ADVERTISEMENT

Jahari Long

Lets enjoy the two commits yesterday and not look for problems.

I think it was SHU Source who put this quote from George Bernard Shaw on the board once before...

"Pins and needles, needles and pins. Its a happy man that grins."
See o thought that quote was from that other great philosopher Ralph Kramden

The whole Myles Powell didn’t start his freshman year is because he was on a really good team. This team is much weaker and I would expect Weston to start
I agree.

Hey jdavis what do you think is going on with Molson?

The whole Myles Powell didn’t start his freshman year is because he was on a really good team. This team is much weaker and I would expect Weston to start
Myles also had some really bad slumps as a freshman. To expect any of these guys to come in and play like they are part of the Fab 5 is over the top. My expectations are always low with freshmen. If they prove me wrong great. Take a guy like Duval who by all accounts was going to be a huge get and a sure thing to represent Seton Hall in the NBA. Then reality set in NBA GMs don't care what you were rated if you struggle with basic basketball skills like shooting the ball. Sometime athleticism gets overrated and basic skills are undervalued. Also some guys adjust to this level better than others. Maybe Weston will adjust easily, maybe he won't but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Reactions: mbraue and Piratz
Brilliant and sensitive title to this post. Wow. Let's throw Jahari to the curb? I love it when people say I am on the back burner.

Just enjoy the new recruits and wish our existing kids all the best and hope they continue to improve and develop. Jahari will have a full off season to work on his game and improve and I am looking forward to seeing him make a big jump between freshman and sophomore year. Go Jahari!

Agreed. Can someone change the title of this thread....?

Brilliant and sensitive title to this post. Wow. Let's throw Jahari to the curb? I love it when people say I am on the back burner.

Just enjoy the new recruits and wish our existing kids all the best and hope they continue to improve and develop. Jahari will have a full off season to work on his game and improve and I am looking forward to seeing him make a big jump between freshman and sophomore year. Go Jahari!

It makes it difficult not to root for Jahari.

Myles also had some really bad slumps as a freshman. To expect any of these guys to come in and play like they are part of the Fab 5 is over the top. My expectations are always low with freshmen. If they prove me wrong great. Take a guy like Duval who by all accounts was going to be a huge get and a sure thing to represent Seton Hall in the NBA. Then reality set in NBA GMs don't care what you were rated if you struggle with basic basketball skills like shooting the ball. Sometime athleticism gets overrated and basic skills are undervalued. Also some guys adjust to this level better than others. Maybe Weston will adjust easily, maybe he won't but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
Duval wasn’t dominate at Duke. Just a reminder for all about how playing a lot as a frosh is not that common and consistently playing well is rare. Many of our posters forget that among other things

im rooting for jahari. if he sticks it will be due to his hard work on his own accord. hes the only shu player from texas ive ever known. there are easier routes: permanent bench player, transfer, etc but it would be very telling if he steps up and keeps competing for his role.

I would not count the guy out. One thing he did show at MSG was that he wasn't intimidated or scared to be out there. He was aggressive taking the ball to the rim and did not hesitate to take open shots. After taking some time off from hoops he can get back to work on his game. Year one was a learning experience for him. If he can improve his quickness through conditioning he'll have a chance to contribute moving forward.

I would not count the guy out. One thing he did show at MSG was that he wasn't intimidated or scared to be out there. He was aggressive taking the ball to the rim and did not hesitate to take open shots. After taking some time off from hoops he can get back to work on his game. Year one was a learning experience for him. If he can improve his quickness through conditioning he'll have a chance to contribute moving forward.
Agree

Personally I’d like to see Rhoden play more the way he did at the BET and during 2019-20. That means closer to the basket and driving as opposed to cutting at the top of the key and kicking out to the perimeter. Basically a stretch-4. Samuel backs him up.

I don’t know how good Weston/Powell are or if they’re ready to share the 3 as freshman.
If Rhoden is our 4 we are in for trouble and not fair to him. Let him be the 3 as he should and have good senior year. Samuel should be the 4. We still need probably 2 post players for next year. If need additional pg depth then bring back Shavar (doesn’t count against the scholarship cap of 13 and is better than Long)

Reactions: mbraue
Jeez so sensitive. It was just a question considering w the brothers and conway on roster and willard saying hes lookimg for another pg. Why so many pg if jahari is solid

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
1- its public board - players and families see these messages so posters are trying to be sensitive to that and when posters ignore that it hurts all of us in the seton hall family and especially the players. Especially with demeaning thread titles.

2- we are coming out of year where we had arguably NO healthy experienced PGs or SGs available, no alpha guards to depend on, we learned our lesson. We started and played a former walk on shooting guard at PG and played two players at SG that might have been better at SF. We would rather have a bunch of players compete and have backups in case injury, poor performance, other (covid) etc. Would you rather have a huge drop in talent on the bench? Good teams have solid back ups, they may not get in the rotation right away but helps the team in practice. Not saying Long is that but someone will be and it’s it ok, if
Reynolds could avg 30 plus minutes and start, Long can certainly do same still at the Hall.

3- besides Long (and not even Long because Spk doesn’t think he is a PG) the other 2 guys are more combo guards than PGs anyway. They are coming in as shoot first players. It’s not like these guards bring the same things to the table (well maybe Conway and Harris do but one is probably playing his last year and the other will be a freshman).

4- we don’t have any likely returning SGs, making 40 more available minutes for each of these 3 guards for more PT at SG. Earning minutes won’t be a problem with hard work. If Long wants more minutes he will have the opportunity to earn it.

Jeez so sensitive. It was just a question considering w the brothers and conway on roster and willard saying hes lookimg for another pg. Why so many pg if jahari is solid

Last edited:

If I recall correctly, MP was struggling mightily from 3 near the end of his freshman season (2016-17). A major slump. Then he hit one of the biggest shots of the season, a late 3 at Butler to essentially seal our NCAA bid.

ONIONS!

If I recall correctly, MP was struggling mightily from 3 near the end of his freshman season (2016-17). A major slump. Then he hit one of the biggest shots of the season, a late 3 at Butler to essentially seal our NCAA bid.

ONIONS!

I think he shot it pretty well at MSG the next week, too.

Reactions: Piratz

ONIONS!
Oh yes. We can all go read the old posts of people calling for MP to stop shooting. Yes it really happened. The main point is give these young guys a chance. Maybe they pan out. Maybe they don't, but give them a chance.

ONIONS!
Final five games freshman season he was 8-35 from 3.

Final five games freshman season he was 8-35 from 3.
There are a lot of examples of really good freshmen who struggle. I don't expect any of these guys to come in and have a better freshman year than Powell. Powell was awesome at Iowa and had some good showings early on. Big east coaches have more time to scout them and better athletes to defend them than what they see in high school. It's a huge adjustment. Hopefully these guys have a better freshman year than Powell, but I'm hoping the veterans are prepared if they don't.

Insurance. Jahari has yet to prove that he'll be solid. I hope he does. No depth at PG is what killed us this past season.

I'm a Jahari fan. Hope he continues to develop and is not discouraged from staying for four years.

He is listed at 6-5 and when pictured next to Cale and Molson, they are eye to eye.

Eitherway, Long is more of a traditional pass first player than Conway or Harrris. Long even played more point than Jamir in HS and more PG than Jamir in his first 2 years of college Bball as well.

Long is a tall 6-5ish pass first guard that has 4 years of eligibility left who could be a PG starter in the Big East at some point with lots of hard work (does that work for you Spk?)
If he's going to play in BE he's going to need to work m his quickness. He appeared very slow.

Funny how the consensus on this board a week ago was that we needed to upgrade our back court situation & now the concern is about PT.
And that comes with one commitment and 2 transfers out.

not really something you can change too too much.
There are both ways to increase quickness (lose weight, quick twitch drills, specific high rep exercises, etc) and to use your gracefullness-slowness to your advantage. (Lul defenders to sleep, change of pace, less turnovers, body positioning etc).

Don’t worry about Long. He knows he isn’t an already made final product and will continues to work to improve himself.

There are both ways to increase quickness (lose weight, quick twitch drills, specific high rep exercises, etc) and to use your gracefullness-slowness to your advantage. (Lul defenders to sleep, change of pace, less turnovers, body positioning etc).

Don’t worry about Long. He knows he isn’t an already made final product and will continues to work to improve himself.
i am worried a bit about long because hes slow. and you those techniques dont really improve the amount that he needs in terms of quickness.

id rather him figure out how to be successful with his body. wide PGs exist and they figure out how to use their body to be effective.

Duval wasn’t dominate at Duke. Just a reminder for all about how playing a lot as a frosh is not that common and consistently playing well is rare. Many of our posters forget that among other things
Where is he now? NBA or G league?

Where is he now? NBA or G league?

but on the team we were adding him to, we didn’t need him to be dominant.

he had 10 ppg and 5.6 apg in the ACC.

Also had 20 points and 6 assists in their elite 8 loss to Kansas.

the narrative hasn’t changed in 10 years. We needed a legit PG to make the other players on the floor better.

Last edited:
but on the team we were adding him to, we didn’t need him to be dominant.

he had 10 ppg and 5.6 apg in the ACC.

Also had 20 points and 6 assists in their elite 8 loss to Kansas.

the narrative hasn’t changed in 10 years. We needed a legit PG to make the other players on the floor better.
That was Khadeen sr yr? If yea of course we could’ve used him! I didn’t suggest otherwise.

Too bad it didn’t work out with SH and Duval

My only point was not every top recruit dominates fresh year. Duval didn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT