ADVERTISEMENT

If only...

We can dream. At least for a while.

If two games break right this weekend we're talking about the first place Giants and the first place Jets.

Has that happened this late at any time in the 21st century?

We can dream. At least for a while.

If two games break right this weekend we're talking about the first place Giants and the first place Jets.
Giants winning their games in the last five minutes. Last 10 years, they lose the majority of any close Q4 game. Coaching? Confidence? They keep it close; they have a chance.

Daboll and the Giants staff are doing more with less than anyone in the league. It’s impressive. My friends and I were saying today the Giants probably have at most 6-7 guys that start and are significant contributors on most other teams (keeping rookies out, too soon to draw conclusions). And one of those is the kicker.

I’m less shocked with the Jets. I think the Jets have some real real talent on both sides of the ball, between the FA acquisitions and drafts. The QB is still the question mark.

Reactions: Potbelly407
We all know how important a head coach is to the success of any professional football team but what we’re seeing is how important both the offensive and defensive coordinators are and the role they play in a team’s success.There can’t be any doubt in anyone’s mind how important Wink Martindale has been to the early success of the Giants and it’s great to see just how good he is. On the offensive side of the ball Mike Kafka, the OC has devised schemes that allow Jones to manage the game, cut down on his interceptions and still produce enough offense to produce wins. You have to be happy with the Giants new head coach and his two coordinators especially compared to what we’ve seen from his most recent predecessors .

Last edited:
The Giants and Jets are tied for having the worst record in the NFL over the past 10 years. This year was expected to be more of the same. So, my question is which team's performance this year has been the greater shock and which of the local teams has the better prospects for the future?

TK

The Giants and Jets are tied for having the worst record in the NFL over the past 10 years. This year was expected to be more of the same. So, my question is which team's performance this year has been the greater shock and which of the local teams has the better prospects for the future?

TK
Future -TBD. Still too many questions at QB on both sides and unproven coaches. I love what Daboll & Co. have done so far but beyond saying he’s done a great job it would be nuts to project down the road. And I think the jury still very much out on Saleh too.

Both are surprises, but I think the Giants are the biggest shock in the league so far. Most likely didn’t have the Jets pegged at 4-2 but I think they have lots of talent on both sides.

Reactions: SnakeTom
Minus Philly at this point I have to believe this early the Jets in the AFC and the Giants in the NFC have the two coaches of the year to date.

Not likely but how great would that be for NFL metro fans who have suffered for so long to enjoy those honors at season's end?

What a difference coaching and organizational alignment makes with the Giants. This team plays great situational FB. The coach is both demanding and supportive. Look at what they’re getting out of players like Lawrence, McKinney, Love, and Jackson compared to the previous regime. Thibodeaux now showing too.

Offensively the scheme is creating something out of nothing. Coaches like Daboll and Kafka who oversaw prolific passing offenses realize they don’t have that here. Refreshing. They are beating teams like the Packers and Ravens with practice squad WR’s.

TK
As thrilled as I am with the Jets this year, I think the Giants have been the real shock. On paper and based on previous performance they did not appear the least bit imposing. The Jets, on the other hand, did a great job with free agents and in the draft and have some real talent on each side of the ball. Either way, it's great to see both teams playing so well and winning close games.

Very happy for both Giants and Jets fans. It's been a long time. What the Giants coaching staff is doing with this level of talent is hard to believe. I am stunned each week but the players believe and that is all that matters. They keep the game close and give themselves a chance and the play calling on both sides of the ball is so damn good along with special teams playing very well too. Fun to see.

I thought the Jets would be better after a few pretty good drafts and getting out of salary cap hell. Never thought the Giants had a shot frankly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT