ADVERTISEMENT

I can hear it now.......

I know it's hard but everyone just try to be positive. This board is such a miserable read when every freaking thread is so negative. We lose a game and 90% of the board loses their shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluebeard
I don't agree with the public schedule complaints. But I'll give you the choice of 2 or 4 days to prepare.

Reactions: Piratefan2009
Too much time off can be of disservice to a team too.

Look, we have to beat Creighton at home on Wed night.

Plenty of tix available for those who want this team to win that game.
Make a difference in the stands, be loud.

Reactions: shupat08
I truly don't see how the schedule is a problem because other than Creighton and Villanova, who were clearly the top 2 in the conference when we played them, nobody else has beaten Seton Hall other than Seton Hall. We beat ourselves game in and game out with careless turnovers and free throws. The careless turnovers bother me. I think if the bench was used as a motivational tool more, there wouldn't be as many. And I don't care if we have no depth, play a walk on. A starter getting pulled for a walkon may open his eyes, even if it's only for a couple possessions. The missed free throws don't bother me so much. There are people who play this game a long time and make a ton of money who struggle at the line. Who on this team is really a good FT shooter besides Powell? We are what we are at the line. Everyone says hire a free throw coach. How much do they really work? I'm sure Shaq, Wilt, Howard, etc have all tried a free throw coach at one point. What percentage of people here have a clue what Duval and Cale shoot at the line? Nobody ever says we need a better free throw shooting recruit. Sadly Seton Hall continuously beats Seton Hall with careless turnovers and free throws, the number of days between games doesn't.

Reactions: mbraue
I truly don't see how the schedule is a problem because other than Creighton and Villanova, who were clearly the top 2 in the conference when we played them, nobody else has beaten Seton Hall other than Seton Hall. We beat ourselves game in and game out with careless turnovers and free throws. The careless turnovers bother me. I think if the bench was used as a motivational tool more, there wouldn't be as many. And I don't care if we have no depth, play a walk on. A starter getting pulled for a walkon may open his eyes, even if it's only for a couple possessions. The missed free throws don't bother me so much. There are people who play this game a long time and make a ton of money who struggle at the line. Who on this team is really a good FT shooter besides Powell? We are what we are at the line. Everyone says hire a free throw coach. How much do they really work? I'm sure Shaq, Wilt, Howard, etc have all tried a free throw coach at one point. What percentage of people here have a clue what Duval and Cale shoot at the line? Nobody ever says we need a better free throw shooting recruit. Sadly Seton Hall continuously beats Seton Hall with careless turnovers and free throws, the number of days between games doesn't.

1. Ask PJ if bringing in a free throw coach worked.
2. Given the failure over a number of seasons to improve our free throw shooting why wouldn't our coach try something else , I.e. Bringing in an outsider.
3. You are right we do beat ourselves but the blame for that falls on not only the players but the head coach as well.

Does anyone else find it ironic how Willard was complaining about not sleeping in their own beds but the team stays in a hotel the night before every home game too...

I actually like the idea of staying in a hotel the night before if it is about discipline and making sure the team is going to bed early and staying away from dumb stuff. Every team and coach is going to have their style, and I don't fault them for this move. I do fault all the complaining. Just go out and win games and let your record speak for itself.

1. Ask PJ if bringing in a free throw coach worked.
2. Given the failure over a number of seasons to improve our free throw shooting why wouldn't our coach try something else , I.e. Bringing in an outsider.
3. You are right we do beat ourselves but the blame for that falls on not only the players but the head coach as well.
1. I will gladly ask him, however I don't have his number, can you please post it. Thank you
2. I have no clue what was tried and what wasn't tried. All I can say is whatever has been tried hasn't worked for anyone but Jones who shot around 55% at Wake and is shooting almost 70% here.
3. I never gave the head coach a free pass. I said I wish he would use the bench more as a motivational tool to get people's attention.

I actually like the idea of staying in a hotel the night before if it is about discipline and making sure the team is going to bed early and staying away from dumb stuff. Every team and coach is going to have their style, and I don't fault them for this move. I do fault all the complaining. Just go out and win games and let your record speak for itself.
I have no problem with them staying in the hotel the night before, I am also a fan of the move. Too many distractions in dorms or apartments while in college (seen it first hand)...I was just pointing out the fact that you contradict yourself by complaining about being in hotels.

if staying in hotels stops them from turning the ball over then I'm all for it.

The Short Hills Hilton is a very nice hotel. My family and I stayed there over Christmas while visiting family in NJ

Too much time off can be of disservice to a team too.

Look, we have to beat Creighton at home on Wed night.

Plenty of tix available for those who want this team to win that game.
Make a difference in the stands, be loud.

And at least we are home. We could have a full week to prep for Nova and I'd still give us a 5% chance. Just beat the BlueJays to start.

Villanova will have 4 days prepare for us this weekend, while we'll just have 2 days.
Stupid post.

How about "Villanova is the #2 team in the nation and we're a middle of the road BE team."

But you're right, it's necessary to keep harping on the same themes. How about going to the game, walking up to Pat Lyons and voicing your displeasure. Because this board itself has become utterly unreadable.

I have no problem with them staying in the hotel the night before, I am also a fan of the move. Too many distractions in dorms or apartments while in college (seen it first hand)...I was just pointing out the fact that you contradict yourself by complaining about being in hotels.
He's not contradicting,he was making a point of the team going to Florida, then the next week traveling to Hawaii, Then traveling back and playing in MSG, and before the Florida trip they went to Iowa. Then he was referring to playing the 3 road games in 6 days... yeah we will compare that to taking the players the night before a home game to the Short Hills Hilton, to get away from other students and distractions for 12 hours... keep searching for stuff

As the TV commercial once said: "can you hear me now?" Hear this: very disappointing season and coach speak even more so. Based on play to date KW could have a week to prepare for The Nova and the outcome would be the same - lame excuses for his failures.

Nova is down to 7 rotation players. No excuses from Wright. Now Reynolds has rib injury, didn't play against Xavier, and they still won. Got to step up to the plate and take your best swings.

Stupid post.

How about "Villanova is the #2 team in the nation and we're a middle of the road BE team."

But you're right, it's necessary to keep harping on the same themes. How about going to the game, walking up to Pat Lyons and voicing your displeasure. Because this board itself has become utterly unreadable.

I agree people need to show up to the next 4 home games. Going up to Pat Lyons isn't going to do much. I'm sure he knows fans are upset. I'm sure Lyons and Willard are both frustrated with the record. Lyons isn't going to become a coach to do something nor is he going to get a new coach for next year. Even if we win out the rest of the way, I'm sure there's going to be a talk about how to clean up the mistakes and free throw problems because we can compete with anybody 5 on 5. Game of free throws and we are in trouble.

You are what your record says you are.

I think Parcell's is a legendary coach but that quote is just not true and it only applies to teams with bad records. Not once has anyone said Gonzaga is perfect, yet their record says they are.

I think Parcell's is a legendary coach but that quote is just not true and it only applies to teams with bad records. Not once has anyone said Gonzaga is perfect, yet their record says they are.

Parcells was absolutely right. When it comes to judging coaches people care about what they can do on the field/court. Coach K isn't a hall of famer because he is part-timing at St. Jude's.

Your example is completely abstract from the quote. No one is talking about "perfection" as it relates to a sports team. Going unbeaten does not equal "being perfect" in college basketball. Parcells is saying people judge you and your team based on what it can do on the court, which is absolutely true for pretty much every sport always.

Reactions: HallLine69
Parcells was absolutely right. When it comes to judging coaches people care about what they can do on the field/court. Coach K isn't a hall of famer because he is part-timing at St. Jude's.

Your example is completely abstract from the quote. No one is talking about "perfection" as it relates to a sports team. Going unbeaten does not equal "being perfect" in college basketball. Parcells is saying people judge you and your team based on what it can do on the court, which is absolutely true for pretty much every sport always.
Ok so are you saying Vermont is doing better things on the court than Syracuse? Maybe in a world of 30 teams it's more accurate, but on a level of 350+ teams that all can't play each other it's simply not true.

Parcells' quote was related strictly to the NFL, where everyone competes on an equal footing ... as teams do in the Big East. In those contexts, you are indeed what your record says you are.

It wasn't meant to be applied to all sports situations, nor as a means of interpreting the relative strength of one league versus another.

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Iona Gaels
(Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) (2007–2010)
2007–08 Iona 12–20 8–10 7th
2008–09 Iona 12–19 7–11 7th
2009–10 Iona 21–10 12–6 3rd
Iona: 45–49 (.479) 27–27 (.500)
Seton Hall Pirates (Big East Conference) (2010–present)
2010–11 Seton Hall 13–17 7–11 12th
2011–12 Seton Hall 21–13 8–10 10th NIT Second Round
2012–13 Seton Hall 15–18 3–15 13th
2013–14 Seton Hall 17–17 6–12 8th
2014–15 Seton Hall 16–15 6–12 T–7th
2015–16 Seton Hall 25–9 12–6 3rd NCAA First Round
2016–17 Seton Hall 15-9 5-7
Seton Hall: 122–98 (.554) 47–73 (.392)

Ok so are you saying Vermont is doing better things on the court than Syracuse? Maybe in a world of 30 teams it's more accurate, but on a level of 350+ teams that all can't play each other it's simply not true.

Good lord. "Record" would also include who you play with respect to college basketball. I feel like you're intentionally trying to misinterpret the quote in the narrowest sense possible.

As someone else said it is easier to compare records in the NFL than CBB, but team to team comparison within league is more than relevant.

*EDIT* Bill Parcells is also his name, which is minor and not related to the parts above.

It has to do with winning and losing , not perfection. If Bill didn't say this, do you know who did? It really does get down to the rock bottom facts. Without spin. excuses, coach talk, or any of the other fog that many losing coaches hide behind.

Reactions: HallLine69
Losing record 5 out of 6 years. Looks like it will be 6 out of 7. We continue to have the same problems year after year re bad free throw shooting, ugly offense, crazy substitution patterns, kids leaving the program, poor recruiting. Yet people still follow him blindly.

It has to do with winning and losing , not perfection. If Bill didn't say this, do you know who did? It really does get down to the rock bottom facts. Without spin. excuses, coach talk, or any of the other fog that many losing coaches hide behind.
If you are what your record says you are maybe Orr should have never been fired.

Last edited:
Stupid post.

Some of you people need to lighten up. I truly meant to start this whole thread in a somewhat humorous tone. But we all know Kevin harps on this. I'm not saying he is right or wrong, but I'd like to see him pull something off big time this week; good coaches/teams find a way to do it.

Reactions: anon_4htvdezyfe7k9
If you are what your record says you are maybe Orr should have never been fired.
In hindsight you're right. We should have complemented him with an Associate Head Coach who had charisma and could build a program. Louis was a good big man's coach and won games. But he was too laid back. and it was one season at a time.

KW had something good going with the IW recruiting class but didn't have a PG and shooters to replace Whitehead's points and Gordon's toughness. As a veteran coach who's not a kid anymore he should have seen that coming.

We'll see what's next. I really hope he pulls off a miracle as I love having something to root for in March.

For as many anti-Willard posters there are here, there are a fair share of some who probably think they are close enough and important to the program to offer what I would consider less than objective opinions.

KW has used the scheduling excuse a lot, and it may be his way of protecting his players, which I'm alright with, but he also recently stated that at this stage of the season, the coaches and players know each other and preparation time is less important. I'll reserve my opinion until I hear his post-game comments pending the outcome of these next few games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parcells' quote was related strictly to the NFL, where everyone competes on an equal footing ... as teams do in the Big East. In those contexts, you are indeed what your record says you are.

It wasn't meant to be applied to all sports situations, nor as a means of interpreting the relative strength of one league versus another.

Wow so you are saying teams in the same conference are on equal footing. Do you really believe that? Is there something similar to a salary cap that attempts to create a competitive balance? Is there something like a draft that doesn't allow all the top players to go to the team with most resources? Do you really believe schools like Rutgers and Northwestern are on equal footing with Ohio State and Michigan? Sure they may be able to compete in some sports, but if those big schools decided to throw their resources into soccer, baseball, tennis, etc like they do in football, they could dominate everything. There are no rules within a specific conference that attempts to even the playing the field. The only thing the schools in our conference have in common as far as resources is men's basketball is their cash cow.

Last edited:
For as many anti-Willard posters there are here, there are a fair share of some who probably think they are close enough and important to the program to offer what I would consider less than objective opinions.

KW has used the scheduling excuse a lot, and it may be his way of protecting his players, which I'm alright with, but he also recently stated that at this stage of the season, the coaches and players know each other and preparation time is less important. I'll reserve my opinion until I hear his post-game comments pending the outcome of these next few games.
I'm no Willard apologist, but I think there is way to much scrutiny placed on the actual words used 15 minutes after a loss vs. what would actually make sense and get him chastised for blaming the team. I'm sure some of the people who examine the post game pressers also believe the Bible as a literal history book.

3-game road trip - games were bunched together and with the travel, had no time to get the team in their own gym to kick the shit out of them in practice. Is that an excuse or acknowledgement of bad luck? Should he have said the team lacks a true leader on the court that can carry us through 3 games like that? We folded against Nova.

He can blame scheduling, injury, or anything else, but he problem we have is Kc and Desi have disappeared for huge stretches of a game to even across games.

Yes, I blame Willard for team construction. I think he needs some help developing an offense. But my point was how many times can we say the same thing over and over?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT