ADVERTISEMENT

Holtmann to DePaul

Pat Kennedy
Dave Leitao
Jerry Wainwright
Oliver Purnell
Dave Leitao - the sequel
Tony Stubblefield

Holtmann is easily at the top of this list. He had nine straight 20-win seasons at Gardner Webb, Butler and Ohio State before the last two years. Seven straight NCAA bids at Butler and OSU with at least one win in six of the seven years.

This is probably as good as hire as DePaul is coming up with.

Guy can coach, had really good run at both Butler and Ohio St before the last 2 years, he knows the BE, I think it is a good hire, especially based on how bad DePaul has been for so long.

he made butler a tournament team, why not depaul
Are we talking about the Butler program that made 11 NCAA Tournaments between 1997 and 2013? That includes going to the national championship game in back-to-back years (2010 and 2011).

Holtmann took over in 2014.

Are we talking about the Butler program that made 11 NCAA Tournaments between 1997 and 2013? That includes going to the national championship game in back-to-back years (2010 and 2011).

i mean, they had brad stevens who was a college phenom. hes now running the celtics

Last edited:
Good coach, proven track record. DePaul made a good hire finally. Now change all the branding and start a true rebuild.

Wonder what was going on at OSU this year.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
I'm not sure what to make of this hire. I mean, I'm sure DePaul couldn't do much better, at least if they were insistent on an experienced head coach, which was probably prudent. And four years ago, this would look like a home run. But I wonder why Ohio State tanked so badly these past two seasons? And then rocketed up the Big Ten standings once Holtmann was let go?

He did a very good job at Butler, but that program was also on pretty firm footing, that weird Brandon Miller mini-era notwithstanding. He did right that ship immediately, and then had five good but not at all great seasons at OSU. To me, his star has dimmed quite a bit, but I'm also a believer in "fit" and I think DePaul is a better fit for him than Ohio State was.

I supposed we'll find out.

I think it is a fairly good hire. Nonetheless, it would be so Depaul that they hire a guy that got fired midseason from Ohio St, and his replacement guides his former team into the tournament.

• Haha
Reactions: SHUSource
Good coach, proven track record. DePaul made a good hire finally. Now change all the branding and start a true rebuild.

Wonder what was going on at OSU this year.
it seems so dumb but they really do need to change the branding. need a full reset and identity.

I'm not sure what to make of this hire. I mean, I'm sure DePaul couldn't do much better, at least if they were insistent on an experienced head coach, which was probably prudent. And four years ago, this would look like a home run. But I wonder why Ohio State tanked so badly these past two seasons? And then rocketed up the Big Ten standings once Holtmann was let go?

He did a very good job at Butler, but that program was also on pretty firm footing, that weird Brandon Miller mini-era notwithstanding. He did right that ship immediately, and then had five good but not at all great seasons at OSU. To me, his star has dimmed quite a bit, but I'm also a believer in "fit" and I think DePaul is a better fit for him than Ohio State was.

I supposed we'll find out.
ohio st should have finished last in the big 10. 5 game win streak to end it and still going in the tournament. sounds like a coach thing.

who could they have realistically gotten?

he made butler a tournament team, why not depaul

i mean, they had brad stevens who was a college phenom. hes now running the celtics
Correct. But that only accounts for five of those 11 bids. Barry Collier, Thad Matta and Todd Lickliter also had something to do with those tournament appearances.

Point is you said "he made butler (sic) a tournament team." That implies he built the program from nothing.

Correct. But that only accounts for five of those 11 bids. Barry Collier, Thad Matta and Todd Lickliter also had something to do with those tournament appearances.

Point is you said "he made butler (sic) a tournament team." That implies he built the program from nothing.
well if youre looking for a guy who built is own team, hes not going to depaul lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT