ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley & Calhoun sit down interview

Danny references in the interview that a couple BE schools would not give him an interview when he was at Wagner and Rhode Island. Any thoughts as to who those schools were and any chance it was SHU??

Danny references in the interview that a couple BE schools would not give him an interview when he was at Wagner and Rhode Island. Any thoughts as to who those schools were and any chance it was SHU??
Seems unlikely since he started at Wagner same year Willard was hired. And we weren't looking for our next coach until after Hurley was at UConn, obviously.

Surely not us but it does point out that most hiring decisions are made by folks who get it wrong more than right. I’m always amazed by the flawed decision making of those entrusted with the power to hire. And to fire for that matter as well. Basically, there is a surfeit of poor leaders. And a real shortage of good to great leaders.

Coaching vacancies in the Big East 2011-2018
2011: Providence (Cooley)
2013: Butler (Miller)
2014: Butler, (Holtmann), Marquette (Wojciechowski)
2015: DePaul (Leitao), St. John's (Mullin)
2017: Butler (Jordan), Georgetown (Ewing)
2018: Xavier (Steele)

Of those assuming that he wanted to stay on the East coast, I think he's obviously referring to St. John's. Can definitely see Georgetown under DeGoia basically eschewing all candidates for Ewing. Maybe Providence but that's understandable in 2011.

Coaching vacancies in the Big East 2011-2018
2011: Providence (Cooley)
2013: Butler (Miller)
2014: Butler, (Holtmann), Marquette (Wojciechowski)
2015: DePaul (Leitao), St. John's (Mullin)
2017: Butler (Jordan), Georgetown (Ewing)
2018: Xavier (Steele)

Of those assuming that he wanted to stay on the East coast, I think he's obviously referring to St. John's. Can definitely see Georgetown under DeGoia basically eschewing all candidates for Ewing. Maybe Providence but that's understandable in 2011.
When he was a ass. at ru they would not give him the money he wanted to be the head coach. That was told to me by a ru guy for what it's worth .

Reactions: CL82 and HallX2
When he was a ass. at ru they would not give him the money he wanted to be the head coach. That was told to me by a ru guy for what it's worth .

Yeah I forgot to put in that list RU, which was Big Ten bound with a stopover in the American beginning the next season when the Mike Rice scandal broke in March of '13. UCONN also had an opening in 2012 when Calhoun retired.

Someone can correct me but my recollection is that Hobbs tried but Hurley rebuffed him in both 2013 and 2016 before Pike was hired.

Yeah I forgot to put in that list RU, which was Big Ten bound with a stopover in the American beginning the next season when the Mike Rice scandal broke in March of '13. UCONN also had an opening in 2012 when Calhoun retired.

Someone can correct me but my recollection is that Hobbs tried but Hurley rebuffed him in both 2013 and 2016 before Pike was hired.
Hobbs started at RU in December 2015 so he would not have had any input in 2013.

Reactions: silkcitypirate

If it wasn't Ollie, it would have been Shaka Smart.

FWIW, the interview it's a great listen.

Hobbs started at RU in December 2015 so he would not have had any input in 2013.

That's right I thought that when Pernetti was let go then Pat Hobbs stepped in. But I completely forgot about the Julie Hermann...um...era...

A special interview.

All I can say is, thank god we have Coach Sha.

Very similar to both. Intensity, toughness, caring, leadership

Reactions: CL82
"All I can say is, thank god we have Coach Sha."

I'm glad we have him, too; but (...careful....) rather than Danny?

"All I can say is, thank god we have Coach Sha."

I'm glad we have him, too; but (...careful....) rather than Danny?
Danny has had tremendous success and I'm unbelievably happy for him, but it's important to note he has one of the most powerful platforms in the sport supporting him. In my opinion it's not crazy to say or think that Sha is a better fit for Seton Hall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT