ADVERTISEMENT

Hey you "miserable drunken gamblers..."

CL82

All Big East
Oct 31, 2002
Bob Hurley Sr. said the fans were especially ruthless toward Danny at home games at the Meadowlands because it was a “drinking” and “gambling” crowd. On at least one occasion, the elder Hurley got into a verbal altercation with Seton Hall fans. He said part of the problem was that Seton Hall would constantly give the players’ parents tickets in different sections, meaning they never got familiar with one particular set of fans, and vice versa.

“Alcohol No 1 and then betting No. 2,″ Bob Sr. said of the fans. “They were miserable gamblers throughout.”

Seton Hall fans were known for razzing Danny for not being his big brother Bobby, who had just won back-to-back NCAA championships at Duke and then become the No. 7 overall pick in the 1993 NBA Draft.

Getting on opposing players, I can see but razzing your own guy?

#Jerseytough ;)

Interesting article on Dan Hurley and his break from playing at Seton Hall

Last edited:
CL82 & DH - 2 of a kind. A losing hand gambling.
tenor.gif

(Tough crowd. I may have to change my avatar to this.)

Bob Hurley Sr. said the fans were especially ruthless toward Danny at home games at the Meadowlands because it was a “drinking” and “gambling” crowd. On at least one occasion, the elder Hurley got into a verbal altercation with Seton Hall fans. He said part of the problem was that Seton Hall would constantly give the players’ parents tickets in different sections, meaning they never got familiar with one particular set of fans, and vice versa.

“Alcohol No 1 and then betting No. 2,″ Bob Sr. said of the fans. “They were miserable gamblers throughout.”

Seton Hall fans were known for razzing Danny for not being his big brother Bobby, who had just won back-to-back NCAA championships at Duke and then become the No. 7 overall pick in the 1993 NBA Draft.

#Jerseytough ;)

Interesting on Dan Hurley and his break from playing at Seton Hall
I sat with a bunch of guys who were from jc, not shu guys, just hoops guys. (People would buy sh tickets so they could get tickets to the eastern regionals) The first time Danny got in a game his frosh year, one of them stood up and yelled danny sucks, he's a ham and egger. I asked my friend who knew these guys. They were friends of another jc hs coach who hated Bob sr. Kept on Danny all year. And others got on dan too. Not acceptable. Bob sr never forgave us imo. I am a dad. I get why. Even though the kids who came to shu had awesome careers.

Fwiw. They didn't allow alcohol in the arena. I am sure some guys got a load on at halftime or pregame. I don't remember a lot of drunks. And all fans got on Danny for not being bobby, specially oyr opponents. I bet that included you guys and even the saintly duke fans when we played that yr in Philly.

Reactions: Levirgo
Yeah .... good point on a lot of people buying tickets so they could get NCAA tickets. That was very common.

Another thing that many people just don’t understand is despite all of the Bob Hurley love, there are plenty of people - especially in his home area - that have no use for the guy. You have to take a lot of what he says about Danny’s treatment or mistreatment with more than a few grains of salt. Too many people accept it as fact.

I sat with a bunch of guys who were from jc, not shu guys, just hoops guys. (People would buy sh tickets so they could get tickets to the eastern regionals) The first time Danny got in a game his frosh year, one of them stood up and yelled danny sucks, he's a ham and egger. I asked my friend who knew these guys. They were friends of another jc hs coach who hated Bob sr. Kept on Danny all year. And others got on dan too. Not acceptable. Bob sr never forgave us imo. I am a dad. I get why. Even though the kids who came to shu had awesome careers.
Bob, Sr. did hold grudges. Calhoun never got a kid from St. Anthony's. I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know what it is.

FWIW, the thread was all in good fun. I thought the article was a good read and you guys would enjoy it.

Last edited:

#Jerseytough ;)

Interesting article on Dan Hurley and his break from playing at Seton Hall
One more thing, I have no idea about the Hurley, but a black woman and her daughter sat in my section a few rows ahead. I didn't know till sr night that they were gordie's family

Reactions: CL82
Bob, Sr. did hold grudges. Calhoun never got a kid from St. Anthony's. I sure there's a reason, I don't know what it is.

FWIW, the thread was all in good fun. I thought the article was a good read and you guys would enjoy it.
No offense taken. Hope you keep posting here tho I bet many want you to go home.

One more thing, I have no idea about the Hurley, but a black woman and her daughter sat in my section a few rows ahead. I didn't know till sr night that they were gordie's family
So this reminds me of a Calhoun story. He was just starting out as coach as Connecticut when one (or more) of the players' parents complained to the AD about his language, which they could hear because they were seated right behind the bench. The AD (John Toner) goes to Calhoun "Hey Jimmy, I am sorry to bring this up but we got parents complaining about your language. If you could help me out..." Calhoun says "Absolutely, John, No problem I'll take care of it." Toner, grateful, thanked him and left. The next game Calhoun's language didn't change but the players' families' seats were moved to the other side of the arena.

Last edited:
Calhoun was a real jerk IMO.

Maybe, but I'd have taken at the Hall. Reminds me of the outfielder the Yankees picked up (from Toronto, I think) who complained about the Yankees during the Joe Torre run: "All they care about is winning."

No reason to swear at or (I say...) even boo a college kid, especially one of our own.
Bob, sr. could be a jerk.
And he should remember that according to many fans, PJ didn't want Danny. Sr. really pushed him on the Hall. Still not reason to curse and swear at him; on the other hand, he could have gone elsewhere.

No reason to swear at or (I say...) even boo a college kid
Calhoun used to say that he learned early on that saying "Steve would could over here, I'd like to speak with you" produces a dramatically different result that saying "Get your ass over here right effing now." He preferred the second reaction.

Agree with you regarding booing a college kid, especially a kid who plays for your team.

Seton 75, What was Calhoun's quotes about the BE coaches?
I cant remember word for word but it was complementary to PJ

No reason to swear at or (I say...) even boo a college kid, especially one of our own.
Bob, sr. could be a jerk.
And he should remember that according to many fans, PJ didn't want Danny. Sr. really pushed him on the Hall. Still not reason to curse and swear at him; on the other hand, he could have gone elsewhere.

Hurley Sr rubs some the wrong way and can be a difficult personality from what I’ve read.

But that guy has done more to help kids/families from tough backgrounds than most will do collectively in a lifetime.

Fwiw. They didn't allow alcohol in the arena. I am sure some guys got a load on at halftime or pregame. I don't remember a lot of drunks. And all fans got on Danny for not being bobby, specially oyr opponents. I bet that included you guys and even the saintly duke fans when we played that yr in Philly.
No alcohol was sold in the stands is right and there were no bars within walking or shuttle distance of CAA back then. Maybe the JC guys were in the bag already before the game started from the JC bars and put bets on CBB with their bookie, but that sounds strange and I never saw any of that. Dan even said MSG ,road games and the Philly regional were the worst for him. When Dan hit that jumper way past the top of the key to beat Villanova (was it?) at CAA nobody was getting on him.

The NCAA east regional tickets were also mostly a lottery back then. Bob has held grudges for years for sure, but he would know JC guys if they were doing stuff like that. Hell most of them were at Bar A in Belmar for years getting drunk like that.

Seton 75, What was Calhoun's quotes about the BE coaches?
I cant remember word for word but it was complementary to PJ

I might be mixing up quotes, but I've heard the running joke back then was that the classic group of coaches in the BE back then was along the lines of "Eight AH's and PJ", which sounds like something Calhoun probably would have said.

I might be mixing up quotes, but I've heard the running joke back then was that the classic group of coaches in the BE back then was along the lines of "Eight AH's and PJ", which sounds like something Calhoun probably would have said.

I believe that was a Boeheim quote.

No alcohol was sold in the stands is right and there were no bars within walking or shuttle distance of CAA back then. Maybe the JC guys were in the bag already before the game started from the JC bars and put bets on CBB with their bookie, but that sounds strange and I never saw any of that. Dan even said MSG ,road games and the Philly regional were the worst for him. When Dan hit that jumper way past the top of the key to beat Villanova (was it?) at CAA nobody was getting on him.

The NCAA east regional tickets were also mostly a lottery back then. Bob has held grudges for years for sure, but he would know JC guys if they were doing stuff like that. Hell most of them were at Bar A in Belmar for years getting drunk like that.

Was very easy to sneak in alcohol back in the Continental Arena/Izod Center days.

Lol, if you are going to quote me quote the post I responded to as well.

Don't start nothing, there won't be nothing. ;)

I'm busting your chops. You really should be given the boot for saying that CT pizza is better than NY or NJ.

Calhoun acted like a jerk (I remember his "not a dime back" comment), and probably could be, but apparently he is a good Irish Catholic, and he and his wife are known to be generous philanthropists.

On New Haven and New Haven pizza, he's not necessarily wrong, lol. And I'm a huge supporter and defender of NY/NJ pizza and food generally compared to the rest of the country.

Frank Pepe's is the best pizza I ever had but numbers 2 through 1000 are in NY or NJ.

That would be a three time national championship winning Naismith Hall of Fame jerk to you.

Just saying.
No matter how many games/championships he won, he was still a big jerk, Crybaby/complainer.

Reactions: HallX2
Bob, Sr. did hold grudges. Calhoun never got a kid from St. Anthony's. I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know what it is.

For what it’s worth, Danny has called his experience at Seton Hall transformative and one of his sons attended SHU. If I’m not mistaken, Danny’s wife is a SHU grad.

For the record, Bobby Sr might not have liked the drunks but then maybe Danny should have been frequenting The Hall late nights the day before a game in season. Not an isolated visit either...

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
He was a kid not a pro. The schools mission is education not entertainment. When fans cannot control their anger, and start yelling at players (irrespective of performance) they should just not go to games. They can yell at their TV but not at the kids.

Danny Hurley acts like a guy who wants everyone to know he listens to heavy metal.

Reactions: SHUSA
Uconn fans are trash. I hope we beat their sorry asses tomorrow. At least they have football 😂

Reactions: Hallsome
ADVERTISEMENT