ADVERTISEMENT

It's Mullin

I think it's awful. How does anyone know whether the guy can coach? Plus, the cupboard is absolutely bare as Jordan has indicated he is leaving. Seems odd to me.

Some Johnnies do not yet bank on it. Wild rumor:
''There are more rumors that Calipari will be out and Slice joining Mullin. Briscoe to follow? ''

Redmen.com

Originally posted by Old_alum:

''There are more rumors that Calipari will be out and Slice joining Mullin. Briscoe to follow? ''
Linking from one message board story/ rumor to another is the equivalent of playing "Operator" back in the day. It's funny how caught up we get in our alma maters. Not knocking you old_alum, always interesting to see what other fans are posting, and appreciate your links, and honestly I'd never bother to find the SJU board if you hadn't linked it.

Big gamble hiring a guy that has never coached.

I don't quite understand the reasoning behind firing Lavin to bring in Mullin.

This post was edited on 3/29 5:40 PM by RU82

Originally posted by phi_pirates:

Originally posted by Old_alum:

Linking from one message board story/ rumor to another is the equivalent of playing "Operator" back in the day. It's funny how caught up we get in our alma maters. Not knocking you old_alum, always interesting to see what other fans are posting, and appreciate your links, and honestly I'd never bother to find the SJU board if you hadn't linked it.
I agree re the alma mater stuff. Put it this way: Would Seton Hall fans be happy if the school fired Willard and hired Pirates royalty Terry Dehere?

Okay, bad example.

He may be great, terrible or mediocre but who knows? He had better hire a great recruiting assistant

Too much of a romantic hire for me. I didnt like the EJ hiring, but at least he has legit head coaching experience. Same would go for Adrian Griffin if he was ever a candidate here. He will need to get slice in there asap. I just dont know if the name "chris Mullin" has enough juice with a 17 year old kid. I know he would with the 50 year old SJU Alum....

This is a good thing for SHU whenever we open up our coaching search. St John's program continues to live in its past.

Huge gamble for SJU. Because of the respect that the SJU fans have for Mullin he will have a longer honeymoon period than any other coach they could have hired but in the end he still will have to win and get SJU in the tourney. I strongly believe that one of the unspoken and biggest risks SJU faces with this hire is that he doesn't like coaching and/or recruiting and quits after two or three years and they have to start over again.

Originally posted by hallgrad80:
Huge gamble for SJU. Because of the respect that the SJU fans have for Mullin he will have a longer honeymoon period than any other coach they could have hired but in the end he still will have to win and get SJU in the tourney. I strongly believe that one of the unspoken and biggest risks SJU faces with this hire is that he doesn't like coaching and/or recruiting and quits after two or three years and they have to start over again.
That's what happened with Clyde Drexler at Houston. Two years and he'd had enough.

This is a better hire than Eddie Jordan. No one knows how Mullin will be, Jordan was proven terrible.

Due to facilities and commitment Mullen might turn out to better than Jordan, but how can you say he is a better coach. Mullen has NEVER coached a game before. At least Jordan was an NBA head coach and did spend some years as an NBA assistant.

Mullen has been a successful NBA executive. Can he coach? Who knows. But it was already plain to see that Jordan was an awful coach. He was a terrible NBA coach who never had to recruit. Mullen is a gamble. Jordan was pretty much a loser's bet.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hard to predict whether Mullin will be successful or not. I don't see the comparison to Jordan as being valid. Like saying to avoid anyone on Pitino's current staff against KW.

Risky choice for SJU because there is no HC experience on the resume, but he has a bunch of support and I'm guessing they have a good sense of his leadership qualities. SJU has made some very poor HC choices (almost as many as SHU) when you look back at Brian Mahoney, Mike Jarvis and Norm Roberts...did they get this one right? Will we???

This was a done della for a long time. A source of mine gave this o me 2 months ago and I di post it on this board back then. If I knew how to research old posts I would o back and find it. It want a guess or wishful thinking. It was fact., and do Ou really believe they hit this done in TE last several days??? Hardly...

Originally posted by PirateSal:
This was a done della for a long time. A source of mine gave this o me 2 months ago and I di post it on this board back then. If I knew how to research old posts I would o back and find it. It want a guess or wishful thinking. It was fact., and do Ou really believe they hit this done in TE last several days??? Hardly...
Yup, hires don't get done this quick unless a plan is already in place. Dan also nailed this info months ago. Nice job by you guys.

Chris Mullin still spends 3-4 hours a day practicing in the gym. While there is some risk because he has never coached, it's not as great as some make it out. The guy sleeps basketball and has probably has forgotten more than most know. He was very successful despite being a marginal athlete because of his hard work. I'm also hearing some amazing staff rumors. Apparently one or two assistants already on board so this was in the works. Names like Rohrssen, Book Richardson, Abdelmessih amongst others. I was skeptical too, but he has instant credibility, great basketball acumen, and tireless work ethic. I applaud SJU for not settling for mediocrity, a move that SJU would never have done under Father Harrington.

go back and read newspaper articles when jarvis was hired had a lot of juice and buzz; coached fran's group to within one possession without a bad dribble to a final four, won a big east tourney the following year, brought in omar cook that team was up and down then had hatten nit and all over, jarvis had more success at stj then gonzo and willard combined with shu and just ended in a total blow up dismal way

Great move. Brings back the head coach into the lineage of Carnesecca and Lapchick, a righting of the ship. Oh, and besides, he was an All-America player who harkens fans back to the glory days of the Big East. If Kevin Willard is a great X and O guy, then what would one consider Mullin? He knows the game. Recruiting? Well, he'll do a little OJT with some high priced assistants. And if recruits don't know who he is, then ask them to use their smartphone and figure it out. If he can connect with the recruits and players, motivate them and manage the team, I don't see why St John's can't get back to be being a great program again. If he wins games, then our questions will be answered if this was a risky move or not. But the positive press alone will create a buzz around the program for some time. Every little bit helps. This is great for St John's and the Big East.

It's not a great move. I am 36 and I don't remember Chris Mullin at St. John's. What does Chris Mulkin mean to a 18 year old? He retired in 2001. A lot of kids he has to recruit were born that year. It will make lots of older alumni happy. No experience coaching or recruiting. Yikes.

I saw an interview with Bobby Hurley where he said he had to bring in tapes of his days at Duke to show his players at Buffalo that he was a point guard. They had no clue.

Originally posted by NYShoreGuy:
go back and read newspaper articles when jarvis was hired had a lot of juice and buzz; coached fran's group to within one possession without a bad dribble to a final four, won a big east tourney the following year, brought in omar cook that team was up and down then had hatten nit and all over, jarvis had more success at stj then gonzo and willard combined with shu and just ended in a total blow up dismal way
There was a lot of buzz when Jarvis was hired and they had early success, but the reality is that the teamgot worse each and every year while he was there. Combine that with his arrogance with recruiting and alumni and the off the court issues (Kieta being paid, the sexual attack and pot smoking; his tenure was very "Gonzo-esque". Interesting parallel that SJU also next went with a guy in Roberts to "clean up" the program, although I don't remember Norm using that excuse while he was there.....

02, if he's got the skill and personality, he will do fine. We won't know for some time if it was the right move, obviously, so it is all conjecture now. I respect your opinion. If he does well then I guess it's beginner's luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT