ADVERTISEMENT

In a nutschell

ONWARD AND UPWARD! Pirates are BIG EAST CHAMPIONS!​

koreichi_celly.jpg

WASHINGTON - Saturday was a day 30 years in the making as the No. 11 ranked Seton Hall men's soccer team won its first BIG EAST Tournament championship since 1991 after defeating No. 2 ranked Georgetown, 2-1, in title game Saturday at Shaw Field. Junior CJ Tibbling (Jarna, Sweden) scored the game-winning goal in the 63rd minute.

The Pirates will be headed to their first NCAA Tournament since 2005.

FULL STORY COMING SOON!

msoc_big_east_champions.jpg

WASHINGTON - Saturday was a day 30 years in the making as the No. 11 ranked Seton Hall men's soccer team won its first BIG EAST Tournament championship since 1991 after defeating No. 2 ranked Georgetown, 2-1, in title game at Shaw Field. Junior CJ Tibbling (Jarna, Sweden) scored the game-winning goal in the 63rd minute.

The Pirates, led by third-year head coach Andreas Lindberg, have earned an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament and will learn its first-round opponent Monday during the NCAA selection show at noon on NCAA.com. This will be Seton Hall's first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2005.

Turning Point
Seton Hall scored first despite Georgetown controlling most of the play of the first half, and the two teams were level going into halftime.

The match turned in Seton Hall's favor in the 63rd minute. A Georgetown throw-in towards the Hoyas offensive third was popped high in the sky by junior Luca Dahn (Kahl, Germany), headed by senior Camil Koreichi (Paris, France) at midfield and then settled onto the pitch by freshman Mattias Almeida Sundell (Sweden). Sundell dribbled forward and looked to feed Tibbling. The ball caromed off a Hoyas defender, and Tibbling capitalized, striking the ball with his right foot from about 15 yards out and beating Georgetown's keeper to his left near post. That gave the Pirates the 2-1 advantage.

Less than five minutes later, Seton Hall was called for a foul in the box, resulting in a penalty kick. Georgetown star Danta Polvara went to take it, and his attempt was saved point blank by senior keeper Andreas Nota (Rome, Italy), who lunged to his left to make the stop. The rebound caromed away, and Georgetown had another crack at it, but the Pirates' back line came up with a block while Nota was scrambling to get back into position.

Though Georgetown threatened in the final 20, but the Pirates prevailed to secure the title victory.

Goals
16' - Koreichi (1) from Tibbling & Marin - Thru ball gives Koreichi a 1v1 opportunity with the keeper, slips it past far post
34' - Riviere (1) from Rothrock & Tabora Ponce
63' - Tibbling (6) from Sundell - Sundell settles ball at the midfield, dribbles towards box, hits Tibbling with a thru ball, Tibbling buries right-footed kick past keeper's left low near post

Inside the Numbers

• Georgetown had the shots advantage, 17-9, and the shots on goal advantage, 4-3.
  • Koreichi's goal was his first of the season and first Oct. 29, 2019 vs. Army West Point.
  • Tibbling's goal was his sixth of the season and second of the BIG EAST Tournament. He leads the Pirates with six goals and 14 points this season.
  • Nota made three saves, none bigger than the penalty kick stop in the 68th minute.
  • The Pirates had six play all 90 minutes of the match.

News & Notes
  • This is Seton Hall's first BIG EAST Tournament championship since November 1991 and the fifth in program history. The Pirates also won three in a row from 1986-88.
  • Seton Hall's record on the season is now 9-1-3, and Georgetown, suffering its first loss of the season, falls to 8-1-2. This was the Hoyas' first loss to a BIG EAST opponent since Oct. 27, 2018.
  • This was just the second win over the No. 2 team in the country in Seton Hall's program history, the last coming on Dec. 1, 2001 at Virginia, which came in the NCAA Tournament second round. Overall, this is Seton Hall's third win of the season over a nationally ranked foe.
  • This was Seton Hall's first BIG EAST Tournament final since 2004 and 11th all-time appearance.
  • This was Seton Hall's first win over Georgetown in any match since Oct. 18, 2014, first win on Georgetown's home field since Sept. 27, 2006 and first win over the Hoyas in a BIG EAST Tournament match since Nov. 11, 2004 in the semifinals.
Up Next
BIG EAST champion Seton Hall will hear its name called on the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament selection show, which airs Monday at noon on NCAA.com. The first round takes place on Thursday, April 29 with the entire tournament taking place in North Carolina.

This was a really fun game to watch! I’m not Mr. Soccer — I watch the World Cup and then mostly tune it out for four years — but when Nota made the save on that PK, I was on my feet like it was Myles Powell draining a three with 20 seconds left to put us up 2. Stood the whole rest of the game. Fun stuff!

That’s a tremendous accomplishment. Georgetown is one of the top Men’s programs in the country. To get a win like that in DC is fantastic. Congrats to everyone.

How do they determine the site for BET? Is it always at Georgetown? Does the 1 seed host?

wow cant believe they won due to that crazy pk sequence. a thriller. this is really tremendous.

wonder what kind of damage they could do in the tournent. hopefully they avoid the basketball curse for those that make a run to win the BET.

wow cant believe they won due to that crazy pk sequence. a thriller. this is really tremendous.

wonder what kind of damage they could do in the tournent. hopefully they avoid the basketball curse for those that make a run to win the BET.

I admit I know next to nothing about soccer but given their record, where they're ranked and coming out of the Big East, they can certainly make a deep run to the Final Four and beyond.

Georgetown won the national championship last year. Providence made the F4 in 2014. Creighton and Georgetown in 2012. St. John's in 2001, 2003 and 2008. No reason Seton Hall can't do something similar.

I admit I know next to nothing about soccer but given their record, where they're ranked and coming out of the Big East, they can certainly make a deep run to the Final Four and beyond.

Georgetown won the national championship last year. Providence made the F4 in 2014. Creighton and Georgetown in 2012. St. John's in 2001, 2003 and 2008. No reason Seton Hall can't do something similar.
ill probably tune in if its televised. its outstanding from that team.

Wonder if Manny Schellsheidt (sp?) watched. He was the coach last time we won the BE tourney.
One of the articles stated that Lindberg invited Manny to the first game they were allowed to have limited spectators at and he attended. I would imagine he watched the game this weekend.

Now we just need to do whatever it takes to keep Lindberg here in South Orange! Might be time to spring for seat backs for everyone and possibly an actual concession stand!

Not prefect, but I attended the first game in the refurbished soccer stands and it was very enjoyable. The area was packed, mostly with students and family members. The sight lines were great. A very nice experience.

Now we have to worry about Lindberg getting poached.

The price of success.

Not prefect, but I attended the first game in the refurbished soccer stands and it was very enjoyable. The area was packed, mostly with students and family members. The sight lines were great. A very nice experience.

The price of success.
We’re in the Big East, we should be a destination, not a stepping stone! The university must do what it needs to so that Lindberg stays right here!

Reactions: silkcitypirate
UNot prefect, but I attended the first game in the refurbished soccer stands and it was very enjoyable. The area was packed, mostly with students and family members. The sight lines were great. A very nice experience.

The price of success.
And why my first post after we won was to praise the team and strongly suggest that they tear up Lindberg’s contract and give him a new one with a improved compensation package. He’s one coach you want to keep for the long haul.

We’re in the Big East, we should be a destination, not a stepping stone! The university must do what it needs to so that Lindberg stays right here!
While not bad by any means, the Big East isn't for soccer what it is for basketball. We have a destination program in Georgetown (and some other solid ones liked Marquette, Creighton, usually St. John's) but the only real destination conference (in my understanding) is the ACC (perhaps the PAC 12 too). Hopefully SHU can pay what's needed to keep him and sell him on a vision of becoming another Georgetown in the Big East.

Reactions: silkcitypirate

The price of success.

If we step up on donor day, we can help keep him!

Tell coach if he wins the natty and commits to staying here for the long haul we'll build a soccer practice facility instead!

• Love
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
While not bad by any means, the Big East isn't for soccer what it is for basketball. We have a destination program in Georgetown (and some other solid ones liked Marquette, Creighton, usually St. John's) but the only real destination conference (in my understanding) is the ACC (perhaps the PAC 12 too). Hopefully SHU can pay what's needed to keep him and sell him on a vision of becoming another Georgetown in the Big East.
I agree we are a basketball conference. But the success of our soccer teams seems to outstrip that of hoops based on what has been posted above. A kid I used to coach in rec hoops was an awesome soccer player. Lots of local guys I talked to were surprised he would go to a school like SJU to play soccer. Cause they didnt know soccer. I can tell you that if I knew GU was such a great program recently and won the NC a year ago, I forgot. It is under the radar for most of us. Now I will pay attn, like it did when Manny was coaching.

The announcers, I assume Fanta, said Manny was watching. And how about a clip of that last line from John after we won, about the ship that was out to sea coming in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting thing (I think) .... at first I thought this was a mistake, but then I realized it’s probably correct - a thing showed up on Facebook for SHU 2020 Big East championship t-shirts.

I guess they are the 2020 champions since it’s still the 2020-21 school year. The 2021 season is still to come. Go for that one as well.

Interesting thing (I think) .... at first I thought this was a mistake, but then I realized it’s probably correct - a thing showed up on Facebook for SHU 2020 Big East championship t-shirts.

I guess they are the 2020 champions since it’s still the 2020-21 school year. The 2021 season is still to come. Go for that one as well.

There was a graphic on the broadcast after the game ended stating we were the 2020 Big East champions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT