ADVERTISEMENT

How could they dishonor our country.

I am a disappointed Steelers fan right now. Dumb decision and way to protest. Got to find a better way to make a statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountain25
This will of course fall on deaf ear here...but maybe just maaaaybe think about the issue the protest wants u to think about, and not the act itself. If all these guys think black people being gunned down by cops, unfairly targeted, cops having too quick a trigger finger etc etc is that big a deal to do a major public protest that could affect their jobs (sorry for the run on), could it be that there's something there and we should listen and do something about it?

If they want to really make a statement and get everyone's attention don't go on the field to play the game. Truth is the stance is important, but no way in hell is anyone going to risk how it affects their wallet. When people think the position they are taking is more important than their finances it will go much further.

They make it cause they earn it by being the best in their profession in the world. And like Bobbie says, they have their reasons.

Trump should get a job in the wilderness as a Firestarter. He could fan a spark into a forest fire in one tweet.

I’m close to giving up on the pro sports brats. Especially when they make so much money
That's the beauty of this country. They can protest. You can choose not to watch. And if there is enough people like you, it's going to hav an impact on their wallet. If not they won't miss you. The weird part of this is you have the left and the right against football.

I wouldn't mind protests if they were based on facts. Instead they're based on lies, lies and more lies.

Anybody who bothers to read crime statistics knows who is committing crimes at an outrageous rate in gross disproportion to population percentages.

Heather Mac Donald has written many articles and a book about crime statistics based on demographics. Yet these numbers were known prior to her work.

Black on black crime is a national disgrace yet when you bring it up the left cries racism.

If facts were discussed you'd know that white on black crime is rare compared to black on white crime. Again, in huge disparity of the population percentage.

But people lie to make a political statement.

And then there's the FACT that so many inner cities and large cities with huge problems with crime, corruption and abysmal school systems have been led by Democrats for decades.

In some cases there's not a single non-Democrat council member.

New Orleans, for example, has not had a Republican mayor for about 150 years.

Today it was kind of funny- in a non-humerous way- to see black players standing for God Bless the Queen in the UK.

The UK!

The UK!

The United Kingdom- along with Spain, France, Portugal, the Netherlands and several African nations- started the slave trade to the Americans long before the United States existed.

So much ignorance.

I wouldn't mind protests if they were based on facts. Instead they're based on lies, lies and more lies.

Anybody who bothers to read crime statistics knows who is committing crimes at an outrageous rate in gross disproportion to population percentages.

Heather Mac Donald has written many articles and a book about crime statistics based on demographics. Yet these numbers were known prior to her work.

Black on black crime is a national disgrace yet when you bring it up the left cries racism.

If facts were discussed you'd know that white on black crime is rare compared to black on white crime. Again, in huge disparity of the population percentage.

And then there's the FACT that so many inner cities and large cities with huge problems with crime, corruption and abysmal school systems have been led by Democrats for decades.

Today it was kind of funny- in a non-humerous way- to see black players standing for God Bless the Queen in the UK.

The UK!

The UK!

The United Kingdom- along with Spain, France, Portugal, the Netherlands and several African nations- started the slave trade to the Americans long before the United States existed.

So much ignorance.
That has nothing to do with the situation, why kapernick et al are protesring.

If they want to really make a statement and get everyone's attention don't go on the field to play the game. Truth is the stance is important, but no way in hell is anyone going to risk how it affects their wallet. When people think the position they are taking is more important than their finances it will go much further.

These spoiled brats would NEVER give up a paycheck.

The
This will of course fall on deaf ear here...but maybe just maaaaybe think about the issue the protest wants u to think about, and not the act itself. If all these guys think black people being gunned down by cops, unfairly targeted, cops having too quick a trigger finger etc etc is that big a deal to do a major public protest that could affect their jobs (sorry for the run on), could it be that there's something there and we should listen and do something about it?

Finally someone gets it that it's not a statement about the flag, anthem or US. But it sure as hell has raised awareness in some circles about what they are really trying to say... and I don't think you can say it hasn't gotten them attention.

Ha. This country has woken up finally. I’ll never support NFL for anything. Put your jerseys in the campfire and protest back. Who needs their name in your back F them.

EDIT

You have been suspended before and despite my detailed threads about name calling you persists in doing so. Not sure why you continue to feel the need to test me.

This is your absolute last warning. I suggest you heed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not. It's about the violent tactics & sometimes insanely quick trigger finger used towards black & minority criminals (and sometimes non-criminals...Tamir Rice most notably to me) that does not happen in large with white people.

And if you want to further broaden the issue to include white people that come into contact with cops, you can take race out of it and we can just discuss the nationwide problem of cops escalating issues instead of deescalating. The nurse in Utah comes to mind.

EDITED.

I definitely think we need to do something about police with a quick trigger. Let's say on average there is one of them a month, that's one a month too many. But that doesn't compare to the number of people dying because of criminals with guns. That doesn't compare to gangs killing innocent people. There are so many bigger problems. I'm not trying to downplay the problem of police with quick trigger fingers, but why aren't these athletes trying to call attention to things like Dwayne Wades's cousin being killed. That happens 1000 times more often than a quick trigger officer. We need to stop bad police but there are other actions that are more serious in all communities.

You cannot have a discussion/debate at any time with any leftist without them whipping out the typical comments and personal name calling.

That used to work to shut people up. But people are fed up. Thanks to people like this, Trump is president. Keep it up.

How does it feel to have helped elect Donald Trump, leftists? Good job. The more you talk and the more you insult Americans the more votes he gets. It's actually quite amusing to witness.

They always fixate on the one cop who made a bad decision, usually in a highly stressful situation in a high crime neighborhood after a call to police about a man with a gun/knife and within that situation usually dealing with somebody with a criminal history.

How many people here have actually been in the worst neighborhoods in the metro area?

It's so nice to sit at home or at the office and attack the cops when you have not felt you're in serious danger by just walking on a sidewalk. Imagine living in that neighborhood wth your kids.

So many recent protests have dealt with somebody the police shot who has long criminal record. But if you bring up the person's long rap sheet you're called an angry racist. Facts don't matter.

Of course some cops need better training. And there are a small number of cops who should be prosecuted. But the big problem is mayors who care only about elections and who refuse to create better neighborhoods and better schools.

Is there any excuse for Newark or Paterson? The crime, corruption and education problems in those cities have been going on more than 50 YEARS. Those cities- and at least 100 more like them- are run by Democrats. LIBERAL DEMOCRATS run the most high crime cites in the United States with the worst schools.

I'm not a Republican. I'm independent. Both parties are basically the same to me. But disrespecting the flag and your own country is disgusting. There's no nation on Earth that tolerates and accepts such a practice.

Kneeling during the anthem is not about police violence. It is about the treatment of persons of color in this country (both by the government and the nation at large). The fact that is not clear is one of the reasons why it has been an ineffective form of protest to date. It is also unclear what specific policy changes or remedies are being protest for which compounds its ineffectiveness. Additionally, the act of protesting the anthem likely turns people away that would otherwise agree with the original sentiment behind the protest which is that treatment of person of color in this country can and should be improved.

Rather than lead on this issue or even just ignore it, the President threw the nation into chaos by ineffectively putting forward a position - the goal of which is unclear. His actions over the last two weeks seemingly imply that he is suggesting that speaking out about the treatment of persons of color is something people should shut up about or the citizens of this country should punish them for it. This implied suppression of the open expression of ideas is the antithesis of what the anthem is about. I personally care about the American ideals, not just its symbology.

You cannot have a discussion/debate at any time with any leftist without them whipping out the typical comments and personal name calling.

That used to work to shut people up. But people are fed up. Thanks to people like this, Trump is president. Keep it up.

How does it feel to have helped elect Donald Trump, leftists? Good job. The more you talk and the more you insult Americans the more votes he gets. It's actually quite amusing to witness.

They always fixate on the one cop who made a bad decision, usually in a highly stressful situation in a high crime neighborhood after a call to police about a man with a gun/knife and within that situation usually dealing with somebody with a criminal history.

How many people here have actually been in the worst neighborhoods in the metro area?

It's so nice to sit at home or at the office and attack the cops when you have not felt you're in serious danger by just walking on a sidewalk. Imagine living in that neighborhood wth your kids.

So many recent protests have dealt with somebody the police shot who has long criminal record. But if you bring up the person's long rap sheet you're called an angry racist. Facts don't matter.

Of course some cops need better training. And there are a small number of cops who should be prosecuted. But the big problem is mayors who care only about elections and who refuse to create better neighborhoods and better schools.

Is there any excuse for Newark or Paterson? The crime, corruption and education problems in those cities have been going on more than 50 YEARS. Those cities- and at least 100 more like them- are run by Democrats. LIBERAL DEMOCRATS run the most high crime cites in the United States with the worst schools.

I'm not a Republican. I'm independent. Both parties are basically the same to me. But disrespecting the flag and your own country is disgusting. There's no nation on Earth that tolerates and accepts such a practice.

You're using "leftist" as a term of derision when calling that group out for name calling. You then say that the "leftist" tactic is try to shut people up. Then you tell "leftists" to shut up.

Then I stopped reading.

This is a heated topic but it crosses the sports world so I have no issue with this thread continuing. I just ask that every poster, regardless of his or her opinion, respect the 'other point of view' when replying and under no circumstances revert to name calling.

This is a heated topic but it crosses the sports world so I have no issue with this thread continuing. I just ask that every poster, regardless of his or her opinion, respect the 'other point of view' when replying and under no circumstances revert to name calling.

kinda frustrated that that is what you took away from my thought out post.

i really don't want to come off as ignorant, but why is there such a focus on police brutality when there are 1,000 times the amount of deaths caused by criminals, gang members, and other really bad people. Bad cops definitely need to stopped and fought against, but they cause less than .01% of the deaths that didn't need to happen. Why are we not focusing on the other 99.99% of the problems as well.

I believe i understand why players are kneeling during the national anthem. I do believe it is driven by the well publicized police shootings of black people. Some were the result of bad cops, some were due to the violent actions of the civilian, as in Fergusen.

But there is no question that police training needs to be reformed and transformed. There is a problem with cops escalating situations. A few years ago, a young black man who had a warrant out for his arrest due to a domestic violence incident, turned himself in to the Garfield, NJ police department. When he realized he was going to be incarcerated, he ran out of the police station. The police pursued him. He ended up surrounded by police in a garage in a Garfield. They ordered him to come out. When he didn't they busted into the garage, guns blazing and killed him. No attempt to talk him out of there. They knew he wasnt armed.

This sort of thing has happened too often. And it has happened to plenty of white people too.

In defense of the police, they are often put into very tough situations. The Dallas police chief says that with the crumbling of society people are very psychologically broken. Cops sometimes are asked to do too much.

Nonetheless, training needs to change and include psychology, negotiation skills, and perhaps some sociology, and prayer.

However, It really irks me that football games are being politicized. I think a lot of athletes are being hypocritical in that they give NOTHING back to their communities. But i understand their motivation to kneel during the national anthem to some extent.

I spent a substantial number of years living in ghettoes, working with the homeless, visiting prisons, etc. I am a conservative.

Reactions: mbraue

The UK!

The UK!

So much ignorance.
This is a mic drop post.

Catholicman,
The police knew he didn't have a weapon? I guess they had their X-ray glasses on to see he didn't have a weapon. No way he could have picked up a hammer, axe shovel etc... maybe, just maybe if that sweet little boy you speak of, you know the one who had a warrant? Maybe if he didn't flee police and barricade himself in a garage he would be alive today. I wasn't there to see if the actions of the police were justified that day but I do know that if he placed his hands behind his back like a gentleman and didn't resist by fleeing, he would be alive today.

Green is the most important color. Nflpa and players could have taken a stand some years back during the work stoppage but too many players were in too much need of weekly game checks

I’m close to giving up on the pro sports brats. Especially when they make so much money
Players that play sports professionally are playing kids' games for dream money, don't look to pro athletes as being role models because they are not

Reactions: Bluebeard
Catholicman,
The police knew he didn't have a weapon? I guess they had their X-ray glasses on to see he didn't have a weapon. No way he could have picked up a hammer, axe shovel etc... maybe, just maybe if that sweet little boy you speak of, you know the one who had a warrant? Maybe if he didn't flee police and barricade himself in a garage he would be alive today. I wasn't there to see if the actions of the police were justified that day but I do know that if he placed his hands behind his back like a gentleman and didn't resist by fleeing, he would be alive today.

Resisting arrest, being accused of domestic violence, and even assault are not capital crimes.

That's not how any of this works.

Green is the most important color. Nflpa and players could have taken a stand some years back during the work stoppage but too many players were in too much need of weekly game checks

Exactly. Multimillionaires not willing to give up a weeks pay to take a stand. How important is this topic to them. And to be honest they could make a week up very easily. Just don't have 2 weeks between conference championships and Super Bowl.

Exactly. Multimillionaires not willing to give up a weeks pay to take a stand. How important is this topic to them. And to be honest they could make a week up very easily. Just don't have 2 weeks between conference championships and Super Bowl.
Most nfl players are not 7 or 8 figure guys though, the balance of the league are on 4 yr deals that are not guaranteed and are Maybe getting 2.5 to 3 mil in total compensation for these contracts, the mannings Brady roethlisberger could afford to miss a season or more a 6th round pick who is a second string db can't

Catholicman,
I discussed this with a retired police chief from a nearby town. He is as pro-police as you can get and a conservative Republican. He thought the Garfield police really screwed up. But nobody got in trouble.

Most nfl players are not 7 or 8 figure guys though, the balance of the league are on 4 yr deals that are not guaranteed and are Maybe getting 2.5 to 3 mil in total compensation for these contracts, the mannings Brady roethlisberger could afford to miss a season or more a 6th round pick who is a second string db can't

There's enough guys who can afford to sit out. I would rather see that than not standing for our flag or anthem. Like all people our country is not perfect, but we've grown in many ways and still having growing to do. But we will be able to advance only because of the brave men and women who were willing to die for the red, white, and blue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT