask requirements if they choose to that you would want to give them some advance notice about what is coming so they can plan and prepare their response? Like in Texas where the announcement was 8 days before they lifted the mask requirement?
This is all about re-election and sales tax money. What a coincidence it happens when the jersey shore is about to hit it's peak season and the start of Memorial Day weekend is the day it happens.

This is all about re-election and sales tax money. What a coincidence it happens when the jersey shore is about to hit it's peak season and the start of Memorial Day weekend is the day it happens.

There would never be a time when you would have thought removing the requirements would not be about politics. Some here suggested they would keep going even after the pandemic is over.

As I have maintained all along. I believed that the mask requirement should be in place until all those who wanted to be vaccinated have had a chance to be vaccinated. We are at that point now, so I don't really have an issue with the timing.

Reactions: cernjSHU
timing does seem to make sense. we certainly arent in this forever like a certain poster has been relentlessly trying to predict

I have thought the same about other restrictions being added or removed, NJ usually give several days notice either way which thought was weird.

But thinking about it, guess it allows business some time with planning for things like staffing, supply orders, etc..

Yes, Memorial Day weekend definitely plays a part in the decision, if numbers were this good and it was say March, restrictions would have probably come at more staggered pace.

Merge and SHUHoopsFan are correct here. The announcement gives time for businesses to plan but it is also political. Murphy simply could not afford to have another summer with restrictions in an election year.

I hope most NJ residents speak with their wallets and do not support businesses that still plan to require masking.

Reactions: Merge
There would never be a time when you would have thought removing the requirements would not be about politics. Some here suggested they would keep going even after the pandemic is over.

As I have maintained all along. I believed that the mask requirement should be in place until all those who wanted to be vaccinated have had a chance to be vaccinated. We are at that point now, so I don't really have an issue with the timing.
Yea, no coincidence lol

If it’s about vaccination and the merit of such, any mask removal timeline would correspond to the time it takes to become fully vaccinated; a last chance. That works make sense. The communication would point to data of the vaccinated not passing on the virus to others even if they were one of the breakthrough cases.

See, all clean and aligned. Those who would rather take their chances with the potential effects of the virus over the potential side effects of the vaccine can ponder that one last time. Those who want the vaccine can then go before the guidelines lift.

Oh but wait these are politicians. 🙄

Altho prob a moot point anyway as there is now a majority % of adults who have had 1 shot anyway.

Merge and SHUHoopsFan are correct here. The announcement gives time for businesses to plan but it is also political. Murphy simply could not afford to have another summer with restrictions in an election year.

I hope most NJ residents speak with their wallets and do not support businesses that still plan to require masking.
You just made this post political

So what happens to people who choose not to get vaccinated? They must wear masks indoors forever?

Yea, no coincidence lol

but you would have said the same thing if he removed the restrictions a week ago, or the weekend before the 4th of July.

If all of the data wasn't looking as good as it is, and he still removed restrictions I'd think the "politics" argument was stronger but considering the numbers in NJ as well as the recent guidance from the CDC, it's hard to argue he is unjustified in removing restrictions now. I don't disagree politics is a consideration, of course it is... but maybe it just makes sense to remove restrictions now as well?

but you would have said the same thing if he removed the restrictions a week ago, or the weekend before the 4th of July.

If all of the data wasn't looking as good as it is, and he still removed restrictions I'd think the "politics" argument was stronger but considering the numbers in NJ as well as the recent guidance from the CDC, it's hard to argue he is unjustified in removing restrictions now. I don't disagree politics is a consideration, of course it is... but maybe it just makes sense to remove restrictions now as well?
What’s your (never) sound reasoning behind last Memorial Day weekend?
What’s going to be your stance if public schools force kids to get vaccinated? My stance is thank god for private schools.

That's fair. I'd just recommend giving it a couple weeks to settle. Some businesses may not be sure what their staff and customers want yet so may be slower to remove restrictions. If it's national chains who cares, but if its local stores that may lose your business. I'd try to let them know your thoughts beforehand.

What’s your (never) sound reasoning behind last Memorial Day weekend?

In regards to...?
Why we kept a mask mandate during the 2020 memorial day weekend?
Why things were not open at 100% capacity?
Not sure what you're asking.

What’s going to be your stance if public schools force kids to get vaccinated? My stance is thank god for private schools.

The only way that happens is if there is a large resurgence in Covid, and the FDA fully approves the vaccine for all school aged children. I find both of those to be unlikely.

so what are everyones plans? how are we enjoying the weekend? shu09 sipping ice cold waters, spk golfing some hoity toity club, shu1234 staying in the bubble?

enjoy the reemergence of life

so what are everyones plans? how are we enjoying the weekend? shu09 sipping ice cold waters, spk golfing some hoity toity club, shu1234 staying in thecateracke bubble?

enjoy the reemergence of life
Definitely golfing at some hoity toity club, then drinks, then to the racetrack to see one of my babies run.

Reactions: Hallsome and shu09
Definitely golfing at some hoity toity club, then drinks, then to the racetrack to see one of my babies run.

rich.jpg

Reactions: SPK145
ADVERTISEMENT