ADVERTISEMENT

Honest vaccine question

sami

All World
Jun 1, 2001
I put this out with the caveat that I am no medical expert and don’t profess to be. My degrees are in mathematics, philosophy and finance, not biotechnology. I also look for feedback to where/how my understanding is incorrect on any of this without political debate. I have done my research out of curiosity through the last year and wonder if I am directionally correct. I post this because all of the rhetoric about mRNA targeting being new technology.

A vaccine is created to place a foreign body into a subject to cause an immune response. Traditionally, this is a weakened form of the actual virus that the body can then detect, and learn to fight.

RNA and mRNA is a building block of cells. The vaccine technology focusing on mRNA is to create a synthetic replication of a piece of the virus, not the entire virus. In this cases the protein strain that is the makeup of the spike protein that the virus uses to attach itself to healthy cells. The vaccine introduces a foreign body, which a healthy immune system detects and learns to fight. Traditionally, weakened virus. New technology, a synthetic replication of a piece of the virus.

In both cases, the goal is that when the virus naturally is introduced to the body, the immune system recognizes the foreign body and fights the intrusion.

Using mRNA technology to create a vaccine is an innovation but is not a recreation of the wheel. Maybe more akin to adding ball bearings. The main premise of a vaccine is that a foreign body is introduced and the immune system learns to fight it, with the healthy immune system being the primary component of a vaccination.

I put this out with the caveat that I am no medical expert and don’t profess to be. My degrees are in mathematics, philosophy and finance, not biotechnology. I also look for feedback to where/how my understanding is incorrect on any of this without political debate. I have done my research out of curiosity through the last year and wonder if I am directionally correct. I post this because all of the rhetoric about mRNA targeting being new technology.

A vaccine is created to place a foreign body into a subject to cause an immune response. Traditionally, this is a weakened form of the actual virus that the body can then detect, and learn to fight.

RNA and mRNA is a building block of cells. The vaccine technology focusing on mRNA is to create a synthetic replication of a piece of the virus, not the entire virus. In this cases the protein strain that is the makeup of the spike protein that the virus uses to attach itself to healthy cells. The vaccine introduces a foreign body, which a healthy immune system detects and learns to fight. Traditionally, weakened virus. New technology, a synthetic replication of a piece of the virus.

In both cases, the goal is that when the virus naturally is introduced to the body, the immune system recognizes the foreign body and fights the intrusion.

Using mRNA technology to create a vaccine is an innovation but is not a recreation of the wheel. Maybe more akin to adding ball bearings. The main premise of a vaccine is that a foreign body is introduced and the immune system learns to fight it, with the healthy immune system being the primary component of a vaccination.
As has been explained to me by people that have been involved with HHS, and in research, the mRNA technology has never been used in the delivery of a vaccine, in fact, Moderna had been attempting to do this for years without any success. I'm probably not explaining this nearly as eloquently, but we don't know what happens with the delivery system once it has attached to the spike protein and fought the virus. The concern is that you may have the potential to develop auto-immune diseases later on in life. It's a theory and only time and data will determine whether that is true. This is why every new drug in this country has to go through a rigorous Phase III clinical trial and approval process (which these vaccines have not gone through).

Reactions: shu09
Got my J&J vaccine today. No wait, took all of 5 minutes and we did some quick shopping while they printed up our cards.

Hope I don’t have side effects since we’re playing a great course in Scranton tomorrow.

Got my J&J vaccine today. No wait, took all of 5 minutes and we did some quick shopping while they printed up our cards.

Hope I don’t have side effects since we’re playing a great course in Scranton tomorrow.
I got mine too ocean county board of health at occ

Good luck. Interested to hear your experience if you don't mind sharing.

Reactions: HALL85

wouldnt the jj also have similar unknowns like the mrna?

Good to know you had no ill effects.
except shingles LOL. but that could be related to something that pops up in the future more than the virus.

if Hall85 got JJ im happy to be on that side haha. hes a big healthcare guy.

except shingles LOL. but that could be related to something that pops up in the future more than the virus.

Yes, of course. Forgive me, I forgot about that. Hope it is all cleared up now.

Kind of have the same mindset. Hoping he has no ill effects.

I don’t have a side, but thanks

you seemed pretty clear why youndidnt get the mrna one lol.
But I’ve also said everyone needs to make their own decision. I would have taken the others if circumstances dictated.

On nj transit train, body response kicking in...chills, pains in lower muscles i will go home have a large cup of tea and turn in

But I’ve also said everyone needs to make their own decision. I would have taken the others if circumstances dictated.
thats true but some people are able to make more informed opinions than others.

On nj transit train, body response kicking in...chills, pains in lower muscles i will go home have a large cup of tea and turn in
Found time to find a clip of Tucker Carlson though. Gee wouldn’t it be nice if guys like Tucker could be as balanced as someone like Colbert or Kimmel?

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
1st dose of Moderna yesterday, shoulder sore like I got punched, was tired and slept 9 hours but also exhausted from the last 2 weeks of work. Other than that, feeling fine. No other effects at this time.

Got Pfizer both shots in March. No effects other than a sore arm and a little tired the next day after the second shot. Oh and I grew a third nipple too but that was it. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: SHUSA
Got Pfizer both shots in March. No effects other than a sore arm and a little tired the next day after the second shot. Oh and I grew a third nipple too but that was it. 😉
Everyone can use a third nipple. It’s an ice breaker at those awkward summer parties where we’ve all gain a little weight.

Yeah, put on 20 lbs, but check this shit out!

Reactions: Section112
Ahhh. Our club does a full bus trip up there. I have not plated but everyone says it's a good track.
Good news, no side effects this morning. My playing partner has been sending me texts all morning asking if I was OK… LOL. It was described to me as a “man’s course”. length and challenges. Definitely doesn’t play to my strengths:).

My wife was not as fortunate. Headache and nausea this morning. Sleeping it off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT