ADVERTISEMENT

Hall - Rutgers likely on hold

As has been discussed many times, dropping this series would be a big loss for the fans, but RU is very replaceable for the team.

Solution to me would be play game at RAC and split the revenue so as to help SHU with the lost
revenue from not playing last year

Reactions: silkcitypirate
This is crazy. Both sides made some mistakes but it was in the middle of pandemic. Decisions were made quickly, but nothing was done in malice. This is one of my favorite games of the year and since Rutgers has improved the rivalry has become more fun as a fan to be apart of. Both schools need to cut the non sense, give SHU the game this year and then go from there. Not that hard.

Adding UConn to our schedule added two high D1 games making us less interested in this game long term. Getting the gate is key as well because we don’t have the money a state program has. I’m fine with it.

It also adds 2 more "all local" games to our schedule every year. Sure, none of them are "New Jersey" teams but with 2 games a year against UConn, St. John's and Nova, we have no shortage of high profile local games. It's not like all of our good opponents are midwestern schools, leaving us lacking opponents that move the needle for the local community.

Reactions: mbraue and CL82
Solution to me would be play game at RAC and split the revenue so as to help SHU with the lost
revenue from not playing last year

To me, that sounds like a solution that would leave both sides unsatisfied. And how does half revenue from a crowd of 8k come anywhere close to replacing full revenue from a crowd of 10k+?

We also know about RU's extreme efforts to prevent SHU fans from getting tickets, so SHU accepting that would be a slap in the face to fans.

To me, that sounds like a solution that would leave both sides unsatisfied. And how does half revenue from a crowd of 8k come anywhere close to replacing full revenue from a crowd of 10k+?

We also know about RU's extreme efforts to prevent SHU fans from getting tickets, so SHU accepting that would be a slap in the face to fans.

It wasn’t RUs fault that pandemic happened when SHU had the home game .
Why not play at MSG and split gate .

Reactions: PMB Pirate

And then where do you propose they play next year? We're just going to have this same debate again if this year is played at a neutral site.

It wasn't SHU's fault that the pandemic happened and the resulting conference rescheduling claimed their contracted date. I'm sure it was partially their fault that a new date wasn't mutually agreed upon but I'm also sure there was blame to go both ways on that.

What extreme efforts to limit Seton Hall fans to get tickets? RU always
offers their season ticket holders in football and basketball the opportunity to purchase extra tickets for games before they go on sale to the general public. It is a perk of being an RU season ticket holder. It is not a means to prevent SHU fans from getting tickets.

And then where do you propose they play next year? We're just going to have this same debate again if this year is played at a neutral site.

It wasn't SHU's fault that the pandemic happened and the resulting conference rescheduling claimed their contracted date. I'm sure it was partially their fault that a new date wasn't mutually agreed upon but I'm also sure there was blame to go both ways on that.
Actually your game at Penn State claimed the contracted date and not a conference game.

Reactions: TRU2RU
What extreme efforts to limit Seton Hall fans to get tickets? RU always
offers their season ticket holders in football and basketball the opportunity to purchase extra tickets for games before they go on sale to the general public. It is a perk of being an RU season ticket holder. It is not a means to prevent SHU fans from getting tickets.

Last time you hosted, single game tickets were made publicly available for every game on RU's schedule except the SHU game, which were still available but held back for sth presales the entire time.

Last time you hosted, single game tickets were made publicly available for every game on RU's schedule except the SHU game, which were still available but held back for sth presales the entire time.
It also doesn’t help that the RAC is a smaller venue. Rutgers fans can easily get their hands on tickets in the Prudential center because we have more space. Last year I had to pay an insane amount of money to basically sit in some bleachers. That arena needs an upgrade.

RU gets to take advantage of the NJ taxpayers every year and even gets bailed out if necessary

Absurd that they are complaining about this over the gate money and needing home court advantage versus a small private school that funds itself

RU should do the right thing and just go to Prudential

Reactions: mbraue and HallB
It also doesn’t help that the RAC is a smaller venue. Rutgers fans can easily get their hands on tickets in the Prudential center because we have more space. Last year I had to pay an insane amount of money to basically sit in some bleachers. That arena needs an upgrade.

I mean, we could do the same thing and some would argue that we should. Personally, with the popularity of that game I think we should at least do more to leverage it into more sth sales.

Believe me RU is not afraid of SHU
It is really SHU fear of the RAC
You have one team that year in and year out plays a weak OOC schedule. The coach complains any time they are put against a decent team on the road in the ACC/ big ten challenge. You have another team that has played a consistently tough schedule OOC and plays teams on the road without an issue, high major teams at that.

Weird how Kentucky-Louisville, Florida-FSU, Nebraska-Creighton, Xavier-Cincinnati, Iowa State-Iowa, St. Joe's-Villanova, and Wisconsin-Marquette all managed to get played last year. Carino didn't bring any of those up, of course. Only the one other example (Rhode Island-Providence) that didn't get played.

Weird how Kentucky-Louisville, Florida-FSU, Nebraska-Creighton, Xavier-Cincinnati, Iowa State-Iowa, St. Joe's-Villanova, and Wisconsin-Marquette all managed to get played last year. Carino didn't bring any of those up, of course. Only the one other example (Rhode Island-Providence) that didn't get played.

Simple, they had their originally contracted dates still available and thus had nothing to change and could (or even had to) just stick to it. That wasn't possible for our game because of changes to the B1G and BE schedules. We had to find a new mutually agreeable date and apparently finding a mutual agreement isn't something our schools do well.

SHU and RU unquestionably each had a contractual out due to the pandemic. SHU was able to schedule 2 home and home series where it played the first game on the road with no fans and no ticket revenue for the host. This year SHU will host two return home games with ticket revenue with these teams (PSU and URI). This was very smart and our AD should be complimented.

I would like to play the RU series but if it unwilling to play at the Rock then so be it.

The pandemic was not Seton Hall’s fault either. Pickle chips had no interest in doing what was fair and equitable to all sides (either pause a year and resume at Seton Hall the following year or play at a neutral site and again resume at Seton Hall the following year). What he fails to realize is he’s little brother and needs this game more than we ever will. It’s their NCAA championship game. Always has been, always will be. Seton Hall can and should tell him to kiss off. We can fill that spot with a much better game.

Last edited:

His point of citing that series was to highlight the obvious fact that a pandemic is a force majeure and another series was not played for that very reason. There is zero doubt that either side had a contractual out from the game.

Reactions: mbraue and SHUMA04
Honestly who cares? Ru plays 20 BigTen games, and we play 20 BigEast games + legit OOC schedule. Neither team needs the series.
RU needs the game more than we do from a scheduling perspective. They need to have at least one high D1 local OOC game to insert in between all the pushovers they like to schedule. Seton Hall would take the game if it didn't cost us money because we need the gate as we are not propped up by ridiculous student fees (https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...sidy-athletics-one-highest-nation/3506918002/ ) and the state of NJ.

RU gets to take advantage of the NJ taxpayers every year and even gets bailed out if necessary

Absurd that they are complaining about this over the gate money and needing home court advantage versus a small private school that funds itself

RU should do the right thing and just go to Prudential
Plus they are getting Big 10 money. Tough to make a case that they are in need.

(EDIT: Play it at the Rock split the revenue for Rutty's turn next year with RU as the home team. The following year it goes back to a SH home game.)

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
I am fine with not playing it at all. When RU teams were atrocious the Hall game was like their National Championship. That is why they want and need the Hall game. They are concerned that they will be awful again soon and will need this game.

I’ll add
I am fine with not playing it at all. When RU teams were atrocious the Hall game was like their National Championship. That is why they want and need the Hall game. They are concerned that they will be awful again soon and will need this game.
Um, if RU really needed the Seton Hall game wouldn't they just do whatever Seton Hall wanted and play the games?

I’ll add

Um, if RU really needed the Seton Hall game wouldn't they just do whatever Seton Hall wanted and play the games?

You could flip it around and say the same thing. The game is clearly not worth the aggravation within the coach’s offices of the two programs, and that makes sense. If they don’t play, I think we’ll all be able to deal with it and move on.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT