ADVERTISEMENT

Jahari Long

JTSHU

All American
Feb 9, 2015
With Conway next year, younger Harris 22 and article said Willard looking to add a pg this year. I assume grad transfer or experienced transfer

Last edited by a moderator:
Jahari Long is certainly not on the back burner. He will get his opportunity to earn PT and the coaches still think highly of him.

You can just chalk last year up that he was a freshman in a pandemic without much prep/weight room/ spring or summer ball, etc.

He showed flashed in last few games.

Also Jamir Harris will be a converted SG most likely for only one year, Conway will be a freshman without much of a senior HS senior (also more of a shoot first guard). If Reynolds doesn’t come back, he will have a lot of chances to earn lots of PT and a possible a starting role.

The only players that might be guaranteed to get 30 plus minutes at this point is Rhoden (he plays the 3 and sometimes 4) and Harris who is combo 1-2. Opportunity for Long is there.

Long is still on front burner and glad to have him.

Last edited:
Jamir Harris isn't coming here to not get a lot of minutes and you have to tread carefully with him so as not to upset the family.
I'd expect him at the 2. We have no other real shooters right now. There's a lot of people expecting Weston to come in and start at the 2. Even Myles Powell struggled as a freshman so I'm not buying it, but I'd love to be wrong. As of now I expect us to rely on Harris at the 2 where he sees some minutes at the point.

I doubt that will be an issue. This team needs shooters pure and simple. Now we have two in the backcourt in Conway and Harris. They'll get their minutes. There are 80 for 3 and probably 4 players. Meaning the breakdown will be, sans injuries, between 15-30 MPG each depending on production. And with less minutes played you get a stronger effort on the other side of the court.

If the plan really is to play Harris primarily at the point, then I think it's much more likely that the comment about looking to add a pure pg (who said it? Zags?) was wrong. Harris brings some needed experience to the position this year, but the staff certainly knows it needs to have someone ready to step in next year in the event he doesn't return, so I think you'll see both Long and Conway getting plenty of opportunity there was well with Harris playing off the ball.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Jamir Harris isn't coming here to not get a lot of minutes and you have to tread carefully with him so as not to upset the family.
Its certainly clear that Jamir Harris will get his minutes next year. No doubt there.

The great thing about position-less basketball, especially with a 6 foot 6 PG and 6-2 combo guard that played mostly SG his career, Is that they can play at the same time with other guards on the court with Long playing off the ball sometimes and Harris playing off the ball sometimes when we need to set him up for shots and conserve his energy.

At the end of the day it’s certainly possible that they both Harris and Long, or Harris and Conway earn quality minutes (with Harris predictably getting more).

At this point we likely don’t have a PG or a SG returning. Minutes are there to be earned by Conway and Long.

Re: Jahari Long...despite his struggles on the court last year, I saw brief moments in him that displayed an uber-competitiveness that I hope translates into a huge offseason for him. He had hustle, and whenever he made a bad play, he never hung his head, but instead the opposite - seemed resolute to try harder and play better. It is that type of attitude that helps a player get better and up his game. Now, the question begs whether he has the innate ability to compete consistently on this level. Next year will tell us a lot on whether he does or not because I believe he will hit the gym hard this offseason.

The great thing about position-less basketball, especially with a 6 foot 6 PG and 6-2 combo guard that played mostly SG his career, Is that they can play at the same time with other guards on the court with Long playing off the ball sometimes and Harris playing off the ball sometimes when we need to set him up for shots and conserve his energy.

There is no 6-6 PG.

More like 6-4. Not exaclty a PG either.
He is listed at 6-5 and when pictured next to Cale and Molson, they are eye to eye.

Eitherway, Long is more of a traditional pass first player than Conway or Harrris. Long even played more point than Jamir in HS and more PG than Jamir in his first 2 years of college Bball as well.

Long is a tall 6-5ish pass first guard that has 4 years of eligibility left who could be a PG starter in the Big East at some point with lots of hard work (does that work for you Spk?)

Last edited:
How does anyone really know what Jahari Long is? The kid just played 126 total minutes in 19 games. Prior to the 15 minutes against SJU at the BET, he played less than that amount in total for about the month prior. We just have no idea. That’s not a knock on him, we just don’t know.

No idea if he’s pass-first, if he’s a PG, what he may or may not be at this stage. Maybe he’s the next Donald Copeland or Ish Sanogo. Maybe he’s the next Freddie Wilson or Anthony Nelson. Who knows? He just needs to work hard and see what it looks like in the Fall. Zero expectations. Hoping for the best.

Kind of a moot point, though, I think. There's no way a kid who shoots like Jamir is not going to play a ton of minutes on this team next season. He would've played 35+ this year!
Agreed he will likely see a ton of minutes. However there's 2 or 3 scholarships to give out and if there's another shooter out there it could provide competition. Jamir is going to be an interesting case. There's also a lot of guys who shoot really well in lower conferences and you see them come to the big east and their 3 point shot goes down 5-10%. Playing time will work itself out.

Reactions: mbraue
He is a pass first guy. If you look at his game tape in high school, that is how he plays

Whether you consider him a PG or not may be up for debate but not that he likes to pass it more than shoot, I think that ingrained more in his DNA and won’t change much. He is ying to the yang of a Conway/Harris who are shorter shooters (vs taller passer).

Pass first guys are great running an offense as long as you can score when you are needed and when open.

How does anyone really know what Jahari Long is? The kid just played 126 total minutes in 19 games. Prior to the 15 minutes against SJU at the BET, he played less than that amount in total for about the month prior. We just have no idea. That’s not a knock on him, we just don’t know.

No idea if he’s pass-first, if he’s a PG, what he may or may not be at this stage. Maybe he’s the next Donald Copeland or Ish Sanogo. Maybe he’s the next Freddie Wilson or Anthony Nelson. Who knows? He just needs to work hard and see what it looks like in the Fall. Zero expectations. Hoping for the best.

Reactions: mbraue
No he won't. Unless he reclasses to 2021, first time he can do so is in Nov, just when older brother is starting his Pirate career.
My bad for some reason I thought ESP was in August. Either way, there wont' be much data for Jaquan to know if Jamir is playing a ton of PG or not when he signs his NLI

Agreed he will likely see a ton of minutes. However there's 2 or 3 scholarships to give out and if there's another shooter out there it could provide competition. Jamir is going to be an interesting case. There's also a lot of guys who shoot really well in lower conferences and you see them come to the big east and their 3 point shot goes down 5-10%. Playing time will work itself out.
Given the style of offensive play we've seen, I think there is plenty of room for more than one guy who can fill it up from deep. I do expect Jamir's percentage to dip a bit coming from the Patriot, but not much. He appears to be legit.

The older Harris is going to come here and be one our top 3 players next year. He will be our best pure shooter and one of our hardest workers in the gym. I see him taking on the leadership role that we surly lacked this year. If Long plays more than 10 minutes a game next year we are in for a long season. I don't see the brilliance in him that some of you see.

Given the style of offensive play we've seen, I think there is plenty of room for more than one guy who can fill it up from deep. I do expect Jamir's percentage to dip a bit coming from the Patriot, but not much. He appears to be legit.
I think having played at Minnesota will have him prepared more than the average player coming from the Patriot to the Big East. Just a guess on my part Willard's going to look to develop the 2 young PGs. So while I agree there's plenty of room for more than Jamir to fill it up from deep, I'm really hoping the other guys filling it up from deep are Rhoden and Samuel. By year end I'm hoping Powell and Weston are reliabe off the bench guys.

Reactions: SHUSource
I think having played at Minnesota will have him prepared more than the average player coming from the Patriot to the Big East. Just a guess on my part Willard's going to look to develop the 2 young PGs. So while I agree there's plenty of room for more than Jamir to fill it up from deep, I'm really hoping the other guys filling it up from deep are Rhoden and Samuel. By year end I'm hoping Powell and Weston are reliabe off the bench guys.

Personally I’d like to see Rhoden play more the way he did at the BET and during 2019-20. That means closer to the basket and driving as opposed to cutting at the top of the key and kicking out to the perimeter. Basically a stretch-4. Samuel backs him up.

I don’t know how good Weston/Powell are or if they’re ready to share the 3 as freshman.

Funny thing is even if you cut 5% off Harris percentage from three, he would still be the best 3pt shooter on the team easily. If you reduce it by 10, only Cale and Reynolds would have shot it better.

Personally I’d like to see Rhoden play more the way he did at the BET and during 2019-20. That means closer to the basket and driving as opposed to cutting at the top of the key and kicking out to the perimeter. Basically a stretch-4. Samuel backs him up.

I don’t know how good Weston/Powell are or if they’re ready to share the 3 as freshman.
I'd like to see Rhoden drive to the basket. However the driving lanes get clogged up easily when defenses can sag because they don't respect you behind the 3 point line or they only respect one guy.

Rhoden was able to share the 3 with Cale as a freshman, these young men wil need to find a way to do the same. I'm very high on the whole front court if they get a whole offseason of working with the staff. I think Ike will surprise with a little bit of offense. I think they're going to get Samuel to be more physical inside. And Rhoden will be a beast next year. Ngandu and Jackson are wildcards. Shooters are my biggest concern.

Both brothers have multiple offers from programs in the top 6 basketball conferences and how many minutes they see I’m sure was part of the discussion with the staff before they committed and if the answers were not to their liking I doubt they would have committed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT