ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Yalden commits to Seton Hall

We'll only be able to compare once we know who is going to be here. And even then, will be hard to know until we play the games. No one this time last year would have predicted we'd be worried about replacing bediako this year. With so many new players every season, surprises good and bad will abound.

We'll only be able to compare once we know who is going to be here. And even then, will be hard to know until we play the games. No one this time last year would have predicted we'd be worried about replacing bediako this year. With so many new players every season, surprises good and bad will abound.
This. And with up to 11 new players some will surprise, some will prove they can’t cut it, and Sha is going to have his hands full crafting a cohesive team. Takes time.

Hopefully the roster is set within May. We have 6 spots to fill and still need at least 2 starters (PG/C) that are, preferably, battle tested vets to rely on. Then the summer sessions are critical.

Bediako and Dawes aren’t options though. They do not count at all. They aren’t transferring out to another school—SHU isn’t “losing them” in the portal.

Richmond and Dre are the only ones not being accounted for player - for - player.

As for Sanders, EHE and Wusu (plus Nga Nga, Ozdogan and Brown), I’m more than willing to take my chances with the group of Middleton, Prince and Yalden plus the freshmen Felton and Godswill along with Coleman and Tubek.

I thought maybe Sanders could take the leap last year, but he didn’t. Wusu was serviceable but certainly not irreplaceable.

I personally think all 3 of EHE, Sanders and Wusu were recruited over and left. I believe Sha let them know what his intentions are/were.

I do not believe it’s all reactionary to players leaving. I believe it’s only reactionary to Dre and Kadary leaving.
I have been reserving my comments on all of this out of frustration.

But are we really saying that so far we are in good shape replacing a (first 4 Dayton type team) starting 5 of all seniors and graduate seniors with underclassmen who have limited to no track record?

And oh yeah the two guys who were really haven’t replaced yet were a first team all BE player you haves 16 / 7 / 5. And another guy who should have been BE MIP and arguable 2nd team All BE caliber.

But are we really saying that so far we are in good shape replacing a (first 4 Dayton type team) starting 5 of all seniors and graduate seniors with underclassmen who have limited to no track record?

And oh yeah the two guys who were really haven’t replaced yet were a first team all BE player you haves 16 / 7 / 5. And another guy who should have been BE MIP and arguable 2nd team All BE caliber.
Why not? lol

We have no idea and wont till the season starts. So we can agita ourselves all summer (and all OOC if its like last year) or hope for the best.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Why not? lol

We have no idea and wont till the season starts. So we can agita ourselves all summer (and all OOC if its like last year) or hope for the best.
We absolutely can evaluate when the roster is complete and the season begins. Heck, that didn’t even tell us the entire story this season. 9th place looked spot on through 11 OOC games.

However, if the general consensus from the media and coaches is that we have put the 9th or 10th best team together on paper annually, then more often than not you will be in that general area and not overachieve with a 4th place type finish.

I think Sha has already overachieved twice and we didn’t make the tournament. Snubbed or not snubbed we were on the bubble.

Reactions: shupat08
It looks like we can't replace Davis and Richmond with our budget. It is what it is. The hope (at least my hope) is that we can be better with a roster of 10 decent players rather than a roster of 2 great players, 3 or 4 decent players, and a bunch of non-rotation guys. Whether we can afford a team with 10 decent players remains to be seen. We probably won't know until December.

I don’t think there’s a question on Sha. If Year 1 opened questions on him with making the jump, player management and so forth, I feel Year 2 answered them affirmatively.

Seton Hall has always been tight on resources but as the NIL has taken off it’s gotten even worse. You cannot even compare Willard’s final year to Sha’s first two. It’s a different world. And Willard knew it was coming, even started relying on his own transfers more. Anyway, water under the bridge.

Richmond and Davis were both injured in Year 1. Plus there was the unknown of the second-time transfer block. That kept them here and they got much better and more efficient under Sha, both took huge steps forward and owe Sha a lot. We also got fortunate we didn’t need the bench; we got lucky given the style we play.

This will need to be the model for SHU: Find undervalued players across the country and build them up. We went to Cali for a center last year, we went to WI for a big this year. We took a guy with power conference minutes and want him to do more (ala Dre from Louisville). We got a boomerang player who has upside in Middleton. We were able to hold onto a talented returning player with upside in Coleman. We’re not going to be able to sign top flight portal entrants or retain the ones Sha developments until this NIL doubles, at least, on an annual basis.

Expectations.

With all the doomsday NIL talk — or lack there of — I think this year so far has been a better start than last year.

This roster is no where near complete. But outside of UConn and I guess Marquette, very few teams have set rosters.

Do I think we’ve replaced our starting five? Of course not. It remains to be seen.

But I don’t expect another starting five to log as many minutes as this past year’s did. So we’re most likely going to have to spread around the NIL money.

Right now I think it’s going to have to be more a sum of the parts and a full team effort rather than relying on two key players.

And I think it’s a good start so far in the transfer portal.

Expectations.

With all the doomsday NIL talk — or lack there of — I think this year so far has been a better start than last year.

This roster is no where near complete. But outside of UConn and I guess Marquette, very few teams have set rosters.

Do I think we’ve replaced our starting five? Of course not. It remains to be seen.

But I don’t expect another starting five to log as many minutes as this past year’s did. So we’re most likely going to have to spread around the NIL money.

Right now I think it’s going to have to be more a sum of the parts and a full team effort rather than relying on two key players.

Things are definitely better. NIL has a plan now at SHU, at least. New facility on the way.

On NIL, the question is where are we realistically and how much better can it get? No clue. That needs a trained eye in this realm, which McBride has. He must have an indication, but will never say. Are we just tapping into potential or are we tapped out at the improvement we’ve already seen? Then also the question of can what’s possible be realized with how SHU operates. The fact they hired Mike last year is a positive sign.

Expectations.

We have no idea about any of this until the roster gets filled out and we start to see players in action. As we sit today we have one player with more than one year of college basketball experience. It's impossible to know what we are with such a limited sample of experience plus a half roster to be determined.

The sum of our experience:

Prince Aligbe: 62 games/45 starts - 1222 minutes (19.7 mpg) 330 points (5.3 ppg) 236 rebounds (3.8 rpg) FGP 40.1% 3FGP 22% FT 62.5%

Isiah Coleman: 33 games/3 starts - 600 minutes (18.2 mpg) 179 (5.4 mpg) 85 rebounds (2.6 prg) FGP 47.5% 3GP 31.1% FT 71.7%

Scotty Middleton: 30 games/1 start - 459 minutes (15.3 mpg) 132 points (4.4 ppg) 43 rebounds (1.4 rpg) FGP 39.8% 3FGP 45.2% FT 50%

David Tubek: 16 games/1 start - 82 minutes (5.1 mpg) 13 points (0.8 ppg) 13 rebounds (0.8 rpg) FGP 21.4% 3FGP 22.2% FT 83.3%

That's a grand total of 141 games, 50 starts, 2363 minutes, 624 points and 377 rebounds.

For context, Richmond, Dawes and Davis each scored more than 550 points while Richmond and Bediako each surpassed 240 rebounds last season.

Things are definitely better. NIL has a plan now at SHU, at least. New facility on the way.

On NIL, the question is where are we realistically and how much better can it get? No clue. That needs a trained eye in this realm, which McBride has. He must have an indication, but will never say. Are we just tapping into potential or are we tapped out at the improvement we’ve already seen? Then also the question of can what’s possible be realized with how SHU operates. The fact they hired Mike last year is a positive sign.
Agree with all of that

We have no idea about any of this until the roster gets filled out and we start to see players in action. As we sit today we have one player with more than one year of college basketball experience. It's impossible to know what we are with such a limited sample of experience plus a half roster to be determined.

The sum of our experience:

Prince Aligbe: 62 games/45 starts - 1222 minutes (19.7 mpg) 330 points (5.3 ppg) 236 rebounds (3.8 rpg) FGP 40.1% 3FGP 22% FT 62.5%

Isiah Coleman: 33 games/3 starts - 600 minutes (18.2 mpg) 179 (5.4 mpg) 85 rebounds (2.6 prg) FGP 47.5% 3GP 31.1% FT 71.7%

Scotty Middleton: 30 games/1 start - 459 minutes (15.3 mpg) 132 points (4.4 ppg) 43 rebounds (1.4 rpg) FGP 39.8% 3FGP 45.2% FT 50%

David Tubek: 16 games/1 start - 82 minutes (5.1 mpg) 13 points (0.8 ppg) 13 rebounds (0.8 rpg) FGP 21.4% 3FGP 22.2% FT 83.3%

That's a grand total of 141 games, 50 starts, 2363 minutes, 624 points and 377 rebounds.

For context, Richmond, Dawes and Davis each scored more than 550 points while Richmond and Bediako each surpassed 240 rebounds last season.
And how well regarded was Bediako before he got here? Now we are comparing his numbers for the next incoming big lol.

Shall we take experienced low division players instead? Or high upside players without as much experience? Our NIL funds are decent, but still limited.

While I agree and have said a few times we won’t know until the full roster is set, I think we are moving in the right direction. That’s really my point.

If we roll out the balls right now, we don’t look great (of course, we might get some forfeits from other teams as of today). But I think some upper classmen will be coming.

For the true big fish out there, teams either have to make a bid that’s possibly against themselves or wait out the auction storm. Maybe Sha gets a guy on the cheaper side. Maybe.

But I don’t believe in rolling the dice again on putting all our eggs in the starting lineup basket. We need a bench this year.

But what I really see right now is that there will be some good competition already for PT

We need to forget about last season and to be honest the 2025-2026 season. All that counts is next season. True, it will be 5 new starters next season. Obviously, the continuity and chemistry are going to be a challenge especially in the OOC. In a way by hook or crook there has been a house cleaning of basically the entire roster. Being diplomatic, some of the departures will allow Sha to add players that can contribute more than last season's group. Some of the players were at the end of the line in college. That happens all the time and you deal with it.

At the moment we have Coleman, Middleton, Aligbe, Felton, Yalden and Godswill. First, you have to feel good about adding Middleton, a highly ranked recruit and excellent shooter. Coleman absolutely can produce more with a larger role and more minutes. Aligbe by all accounts can play, but to this point has not stabilized on the college level. I went back and looked at Felton's highlight packages online. The kid is assertive and physically mature enough to start right away. Many schools start quality first year players. SHU can do it too. Godswill I would say is a backup and will need to get back on track from his foot injury. Yalden can shoot the ball. There is a good interview session where he says he's lost 42 pounds since high school and his closeout speed is getting better(the key for him playing at this level). We all know Sha MUST get two more players at least. Let's see what it looks like when the process is over.

And how well regarded was Bediako before he got here? Now we are comparing his numbers for the next incoming big lol.

Shall we take experienced low division players instead? Or high upside players without as much experience? Our NIL funds are decent, but still limited.

While I agree and have said a few times we won’t know until the full roster is set, I think we are moving in the right direction. That’s really my point.

If we roll out the balls right now, we don’t look great (of course, we might get some forfeits from other teams as of today). But I think some upper classmen will be coming.

For the true big fish out there, teams either have to make a bid that’s possibly against themselves or wait out the auction storm. Maybe Sha gets a guy on the cheaper side. Maybe.

But I don’t believe in rolling the dice again on putting all our eggs in the starting lineup basket. We need a bench this year.

But what I really see right now is that there will be some good competition already for PT
We need talent and experience period. I trust Sha to bring in a couple of quality, experienced players to provide minutes, production and leadership.

Competition for playing time means little if the players in question aren't of a certain quality. I think the jury is out on that and we are counting on players taking major steps in their development to make that happen.

We need talent and experience period. I trust Sha to bring in a couple of quality, experienced players to provide minutes, production and leadership.

Competition for playing time means little if the players in question aren't of a certain quality. I think the jury is out on that and we are counting on players taking major steps in their development to make that happen.
It cracks me up how some posters are just so binary they want to infer what another poster is thinking just to create some sort of rival dialogue in their heads. Some people just need to make up an antagonist to create an argument to get their point across…

I guess this site is called Rivals for a reason…

Where did I say we were counting on these players to make or break our season? Did I say these players were the be-all-end-all? 🤣

I said it’s a really nice start compared to last year at this time. I also believe Sha is getting the players he wants while maintaining a decent amount of NIL to possibly wait out the big fish.

I think we need a bench and these players are markedly better than last year’s bench guys so far. Coleman was our 6th man and he was a frosh. EHE came from Austin Peay and then transferred down again after this year.

Do we need more help? Of course.

But getting players early and players Sha wants—to me—is a good sign of where we currently are.

I said it’s a really nice start compared to last year at this time. I also believe Sha is getting the players he wants while maintaining a decent amount of NIL to possibly wait out the big fish.

I think we need a bench and these players are markedly better than last year’s bench guys so far. Coleman was our 6th man and he was a frosh. EHE came from Austin Peay and then transferred down again after this year.

Do we need more help? Of course.

But getting players early and players Sha wants—to me—is a good sign of where we currently are.
Nice start compared to last year but we had Richmond, Dawes, and Davis coming back. We had 3 players who could start on a lot of teams in the big east and they could compete for starting spots on the others. I'm not really sure who we have at this point who can start on a lot of teams. I like our last year May 1 roster better than this one so far.

I agree these guys improve our bench, however we need starters to make these guys bench players otherwise there is no bench again and these are the starters. Lot of time to go. No need to panic. But it would be nice to see a win this year guy as opposed to guys who need a lot of development, which all our guys need right now.

Reactions: TheHall87
Nice start compared to last year but we had Richmond, Dawes, and Davis coming back. We had 3 players who could start on a lot of teams in the big east and they could compete for starting spots on the others. I'm not really sure who we have at this point who can start on a lot of teams. I like our last year May 1 roster better than this one so far.

I agree these guys improve our bench, however we need starters to make these guys bench players otherwise there is no bench again and these are the starters. Lot of time to go. No need to panic. But it would be nice to see a win this year guy as opposed to guys who need a lot of development, which all our guys need right now.
Ok.

So when the season ended, on April 4th, who did you expect from the roster coming back with our NIL? Who did you think we would have at this juncture right now on our roster?

If you think we could have afforded Davis and Richmond, I know of this bridge ….

As for the rest of the team who is eligible to come back (not counting Bediako and Dawes, of course) that we aren’t retaining, who do you still want to have???

Ok.

So when the season ended, on April 4th, who did you expect from the roster coming back with our NIL? Who did you think we would have at this juncture right now on our roster?

If you think we could have afforded Davis and Richmond, I know of this bridge ….

As for the rest of the team who is eligible to come back (not counting Bediako and Dawes, of course) that we aren’t retaining, who do you still want to have???
I didn't expect them to come back but I'm not the one saying we're off to a better start than last year either. If you believe you have to re-recruit your own guys. We're not off to a better start than last year. Tell me you're happy with the guys we got, but I'm not sure any one here will say we're off to a better start than last year.

I didn't expect them to come back but I'm not the one saying we're off to a better start than last year either. If you believe you have to re-recruit your own guys. We're not off to a better start than last year. Tell me you're happy with the guys we got, but I'm not sure any one here will say we're off to a better start than last year.
We have known the chance of retaining Davis and Richmond was remote at best. We made an effort for both. We are off to a nice start and I suspect a plan is in place. There are a lot of good players available and once the portal entry date passes, it becomes less of a player market.

Ok.

If we in fact offered Kadary $700,000, than I say our NIL funds are in decent shape. If the blue bloods are offering $1 million, we can't compete with that and Field a competitive team.

No one knows how much we have, but I've read in the vicinity of $1.7 million. Tomorrow's even should fill the coffers a bit more, but we really need a few corporate/business sponsors to help out.

Reactions: Seton75
Everyone speaks of the two RU HS kids as if who is paying them is common knowledge. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Hall Is Life
apparently Goldman Sachs is involved on that one. It’s not accessibly public info
It’s not public knowledge but it’s been alluded to a bunch of times, there are a few Rutgers grads high up at GS… they basically footed the bill for the 2 players… I know Trilly referred to it a while back I think

It’s not public knowledge but it’s been alluded to a bunch of times, there are a few Rutgers grads high up at GS… they basically footed the bill for the 2 players… I know Trilly referred to it a while back I think
And what services will they be providing for GS in order to earn their money? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: shu09 and shupat08
And what services will they be providing for GS in order to earn their money? 😂
Perhaps for GS clients who have athletic high school children that are 6'6" or taller, instruction on how to shoot, pass and rebound, so that those families can also achieve their financial goals. Fair return.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT