ADVERTISEMENT

Hertz Out of EV’s

i dont think it says anything about climate change. its a business decision from hertz who can provide any car they want. people don't own rental cars so they're not making their choice based on the environment. its a temporary thing and they are used to having little options anyway. sounds like teslas cost too much to repair, and from what i know from everyone at my work who has one they're not very good cars. more of a status/look thing

i dont think it says anything about climate change. its a business decision from hertz who can provide any car they want. people don't own rental cars so they're not making their choice based on the environment. its a temporary thing and they are used to having little options anyway. sounds like teslas cost too much to repair, and from what i know from everyone at my work who has one they're not very good cars. more of a status/look thing
Of course it’s a business decision.

Have to go back and look to see how Hertz advertised adding EV’s to the fleet. I’m going to guess they took some bows about doing good for the environment.

Of course it’s a business decision.

Have to go back and look to see how Hertz advertised adding EV’s to the fleet. I’m going to guess they took some bows about doing good for the environment.
but this sorta proves the whole point that corporations only caring about money is bad for the environment.... if hertz wanted to trade some revenue for environmentally vehicles they would. but they don't.

maybe the vehicles just aren't ready yet but something tells me these big rental companies aren't exactly struggling

Reactions: HALL85
but this sorta proves the whole point that corporations only caring about money is bad for the environment.... if hertz wanted to trade some revenue for environmentally vehicles they would. but they don't.
Exactly
maybe the vehicles just aren't ready yet but something tells me these big rental companies aren't exactly struggling
It was likely a bad business decision to do it in the first place. Probably way underestimated the repair costs.

Exactly

It was likely a bad business decision to do it in the first place. Probably way underestimated the repair costs.
on the flip side, i work for a fairly big company and the parking lot is like 25% teslas. they had to install more EV terminals (and its free to use so pretty good perk). its a war zone when one opens up. i think most people who own a tesla dont care at all about the environment either. they just think its cool. i own a non plug in hybrid and i love it.

Most Tesla owners get them because they're status symbols.

Most Tesla owners get them because they're status symbols.
i have so many ubers that have a tesla and it just makes me laugh. i always ask them when they think theyll break even on all the gas they save. they have no idea

The main benefits of having an EV right now is being able to charge overnight at home and less maintenance. You don’t get those benefits if you’re renting one on a trip.

The network and batteries are not where they need to be for rentals to make sense. They are close but still a few years away.

Once you can add around 300 miles of range in 15 minutes, and the charging networks are consistent, then it would make sense.

They are just better cars if you don’t drive a ton and can charge at home. I rarely use a public charger, I never have to change oil, my breaks will likely last the life of the cars, and the torque is great. I wouldn’t rent one if I were traveling, but I’ll likely stick to EVs next time I need another new car.

The main benefits of having an EV right now is being able to charge overnight at home and less maintenance. You don’t get those benefits if you’re renting one on a trip.

The network and batteries are not where they need to be for rentals to make sense. They are close but still a few years away.

Once you can add around 300 miles of range in 15 minutes, and the charging networks are consistent, then it would make sense.

They are just better cars if you don’t drive a ton and can charge at home. I rarely use a public charger, I never have to change oil, my breaks will likely last the life of the cars, and the torque is great. I wouldn’t rent one if I were traveling, but I’ll likely stick to EVs next time I need another new car.
Welcome back.

Don’t disagree with most of this. You would think Hertz executives would have thought of it before placing an order for 100,000 EV’s. Terrible business decision.

European countries that have embraced EV’s continue to struggle with charging stations in urban areas, where people park on the street or don’t have the luxury of a garage.

agree. people want EVs for their car. but rental cars they dont care. also a good point, who wants to rent an EV when you have no idea if your destination as EV ports

agree. people want EVs for their car. but rental cars they dont care. also a good point, who wants to rent an EV when you have no idea if your destination as EV ports
What a disaster withEVs in Chicago right now.

Rough lesson to learn for those folks.
It’s a mistake to get an EV if you can't charge at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT