ADVERTISEMENT

Good Bill

th

More states in north generally have more unsafe bridges.

I've driven on many roads in the south that are in far better shape than some here in NJ.
im sure there are better roads in bagdad than the worst roads in the US so?

go to lousiana and report back

im sure there are better roads in bagdad than the worst roads in the US so?

go to lousiana and report back

I've visited more than half of the US states. Louisiana isn't one of them. I'll be sure to fill you in when I make it there.

Pennsylvania has the worst roads in the country. Didn’t you see that the bridge collapse the day Biden was out there promoting the infrastructure bill?

Pennsylvania has the worst roads in the country. Didn’t you see that the bridge collapse the day Biden was out there promoting the infrastructure bill?
wow a bunch of world travelers we have here! lol everyone complains about their roads.

there are bad examples everywhere

Back on topic, I’m anti toll in general. It’s an inefficient system that would be replaced with a tax to fund roads much more efficiently.

Back on topic, I’m anti toll in general. It’s an inefficient system that would be replaced with a tax to fund roads much more efficiently.
really the issue is that likely only 20% of that money even goes into the roads.

1) strange how youre talking about bridges as opposed to potholes. you really carved out a niche.

2) pennsylvania includes pittsburgh which has the most bridges of any city in the world, some of them are bound to be old and bad

3) crazy the eastern part of the US, aka the oldest has the worst infrastructure? wow!
Please find a site that supports your view about roads being worse in the south.

Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, South Carolina,
Texas, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia, have tolls.

Florida was one of the first to have Open Tolling (License Plate based)

We do work for Florida Tolls. With regard to Open Tolling, it started when someone at the FT realized that they were taking photos of every license plate as it passed through the lanes or under the gantries. They decided to treat the people who passed without an EZ Pass as a customer instead of a criminal. They started sending invoices instead of citations.

25 years ago I did a 2 year gig at PA Turnpike and learned more than I thought possible about toll roads. The general idea is a state vs federal issue. Eisenhower started the big push for federal funding of highways when he funded the Interstate system.

The issue then becomes whether you pay tolls in the form of gas taxes or do you pay direct tolls to the specific road you are on.

The bigger issue is determining the most equitable way to pay for all roads and bridges and who controls the money.

Relative to tolls, the book "The Power Broker" is about the life of Robert Moses. Moses has been associated with forming the first "Authority" to collect tolls. Authorities and Commissions are interesting entities. They are neither private or government yet they wield tremendous power through the revenue they collect.

Some of you may know Moses by the projects he funded in New York. Among them are the many parks in NYC, the Parkways on Long Island, Jones Beach, and Robert Moses State Park. He was said to be a racist. Hard to separate fact from fiction on that one. The racist argument stems from building the Parkways to access Jones Beach. There was no mass transportation provided. The thought is he did it by design because the poor (read: Blacks) did not own cars and were therefore were hindered from accessing Jones Beach.

Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, South Carolina,
Texas, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia, have tolls.

Florida was one of the first to have Open Tolling (License Plate based)

We do work for Florida Tolls. With regard to Open Tolling, it started when someone at the FT realized that they were taking photos of every license plate as it passed through the lanes or under the gantries. They decided to treat the people who passed without an EZ Pass as a customer instead of a criminal. They started sending invoices instead of citations.

25 years ago I did a 2 year gig at PA Turnpike and learned more than I thought possible about toll roads. The general idea is a state vs federal issue. Eisenhower started the big push for federal funding of highways when he funded the Interstate system.

The issue then becomes whether you pay tolls in the form of gas taxes or do you pay direct tolls to the specific road you are on.

The bigger issue is determining the most equitable way to pay for all roads and bridges and who controls the money.

Relative to tolls, the book "The Power Broker" is about the life of Robert Moses. Moses has been associated with forming the first "Authority" to collect tolls. Authorities and Commissions are interesting entities. They are neither private or government yet they wield tremendous power through the revenue they collect.

Some of you may know Moses by the projects he funded in New York. Among them are the many parks in NYC, the Parkways on Long Island, Jones Beach, and Robert Moses State Park. He was said to be a racist. Hard to separate fact from fiction on that one. The racist argument stems from building the Parkways to access Jones Beach. There was no mass transportation provided. The thought is he did it by design because the poor (read: Blacks) did not own cars and were therefore were hindered from accessing Jones Beach.
That’s a great book. Another interesting story about New York State was the decision (Dewey) to build the Tappan Zee Bridge far enough north so it would not come under the jurisdiction of the Port Authority of NY/NJ, enabling New York to keep all of the toll money instead of splitting it with New Jersey.

Reactions: Pirata
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT