ADVERTISEMENT

I'm a fan!!!

mikewalsh

All Big East
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2019
"A true sports fan is one who will stand with their team in both good times and bad. Being a fan is living through the roller coaster that is every season. Watching your team absolutely annihilate a rival, or get crushed by a team who has no place competing with them. Adorning the colors and logos of your franchise so everyone knows who you support."

I've been a Pirates fan since 1972 when a neighborhood kid, Paul Lape, joined the team after graduating from Bloomfield HS. I've cheered during great seasons and bad. PJ took us to the NCAA championships in 1989, however, our longest stretch of high level basketball has been engineered by Kevin Willard.

I refuse to bash or abandon our coach and team during this rough patch. I will be in attendance at the UConn game with my daughter, Hannah, celebrating and supporting our seniors regardless of the outcome. I hope that you are there with me.

GO PIRATES!!!

"A true sports fan is one who will stand with their team in both good times and bad. Being a fan is living through the roller coaster that is every season. Watching your team absolutely annihilate a rival, or get crushed by a team who has no place competing with them. Adorning the colors and logos of your franchise so everyone knows who you support."

I've been a Pirates fan since 1972 when a neighborhood kid, Paul Lape, joined the team after graduating from Bloomfield HS. I've cheered during great seasons and bad. PJ took us to the NCAA championships in 1989, however, our longest stretch of high level basketball has been engineered by Kevin Willard.

I refuse to bash or abandon our coach and team during this rough patch. I will be in attendance at the UConn game with my daughter, Hannah, celebrating and supporting our seniors regardless of the outcome. I hope that you are there with me.

GO PIRATES!!!

did you just say our longest stretch of high level basketball was engineered by Willard????

how dare you disrespect what PJ accomplished!!!!

6 NCAA appearances in 7 years
A national title appearance
An elite 8 appearance
A sweet sixteen appearance
2 BE Regular season titles
2 BET titles including the record for margin of victory in the title game
Reached a ranking of 6th in the country
Perennial top 25 program at that time
Players drafted to the NBA
BIG East Player of the year and All Time program leader in scoring with Terry Dehere
All while doing so in a conference that included coaches like John Thompson II, Lou Carneseca, Jim Boehiem, Rollie Massimino, and Jim Calhoun.

And what PJ built Seton Hall up from is not even close in comparison as well.

You can applaud Kevin Willard all you want. But I am drawing the line here.

PJ IS IN A CLASS ALL BY HIMSELF.

GO PIRATES!!!

I have worn the blue and white for 35+ years. I have gone to games coached by PJ, Blaney, Amaker, Orr, Gonzo and Willard. I've seen championships and I've seen 3-15 (or something like that) conference records. I've been through it all. And I will always be a fan of the alma mater. And I will bitch and moan about whatever I want because of it.

Clapping at all times doesn't make you a super fan. It makes you a seal.

GO PIRATES!!!
He has 1 NCAA win, high level basketball?

Make a 2nd weekend

You conveniently are forgetting his best opportunity was wiped out by Covid

but MikeWalsh said the level he has brought us to was better and longer than PJ.

Is anyone else going to support that blasphemy?!?!? (Regardless of what Covid canceled)

I have worn the blue and white for 35+ years. I have gone to games coached by PJ, Blaney, Amaker, Orr, Gonzo and Willard. I've seen championships and I've seen 3-15 (or something like that) conference records. I've been through it all. And I will always be a fan of the alma mater. And I will bitch and moan about whatever I want because of it.

Clapping at all times doesn't make you a super fan. It makes you a seal.
dude, I was a manager senior mgr in 95-96 with Blaney.....not good. unlike my frosh and soph years with PJ with NCAA births. Cats really dont know nada

You conveniently are forgetting his best opportunity was wiped out by Covid
it will be his biggest legacy. his best ncaa appearence. the "what if 2020" run. meanwhile we were nosediving going into it with myles powell completely gassed. what if that was a first round exit? just as likely at whatever mythical final four youre crediting him with.

GO PIRATES!!!
Very well put Mike.

GO PIRATES!!!

you’re allowed to be critical of the team and coaches and still be a fan you know....

The season isn’t over. Just start and stop there.

The past week was a disaster. The team looked totally shell shocked and played like it. For a team starting 3 Seniors to play that way against the dregs of the league sucks and is bitterly disappointing. They have a week off to “find” themselves or whatever.

We haven’t really lived on the Bubble during this 6-season run. We’re there now and probably on the wrong side as of today.

Reactions: shu09
The point of this post is to support the players and the coach, no, matter how well they're doing.

You decide to hone in on the PJ vs. Willard argument, when I acknowledged that PJ was the coach to bring us to the championship game. PJ was a great coach and he brought the Hall to the NCAA's 6 times and had good success in the tourney. PJ also coached when the Big East was THE BEST basketball conference in the country - no others were even close. HS players were easier to recruit and most NJ and NY players wanted to be in the Big East. Compare the NBA success of Big East players from the PJ era to those from the Willard era - no comparison.

Willard has a better overall winning percentage than PJ (.582 vs. .561). Willard has a better Big East winning percentage (.467 to .398). Willard has taken the Pirates to the NCAA's 5 consecutive seasons vs. 4 for PJ, unless you choose to discount last season. With one season to go, Willard may end up with more wins than PJ? Don't forget that PJ padded his non conference schedules with cupcakes, Willard chooses to challenge his players with tough OOC opponents.

The argument can be made that either is the better coach.

LeftCoast - "Is anyone else going to support that blasphemy?!?!? "

LeftCoast - "how dare you disrespect what PJ accomplished!!!! "

Is PJ a God to you? LOL!!!

In your classic style you choose to zero in on one detail to discredit the point of my post. You can choose to live your life with your glass half empty, I choose to live mine with my glass half full. GO PIRATES!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: setonball46

GO PIRATES!!!
I am so pleased to hear that your daughter will get to see Sandro and Cale this season. I hope she has a blast.

So the accomplishments lose value with age?

No but it’s sad that folks don’t appreciate Willard but than try to make comparisons to PJ. Sorta a referendum on how hard it is to coach here if that’s how far back we have to go to chat about success coaching here.

The point of this post is to support the players and the coach, no, matter how well they're doing.

You decide to hone in on the PJ vs. Willard argument, when I acknowledged that PJ was the coach to bring us to the championship game. PJ was a great coach and he brought the Hall to the NCAA's 6 times and had good success in the tourney. PJ also coached when the Big East was THE BEST basketball conference in the country - no others were even close. HS players were easier to recruit and most NJ and NY players wanted to be in the Big East. Compare the NBA success of Big East players from the PJ era to those from the Willard era - no comparison.

Willard has a better overall winning percentage than PJ (.582 vs. .561). Willard has a better Big East winning percentage (.467 to .398). Willard has taken the Pirates to the NCAA's 5 consecutive seasons vs. 4 for PJ, unless you choose to discount last season. With one season to go, Willard may end up with more wins than PJ? Don't forget that PJ padded his non conference schedules with cupcakes, Willard chooses to challenge his players with tough OOC opponents.

The argument can be made that either is the better coach.

In your classic style you choose to zero in on one detail to discredit the point of my post. You can choose to live your life with your glass half empty, I choose to live mine with my glass half full. GO PIRATES!!!

you started a thread to create a RAH RAH positive outlook which is who you are and what you do.

That could have been the post without having claimed that Willard has brought us to our longest and highest level of basketball in our programs history.

it’s not a glass half empty approach. I didn’t disagree with anything else you said.

But believing Willard is or is not a good coach is a completely separate and independent thought. And I did not say he was a bad coach, so don’t call me glass half empty with words you placed in my mouth.

I am saying you are delusional for thinking the Willard accomplishments are greater than PJ. Or that you can even consider that he is a better coach than PJ.

Continue to read the thread, everyone who always slants pro Willard has mysteriously disappeared from commenting on your take. Wonder why? Because you made a look at me comment that completely is off base in the historical perspective of this program.
Period, Bottom Line, 🎤.

you started a thread to create a RAH RAH positive outlook which is who you are and what you do.

That could have been the post without having claimed that Willard has brought us to our longest and highest level of basketball in our programs history.

it’s not a glass half empty approach. I didn’t disagree with anything else you said.

But believing Willard is or is not a good coach is a completely separate and independent thought. And I did not say he was a bad coach, so don’t call me glass half empty with words you placed in my mouth.

I am saying you are delusional for thinking the Willard accomplishments are greater than PJ. Or that you can even consider that he is a better coach than PJ.

Continue to read the thread, everyone who always slants pro Willard has mysteriously disappeared from commenting on your take. Wonder why? Because you made a look at me comment that completely is off base in the historical perspective of this program.
Period, Bottom Line, 🎤.

While the original poster is over the top in claiming Wiliard is the most successful coach, anyone clamoring for Willard to be gone is 100x worse. The guy has done what it takes to have us in the dance every year, and was well positioned for a PJ like run last year. If willard is here in 15 years we'll be lucky, because it means well still be very successful.

No but it’s sad that folks don’t appreciate Willard but than try to make comparisons to PJ. Sorta a referendum on how hard it is to coach here if that’s how far back we have to go to chat about success coaching here.
While the original poster is over the top in claiming Wiliard is the most successful coach, anyone clamoring for Willard to be gone is 100x worse. The guy has done what it takes to have us in the dance every year, and was well positioned for a PJ like run last year. If willard is here in 15 years we'll be lucky, because it means well still be very successful.

Who in this particular thread said Willard should be gone? Why are the frustrations of other threads bleeding over into this one.

and that’s all I was doing, is pointing out that this particular statement of all his proclamations was just completely over the top. And as a fan base, as much as we appreciate what Willard has accomplished, we should not diminish what PJ had done in order to show that appreciation.

like I said...gotta draw the line somewhere.

Reactions: mbraue
PJ is the greatest coach SHU has had in the past 65 years. Man, that sounds astonishing to say— 65 years! Mikealsh was over the top with that one statement, but I agree with his overall sentiment.

For the sixth straight year we are playing meaningful basketball in March. We still have a shot at the NCAAs this year but it looks dim. IMO most posters recognize and credit Willard for what he has done over the past 5-6 years.

PJ is the greatest coach SHU has had in the past 65 years. Man, that sounds astonishing to say— 65 years! Mikealsh was over the top with that one statement, but I agree with his overall sentiment.

For the sixth straight year we are playing meaningful basketball in March. We still have a shot at the NCAAs this year but it looks dim. IMO most posters recognize and credit Willard for what he has done over the past 5-6 years.

With all due respect to P.J., the bar on that since Honey Russell left is pretty low. You have Kevin and Raftery and then who? Amaker? Orr?

A lot of that all because of the scandal. Amazing how that affected the history of the program.

I agree with that to a point. That scandal left us in basketball exile for most of the 1960's and affected the program for at least another decade.

That said the only coaches we had between Russell and P.J. were Richie Regan, Raftery and Hoddy Mahon for his one-season run. There was a lot of self-inflicted damage after P.J. left.

Reactions: thehall07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT