ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Article/MIT Study

shu09

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2006
Great article here about how restrictions and fear mongering really do no good. What did we do in the spring of 2020? Lock people INSIDE their homes where transmission can be rampant.

It also gave me a better understanding of masks and indoor transmission. It's now clear to me that masks give people a false sense of security and that's probably why the case number graphs are nearly identical in states that have mask mandates and those that don't. People automatically assume if you're wearing a mask that you're safe around that person. That is far from the case.

Lock people INSIDE their homes where transmission can be rampant.

No. The transmission was not because people were locked in their homes. It was because they picked it up outside their home. The virus doesn't just exist in our homes. It has to come from somewhere.

It also gave me a better understanding of masks and indoor transmission. It's now clear to me that masks give people a false sense of security and that's probably why the case number graphs are nearly identical in states that have mask mandates and those that don't. People automatically assume if you're wearing a mask that you're safe around that person. That is far from the case.

Sadly, that is true to an extent. Anyone who believes masks are for personal protection doesn't understand the purpose of masks. Masks were not intended as protection from others. They were intended as protection for others.

What they did was decrease the amount of the virus an infected person was shedding around them, and the velocity at which that would spread. That would increase the amount of time an uninfected person could be around an infected person without getting infected.

I've been saying that for months.

Reactions: HallBall02
No. The transmission was not because people were locked in their homes. It was because they picked it up outside their home. The virus doesn't just exist in our homes. It has to come from somewhere.

Sadly, that is true to an extent. Anyone who believes masks are for personal protection doesn't understand the purpose of masks. Masks were not intended as protection from others. They were intended as protection for others.

What they did was decrease the amount of the virus an infected person was shedding around them, and the velocity at which that would spread. That would increase the amount of time an uninfected person could be around an infected person without getting infected.

I've been saying that for months.
Most transmission of this virus occurs in private homes within families.

Yes, I think just like masks, a lot of people are under the false belief that they were safer in their home with a few friends or family, vs going to say a restaurant, outdoor sporting event or movies, and in most cases that is just not true.

And unfortunately, with things were closed, many people just went and congregated at other peoples privates homes, possibly making spread as much or more likely.

Reactions: shu09
Yes, I think just like masks, a lot of people are under the false belief that they were safer in their home with a few friends or family, vs going to say a restaurant, outdoor sporting event or movies, and in most cases that is just not true.

And unfortunately, with things were closed, many people just went and congregated at other peoples privates homes, possibly making spread as much or more likely.

It's just been a completely unnecessary response from the government at nearly every level from the start.

If someone in your house was infected, you would likely be infected.. but the virus didn't just spread into the house. Someone was infected from someone outside of their home that had Covid.

Reactions: SHUSA

Yes, you had a higher risk of infection if you were around others who were not isolating themselves.
Be it in your home, in a restaurant, at the movies etc...

If you took precautions to avoid infection like staying home, only seeing people indoors who were also taking precautions etc... your risk would be much lower.

Lets not make it seem like being home was the problem.

If someone in your house was infected, you would likely be infected.. but the virus didn't just spread into the house. Someone was infected from someone outside of their home that had Covid.

Cool! And then it spreads exponentially in private homes.

Yes, you had a higher risk of infection if you were around others who were not isolating themselves.
Be it in your home, in a restaurant, at the movies etc...

If you took precautions to avoid infection like staying home, only seeing people indoors who were also taking precautions etc... your risk would be much lower.

Lets not make it seem like being home was the problem.
No I wasn't implying that staying home was causing the spread, it is about taking precautions as you said, unfortunately in the end only you could protect yourself, most things government imposed in the end really did not protect us because even with any shutdowns, many people still had to go to work, plus really no stopping people from gathering privately.

But the problem is things put out by the media and often moves made by the government, made people definitely believe they were safer having their 3 friends come over to a private home vs going out with those same 3 friends at a restaurant. It is pretty clear the main risk at a restuarant is from people at your own table, not other tables or staff.

Was it better 4 teenagers had to watch movie at someone house vs going to a movie theater that was socially distanced and masks required. Risk probably worse at home with no masks, but since theaters closed that was the only options.

Don't get me wrong, I have been very cautious, limited who I see at my home, others homes or even outside as I understand the risk , I have chosen when to eat out and when not too (and have eaten out very few times), didn't need Murphy arbitrarily deciding on limits inside for me to decide on these things.

Was it safer for people to go shop at Bed Bath and Beyond, then congregating in church wearing a mask and being socially distanced?

Do we close a Walmart for two weeks when one employee tests positive? NO. But then why do schools often close with one positive case or NJ DMV for two weeks with one positive case?

Whether on purpose or not, I feel the message from the government and media has been arbitrary and not usually based in science or logical thought. And I am not talking about last March when much was unknown and hospitals were on the brink, a lot was learned months and months ago.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and shu09
There is no such thing as private home transmission. I haven't left my home since March 16, 2020. I haven't caught the virus.

Good! Hopefully you stay in your home forever then and won't be a bother to anyone else.

Since you have a lot of time on your hands, here's some reading from the CDC. First line: Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 occurs within households

Sure, just so we are clear though... That doesn't result in less infection.

That's not my concern. My concern is an intrusive government and allowing people to live their lives as they see fit.

Good! Hopefully you stay in your home forever then and won't be a bother to anyone else.

Since you have a lot of time on your hands, here's some reading from the CDC. First line: Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 occurs within households

Ok, I read the first line and all the lines that followed. The study examines household transmission after an "index patient" has already shown symptoms or tested positive. Was the index patient a victim of spontaneous generation?

Let’s face it, there was a lot of bad decisions and advice given by politicians, some because we had limited information and some because of shear stupidity and politics. Many of which they still won’t admit they were flat out wrong.

Yea so we should all be like 93 right?

I stand by my prior comments. Hail Kamala

people were going to get the virus in their household regardless of quarantine orders. its basically unavoidable. people go back to their houses at some point every day. what quarantine did do was prevent it from spreading it to OTHER peoples homes that normally would have picked it up from outside interraction.

its painfully simple and to argue it in any way is moronic.

The messaging and advice was terrible. Everything revolves around the mask, but as we now now and we have the data to prove it,.

Eat healthy, lose weight if you were obese, get fresh air and sunshine, get rest. Common sense and social distancing whether in public or at home. The average American gained 8 to 10 pounds last year and now we are in unhealthier population because of the poor messaging. some of the rules imposed by our government officials were absolutely moronic and counter productive.

Barely have those good health points gotten any mention by our government officials and the clown Fauci. Mask, mask, mask.

The messaging and advice was terrible. Everything revolves around the mask, but as we now now and we have the data to prove it,.

Eat healthy, lose weight if you were obese, get fresh air and sunshine, get rest. Common sense and social distancing whether in public or at home. The average American gained 8 to 10 pounds last year and now we are in unhealthier population because of the poor messaging. some of the rules imposed by our government officials were absolutely moronic and counter productive.

Barely have those good health points gotten any mention by our government officials and the clown Fauci. Mask, mask, mask.

FDS. Name one took we had to mitigate the risk of spreading the virus outside of physical distance.

That is why we focused on masks... Masks weren't perfect and not close to 100% effective, but they were all we had to help mitigate the risk that we could spread the virus to someone else.

There is no such thing as private home transmission. I haven't left my home since March 16, 2020. I haven't caught the virus.

I have had a similar experience. Similar to yourself, I haven't left my house since March 15, 2020. I will not be leaving my house any time soon because per the ny times covid tracker my county is still at an extremely high rate of covid transmission. I will also not be getting the vaccine for personal reasons. I will continue to rightly shelter in place.

FDS. Name one took we had to mitigate the risk of spreading the virus outside of physical distance.

That is why we focused on masks... Masks weren't perfect and not close to 100% effective, but they were all we had to help mitigate the risk that we could spread the virus to someone else.
We can’t do more than one thing at a time for over a year??

We can’t do more than one thing at a time for over a year??

Sure, could always have done more... but these conversations were always about mitigating the spread... what could we do to live as normal as possible while and take proactive measures to mitigate the risk of spreading the virus to others. Again, in the context of that discussion... a mask was all we had.
now we have a vaccine which is a much more effective tool.

I’ve seen Fauci talk about the best way to boost your immune system being a healthy diet, adding vitamin D, getting enough sleep and exercising.

But of course none of those things come up in a discussion about the spread of the virus specifically, because none of them impact the spread of the virus.

Sure, could always have done more... but these conversations were always about mitigating the spread... what could we do to live as normal as possible while and take proactive measures to mitigate the risk of spreading the virus to others. Again, in the context of that discussion... a mask was all we had.
now we have a vaccine which is a much more effective tool.

I’ve seen Fauci talk about the best way to boost your immune system being a healthy diet, adding vitamin D, getting enough sleep and exercising.

But of course none of those things come up in a discussion about the spread of the virus specifically, because none of them impact the spread of the virus.
Whose conversations? Your conversations?

Sure, preventing the spread was critical but the conversations were about avoiding getting severely sick, hospitalized or dying. Very little guidance if any, on the points mentioned above. Virtually no press on the detailed statistics we have on who has been hospitalized and/or passed and making changes if you can.

America, get your free experimental vaccine and get your free junk food too! Free donuts every day at Krispy Kreme! Free dessert at White Castle! Free cheesecake, beer and hot dogs!

What a joke. No wonder over a third of the country is obese and at risk from coronavirus complications.

Reactions: HallB and Hallsome
I have had a similar experience. Similar to yourself, I haven't left my house since March 15, 2020. I will not be leaving my house any time soon because per the ny times covid tracker my county is still at an extremely high rate of covid transmission. I will also not be getting the vaccine for personal reasons. I will continue to rightly shelter in place.
Since you are such a science guy and always insist on others siting their sources, where is your scientific evidence that what you are doing by refusing to come out of hibernation is healthy?

America, get your free experimental vaccine and get your free junk food too! Free donuts every day at Krispy Kreme! Free dessert at White Castle! Free cheesecake, beer and hot dogs!

What a joke. No wonder over a third of the country is obese and at risk from coronavirus complications.

Lol....that’s the spirit!! Get vaccinated and gain another ten pounds. You’ll be first on line for a hospital bed when the next pandemic hits!! But make sure you wear a mask. (Disclaimer: group protests, riots or looting do not apply.)

Since you are such a science guy and always insist on others siting their sources, where is your scientific evidence that what you are doing by refusing to come out of hibernation is healthy?

I stated this before. I have people that live in my house that are very immunocompromised and get sick very easily. And if they do get sick, it can possibly be life threatening I don't take the risk of going outside of my house because of this. Do I need to explain anything else to you @SPK145 ?

I stated this before. I have people that live in my house that are very immunocompromised and get sick very easily. And if they do get sick, it can possibly be life threatening I don't take the risk of going outside of my house because of this. Do I need to explain anything else to you @SPK145 ?
So you won't site any scientific sources why what you are doing is healthy yet always want others to site their sources? That's known as a phony.

So you won't site any scientific sources why what you are doing is healthy yet always want others to site their sources? That's known as a phony.

I don't need to answer to you. I get my advice from my primary doctor. My primary doctor approves what I am doing based on my diet and my exercise that I do from home every day. I am actually in better shape now than before the pandemic.

I don't need to answer to you. I get my advice from my primary doctor. My primary doctor approves what I am doing based on my diet and my exercise that I do from home every day. I am actually in better shape now than before the pandemic.
Site your sources.

Could the end be near?

I predict he'll announce all business restrictions will be phased out by May 21 with the exception of the indoor mask mandate. Remember, he's a politician who wants to get re-elected and he needs a big summer at the shore for that to happen.

Could the end be near?

I predict he'll announce all business restrictions will be phased out by May 21 with the exception of the indoor mask mandate. Remember, he's a politician who wants to get re-elected and he needs a big summer at the shore for that to happen.
Yes, would expect most restrictions to be lifted / severely reduced right before Memorial Day, indoor mask mandates will have to stay in place for now.

Next will be interesting when and how private companies start to begin bringing employees back into offices. I think that will be slow/partial process with many starting over the summer, with more in office transisition happening in fall.

Could the end be near?

I predict he'll announce all business restrictions will be phased out by May 21 with the exception of the indoor mask mandate. Remember, he's a politician who wants to get re-elected and he needs a big summer at the shore for that to happen

Could the end be near?

When will mask mandates be removed? Never?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT