ADVERTISEMENT

Hmmmm

If people choose not to buy Ben and Jerry's ice cream for any reason, that is their choice.

This part though is just absurd. "Oklahoma has a law in place that says if companies boycott Israel, the state won't do business with them."

Why does any state have a law with the interest of a foreign country placed above the interest of US businesses?

Good question. I understand some of the laws we have that prevent or sanction companies from doing business with certain terrorist or authoritarian states and organizations. But like anything else this stuff gets taken too far. Didn’t California recently place certain mandates on disallowing state government employees from going to states like Florida that have handled COVID differently?

Good question. I understand some of the laws we have that prevent or sanction companies from doing business with certain terrorist or authoritarian states and organizations. But like anything else this stuff gets taken too far. Didn’t California recently place certain mandates on disallowing state government employees from going to states like Florida that have handled COVID differently?

And travel limits on state employees to certain states that had those bathroom bills a few years ago.

It's all noise and distraction from real issues. Just gets people riled up for no reason.

Reactions: Hallsome

Right, but those are aimed at policies in certain states which impact US citizens. Merits of that are debatable but certainly is different to say we won't do business with X company in our state because they declined to provide services in another country.

Right, but those are aimed at policies in certain states which impact US citizens. Merits of that are debatable but certainly is different to say we won't do business with X company in our state because they declined to provide services in another country.
It’s policy driven too though, no? Saying if company X won’t provide services in another country because of some policy or political reason that our citizens care about, we won’t do business with that company.

It’s policy driven too though, no? Saying if company X won’t provide services in another country because of some policy or political reason that our citizens care about, we won’t do business with that company.

This isn't abut US policy though. It is about Israeli policy and US citizens have opinions on both sides of that debate.

I don't have a strong opinion on the Israel / Palestine conflict, but anti-Israel boycott laws aimed at punishing US companies for their freedom of speech seems wrong. If you choose not to support the company because of their statement that's fine.

This isn't abut US policy though. It is about Israeli policy and US citizens have opinions on both sides of that debate.

I don't have a strong opinion on the Israel / Palestine conflict, but anti-Israel boycott laws aimed at punishing US companies for their freedom of speech seems wrong. If you choose not to support the company because of their statement that's fine.
Guess you weren’t around in the mid-80’s when boycotting businesses in South Africa was all the rage in all levels of government.

Reactions: Hallsome
Guess you weren’t around in the mid-80’s when boycotting businesses in South Africa was all the rage in all levels of government.

That was the opposite of what happened with Israel.

Israel is one of our greatest allies and should be supported. Unfortunately Arabs continues to campaign against the existence of Israel and have made many college campuses hotbeds of Israeli hatred.

State laws against dealing with boycotts are in compliance with US Policy. I work for a multi national company that also has a training program in place to ensure the company avoids working with any other company that is involved with boycotting Israel.

From trade.gov website

Antiboycott Compliance​

The United States has a policy of opposing restrictive trade practices or boycotts fostered or imposed by foreign countries against other countries friendly to the U.S. The antiboycott laws were adopted to encourage, and in specified cases, require U.S. firms to refuse to participate in foreign boycotts that the U.S. does not sanction. They have the effect of preventing U.S. firms from being used to implement foreign policies of other nations which run counter to U.S. policy.

This policy is implemented through the anti-boycott provisions of the Export Administration Act of 1979 (EAA)—enforced by the U.S. Department of Commerce— and through a 1977 amendment to the Tax Reform Act of 1976—enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

Part 760 of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) implements the EAA’s anti-boycott provisions. U.S. persons are prohibited from taking certain actions with the intent to comply with, further, or support an unsolicited foreign boycott.

I wouldn’t expect you to have an opinion on the only democracy in the ME lol

Reactions: afghan whigs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT