ADVERTISEMENT

Gusbus

Depends on how you look at it. Playing next to Ike or Gill he was not more valuable at center. Playing next to Yetna then yes.
He was a good offensive center. He was a tease as a forward. He played there when we had centers but never gave us a consistent season. A move or a 3 here or there to tease us but imo never put it together. He pleasantly surprised me as our center. Played it well.

I don't mind him playing the 4 but he's too big a guy not be be banging down low.
Reminds me of a bit of Robbie Avila, the big from Indiana State. Great passer, good hands, skilled big. Seems like Gus has slimmed down as well.

At a High Lawn event a few months ago, Coach Davis told me to think of a young Jokic. That's high praise. Hyperbole? Maybe, but definitely talent is there.

Reminds me of a bit of Robbie Avila, the big from Indiana State. Great passer, good hands, skilled big. Seems like Gus has slimmed down as well.

At a High Lawn event a few months ago, Coach Davis told me to think of a young Jokic. That's high praise. Hyperbole? Maybe, but definitely talent is there.

Lol. So we have "young jokic" and "sandro light" as 2 of our big men? Guess they are going to have their way with the other BE front lines. Why do they even say these things???? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Lol. So we have "young jokic" and "sandro light" as 2 of our big men? Guess they are going to have their way with the other BE front lines. Why do they even say these things???? 🤦🏼‍♂️
Tool bad we lost Brown. Wasn’t he the next Iverson or someone?

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
They used to joke stan musial at ebbets field is the best hitter in baseball. I contend malachi brown with shu down 10 vs monmouth is the best pg... Isnt saying one is ABC-lite just a way of saying how he plays, not how well he plays.

Reactions: Halldan1
Of course. Not sure why some don't understand when comparisons are made from past players to current ones here or elsewhere.

It's clear when that happens it's obvious that no one is comparing a two time NBA MVP to a freshman who has never suited up in a college game. Or when a Seton Hall player is compared to Sandro or Samuel, one in the NBA and the other a star in college BB that doesn't mean said player is in the same category.

Pls don't discourage posters by ridiculing opinion on comparisons. It's message board fodder until we actually see the team in person.

Of course. Not sure why some don't understand when comparisons are made from past players to current ones here or elsewhere.

It's clear when that happens it's obvious that no one is comparing a two time NBA MVP to a freshman who has never suited up in a college game. Or when a Seton Hall player is compared to Sandro or Samuel, one in the NBA and the other a star in college BB that doesn't mean said player is in the same category.

Pls don't discourage posters by ridiculing opinion on comparisons. It's message board fodder until we actually see the team in person.

The staff compared Gus to a young jokic and toumi to a sandro light. Not posters. That's quite the pressure staff is putting on these players.

The staff compared Gus to a young jokic and toumi to a sandro light. Not posters. That's quite the pressure staff is putting on these players.
Simply using the name of an all-time great puts undue expectation, whether intended or not. Sure, I don’t think we have Jokic sitting on the bench, but I think it’s dumb to even plant a seed like that. You can describe strengths and weaknesses to a players style without saying he’s a young someone or other.

Reactions: shupat08
Simply using the name of an all-time great puts undue expectation, whether intended or not. Sure, I don’t think we have Jokic sitting on the bench, but I think it’s dumb to even plant a seed like that. You can describe strengths and weaknesses to a players style without saying he’s a young someone or other.

Exactly!

You know what? I've actually just decided that Scotty Middleton is a young Scottie Pippen and Chaunce is a college version of Ja Morant and Prince Aligbe is a skinny Charles Barkley.

Our roster is SO STACKED!

Can’t say that I always agree with shupat but his point here is well-taken. Can Gus please play in a college basketball game first before we use his name in the same sentence as Jokic?

I totally understand what Dan is saying (it’s supposed to give you an idea of what to expect playing style-wise) but I really think that’s not the way an average fan takes it.

Is it more helpful than harmful? I don’t know but I probably wouldn’t have put that out there like that.

Meaning what? You have less than 1 homerun in your career playing MLB.

😁

Can’t say that I always agree with shupat but his point here is well-taken. Can Gus please play in a college basketball game first before we use his name in the same sentence as Jokic?

I totally understand what Dan is saying (it’s supposed to give you an idea of what to expect playing style-wise) but I really think that’s not the way an average fan takes it.

Is it more helpful than harmful? I don’t know but I probably wouldn’t have put that out there like that.
IMO, I think WE have to be a little more discriminating. Did anyone here actually think that the asst was implying that Gus today is as good (or even close) as the NBA MVP? If someone really thought that, cant help them. Or was he saying, as far as style of play, he is like Jokic? Jeez.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT