ADVERTISEMENT

Grad Transfer C on Market

HallBall10

All American
Sep 27, 2013
Dwight Coleby 6-9 240 C from Kansas is a grad transfer elig. imm.

He didn't play much last year, but he transferred from Ole Miss where he averaged 5.4 pts and 4.8 rebounds per 16.5 minutes per game his sophomore year.

His body is probably more ready than Ish or Nzei to play the 5.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Top 200 out of HS, played about 13-15 mph first 2 years at Ole Miss and didn't do much at Kansas... may not be much but if Angel leaves this is what's left.

This kid screams project. Pass.
A grad transfer that was good enough to play 8 minutes per game in the NCAA tournament for the #1 overall seed is too much of a project?

If he matched his sophomore numbers which come out to 9.8pts and 8.8 rebounds per 30 minutes, that would be pretty solid.

For a team that picks up guys that play no minutes for Northwestern, limited minutes for fresno st., and limited minutes for juco's, and limited minutes in high school, this guy is no where near a project.

unless we have some better use of a schollie for next year, I'd say why not?

Reactions: lokiSHU
A grad transfer that was good enough to play 8 minutes per game in the NCAA tournament for the #1 overall seed is too much of a project?

If he matched his sophomore numbers which come out to 9.8pts and 8.8 rebounds per 30 minutes, that would be pretty solid.

For a team that picks up guys that play no minutes for Northwestern, limited minutes for fresno st., and limited minutes for juco's, and limited minutes in high school, this guy is no where near a project.

No but this is a prime example of why with ships available we're not in a position to have a player ready to step in and not have to scramble to find a replacement for a player there was a realistic expectation would leave early for the pros.

Reactions: HallLine69
If you're looking to replace Delgado, you're not going to get it. Angel was going to be one of the best big men in the country. We just need to improve upon what we do have. And we don't know that we have anyone on our current roster that'll be able to guard 5's while fouling less than RA.

I know we're scrambling to add a center but discussing a transfer who is from the Bahamas, went to HS in Mississippi and with whom we had no prior relationship and some think we would have a legitimate shot at seems silly to me .

Last edited:
I know we're scrambling to add a center but discussing a transfer who is from the Bahamas, went to HS in Mississippi and with whom we had no prior relationship and some think we would have a legitimate shot at seems silly to me .
I get your point, but no one has a connection until they make the connection. What was our connection to MJ?
Tournament team that just lost their center without a viable replacement, puts on us a shorter list.

Take what we can if Angel leaves. Do we need another guard? If Brodie is a 4 year project, 7 footer is a project, Nzei is not a 5 and really is ash

Reactions: SHUMA04
Top 200 out of HS, played about 13-15 mph first 2 years at Ole Miss and didn't do much at Kansas... may not be much but if Angel leaves this is what's left.

Reading looks like he tore his ACL year he sat out at Kansas, so that may have impacted his level of play last season.

You have to prepare that Delgado is gone (and I think he is).

We're going to be scrambling for a big, so you throw whatever you can to the wall and see what sticks. That's the way it is right now and I don't think this is on Willard. This was a May Surprise.

Prefer a big body grad transfer rather than taking a four year or two year player who doesn't have skill and will get recruited over, which is probably what we are looking at now given the timing. So this kid would be a fit IMO.

You have to prepare that Delgado is gone (and I think he is).

We're going to be scrambling for a big, so you throw whatever you can to the wall and see what sticks. That's the way it is right now and I don't think this is on Willard. This was a May Surprise.

Coleby had the type of production at Ole Miss that would be most helpful to us next year. Also tore his ACL during his first season at Kansas.

Look at his sophomore season stats. Factor in some development he had at Kansas playing against NBA-type bigs (regardless of the playing time stats), and that he's older, wiser, stronger, and he likely could give us 20 MPG.

If Seton Hall can enter this late and lure him in, I think that'd be great given the circumstances.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66621/dwight-coleby

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article150696997.html

Reactions: Section112
His Ole Miss/FL game highlights look pretty impressive - In my humble opinion, not someone who is right now a project - He really looks like he can play - I hope he is at least on the coaching staff's radar screen. GO PIRATES!

Highlight films are the worst thing to watch for evaluations. That film sure doesn't match his list of schools.

If he can post up, if he can play with his back to the basket, if he can defend in the post, then you go after him 100%. If we land him, and Delgado goes, evaluate the center position, with Brodie and Gill for the future, if the staff is not 100% happy with the progress of Gill and Brodie try to get a mid year transfer who will be ready for big east play 2018-2019

Mentioning him in the same sentence with Angel is delusional imho.
We know what AD is. A great rebounder with a nose for the ball. He is not athletic or his leaving would not be in question. He is limited offensively and not a great defender. The best thing he does defensively is stay on the ground wth his hands up. I realize that highlights don't tell the whole story but what you can see is that he is by far more athletic. Sorry to say but AD can't jump over a newspaper.

Last edited:
We aren't going to find a 30-minute per game starter at this point. We need a kid who can rebound and defend against true 5s. Don't need much from an offensive standpoint, just play 10-20 minutes per game when we play against teams with size or gifted offensive post players.

I've only watched his highlights so I can't say if he's any good but he appears to be the 'type' of player we should be looking for at this point. Big, physical, fairly agile...it looks like his strengths would complement our 3 PFs to give us a decent 4-man rotation with Sandro, Mike and Ish.

I would take his sophomore year production of 5 points, 5 Rebs and 1 block in 16 minutes. Pair that with the others and we should have a double-double from the position with perhaps improved overall defense. We will have enough offensive threats this season between Sandro and our 5 perimeter scorers.

Ole Miss was a 20+ win team with this kid that year and pretty sure they made the tourney.

I would take him in a heartbeat. Has a smooth jump hook and a nice back to the basket game and can dunk. Defensively he is average.

This late in the game you take what you can considering what we have, a 7' who will more than likely be red-shirted and another "center" who cant score one point or grab one board in a high school game. This kid is no Kareem but he seems like the best option if Angel leaves.

Reactions: deheremike
Positives:
Stats were decent last year at Ole Miss
Kansas saw something to take him as transfer
Grad Transfer so no longer term commitment
We need a big body Center if Angel leaves
Better to rely on 5th year vs unknown Juco or Freshman

Negatives:
ACL injury - has that affected his game permanently
Last season at Kansas stats just not good
Has not played lot of basketball over last 2 years - can he play 15-20 mpg?

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/05/16/dwight-coleby-to-transfer-from-kansas/

657144868-e1494942225723.jpg

Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Dwight Coleby to transfer from Kansas

By Rob DausterMay 16, 2017, 9:44 AM ED

Kansas announced that Dwight Coleby will be transferring out of the program as a graduate transfer. Coleby, a transfer from Ole Miss, graduated this past weekend, averaged 1.7 points and 1.8 rebounds for the Jayhawks while battling injuries.

“Dwight and I have visited about this multiple times since the end of our season and he has worked so hard academically to put himself in a position to make this decision,” Self said. “We wish Dwight nothing but the very best moving forward. He felt the opportunity to go to a place and have the option to play quite a bit more and have more of a significant role would enhance his chances to play professionally in the future.”

Coleby’s departure opens up a scholarship for Svi Mykhailiuk, who declared for the NBA Draft without signing with an agent. Coleby was the 13th scholarship player on Kansas’ roster.

“In talking with Coach (Self) about my future, I feel that this is what is best for my potential opportunities,” Coleby said. “I would like to thank the coaching staff for allowing me to come here. I’d like to thank my teammates for their support the past two years. I’d like to thank the fans for cheering me on and believing in me. KU is a part of my heart. It’s my alma mater and I am proud to have earned my degree from KU. I will always be a Jayhawk.”

We know what AD is. A great rebounder with a nose for the ball. He is not athletic or his leaving would not be in question. He is limited offensively and not a great defender. The best thing he does defensively is stay on the ground wth his hands up. I realize that highlights don't tell the whole story but what you can see is that he is by far more athletic. Sorry to say but AD can't jump over a newspaper.

This is wrong, saying he's limited otherwise he'd be on draft boards. He may be limited in terms of an NBA prospect, but not at the college level. Angel is about as polished a low-post scorer as the Hall has had in a very long time. He might not be the athlete that Mike Nzei is, but he more than overcomes that with strength, a quick twitch and a nose for rebounds that's almost unparalleled in the college basketball world right now. He also steps out and hits the elbow or baseline 15 foot jumper at a pretty good percentage.

I've seen Angel's offensive game become completely underrated by the folks here that are trying to get comfortable with the thought of him leaving. Angel is a tremendous offensive weapon for the Pirates. And would be crucial this upcoming year. He is not just a "great rebounder".

Kansas recently added Dedic and K.J. Lawson who transferred from MEMPHIS and will sit out this year and they probably needed Colby's ship.

This is wrong, saying he's limited otherwise he'd be on draft boards. He may be limited in terms of an NBA prospect, but not at the college level. Angel is about as polished a low-post scorer as the Hall has had in a very long time. He might not be the athlete that Mike Nzei is, but he more than overcomes that with strength, a quick twitch and a nose for rebounds that's almost unparalleled in the college basketball world right now. He also steps out and hits the elbow or baseline 15 foot jumper at a pretty good percentage.

I've seen Angel's offensive game become completely underrated by the folks here that are trying to get comfortable with the thought of him leaving. Angel is a tremendous offensive weapon for the Pirates. And would be crucial this upcoming year. He is not just a "great rebounder".
Certainty not trying to diminish the loss if it happens. He gets a good portion of his points on offensive rebounds. He can hit the jumper from about 15 ft foul line extended but is no automatic. Otherwise teams wouldn't give him that shot. He doesn't take baseline jumpers, has trouble finishing wth a larger defender down low because he can't play above the rim. Look, i love what he brings and he is important to this team but to insinuate his offensive game is irreplaceable is not accurate. I can certainly see a guy like Coleby contributing 10-12 ppg 6-8 rpg. Team as a whole would have to make up the difference on the boards while i can see his shots being dispersed to guys like powell/cale, desi. Also if Ish who is working on his offensive game vam progress as he has done year over year, can also chip in

The only players in the Big East who averaged at least 11 and 6 last year were Delgado, Hart, Bullock and Patton.

No way in the world you'd be getting those numbers from this guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT