ADVERTISEMENT

Jamir Harris: 'There's no place like home'

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By JP Pelzman

In the final six games last season, Seton Hall didn’t shoot above 32% from beyond the arc. That deficiency certainly was communicated when the coaching staff was recruiting American guard Jamir Harris from the transfer portal last spring.

"They definitely made me aware of how much they needed shooting,” Harris said, recalling the process after he announced his intentions to leave the Patriot League university, at which he had spent the last three years, including a sit-out season.

Kevin Willard and the Seton Hall coaches, Harris said, told him his skill set was “Something that they needed. … There was no one like me there. If I came in, I would have a major role doing what I do best.”

Thus, the North Brunswick native committed to Seton Hall for his senior season. And although he hasn’t played a game yet, he hasn’t regretted that choice.

"During the summer workouts,” Harris told PirateCrew in an exclusive interview, “Coach Willard gave me the utmost confidence going out there, being myself, shooting the ball. He gave me the utmost confidence to do what I do best. He feels in order for us to play at a high level, that’s what they’re going to need from me.”

That wasn’t the only reason he came to South Orange.

“I'm really glad to be back home, playing in my home state,” he said. “The staff, my teammates, everything is what I expected it to be. I'm having a lot of fun with the guys. The chemistry is great. The coaching staff is very involved and doing their best to help me become a better player.“

The opportunity to come home and play in a big-time basketball conference, the Big East,” he added, “I couldn’t pass that up.”

Harris continued, “The basketball fit was what was most important, first and foremost, but the fact that I get to come home and play in front of my friends and family, that ultimately was the deciding factor on top of the basketball fit being right.”

But again, the Pirates’ coaching staff was upfront to Harris about the glaring need from last year’s squad, which shot 32.1% from long distance for the season.

“They made that known to me,” he says. “I thought it was very genuine and now I'm seeing that it was true. I trust them and I trust their plan for me.”

In three collegiate seasons, Harris has shot 39.6% from three-point range. He was a 34.6% shooter in limited time at Minnesota as a freshman before transferring to American. Amazingly, he was a sizzling 43.8% for American in only 10 games last season. The Patriot League canceled the non-conference for its members because of COVID and the Eagles, like many teams, had a stop-start conference slate.

Harris said he accomplished that percentage by working overtime in the gym on his own, shooting.“I felt like I was starting to get into a rhythm” despite the interruptions, he says. “It was imperative for me to get into the gym more than ever. I still shot the ball at a good percentage last year. I attribute that to countless hours in the gym.”

Turn on the tape--OK, YouTube highlights--of some of Harris’ games at American and you will discover one of the most impressive attributes of his shooting touch is that he isn’t merely a catch-and-shoot guy. He is equally effective off the bounce or with a step-back. In fact, he said that was what he has been known for.

“Shooting off the bounce has always been my primary thing, to be honest with you,” he said.

But once college beckoned, “I realized I had to be more dynamic in shooting, catching and shooting, shooting off ball screens, stuff like that. (But) shooting off the bounce has always been my go-to.”

In case you’re wondering, the former St. Patrick standout had 66 two-point baskets in his tenure at American, so he can pull up inside the arc or get to the rim when necessary.

“Working out in the gym with my trainer,” he said, “I always wanted to make sure I was able to do everything.“

"Shooting is obviously my best ability,” he added, “but creating off the bounce, that’s something I've worked on a lot when they take that away, along with other things. I just want to be as dynamic a player as I can be.”

Harris knows teams will always be in his face, lest they give up a three. Thus, he wants to be able to drive sometimes.

“That’s something I've worked on,” he noted. “Obviously, I wasn’t always great at it. But countless hours of working on it has gotten me to the point where I am today. I feel I am very dynamic. If they take my shot away, I can get around guys. React to what the defense does.”

In fact, when asked for a self-scout, he called himself, “A guy that can really shoot the ball, score the ball-- off the bounce, off the catch--a guy that can defend. I’m also a guy that can create for others, get in the lane and make plays for my teammates as well. Other than that, I feel is to lead, both vocally and with my actions as well.

“I feel like my best quality as far as leadership is concerned is motivating guys, picking guys up when they’re down, assuring that their confidence remains at a high level,” Harris added. “Because I know that in order for us to win games, and win consistently, every member of our team has to be confident in their ability and confident in their game.”

Harris, who has a wealth of experience at two other programs, added, “I feel like, over the years, I've developed the skills to stay confident in myself, obviously, but more so to increase the confidence in my teammates at all times and assure them that they have the ability to be effective every time they step out on the court.”

He can see the cohesion in this band of Pirates.

“I’m really excited for this year,” he said. “I feel like this team has a lot of potential. I love the group of guys that we have. There are no major egos and no hidden agendas.”

In terms of leadership, Harris believes the Pirates already are in a good place.

“I feel that we have a group of guys that are locked in,” he said, “and the young guys who have come in have jumped right on board with what the older guys have already established as far as having a no-nonsense mindset that’s locked in on winning and being as successful as you can be. So that’s goal for this team and that’s my expectation for this team and I'm sure the other upperclassmen have the same expectations. I feel like we’re all on the same page with a common goal--to win the Big East championship and get to the NCAA Tournament.“

"I’ve yet to be part of a team that got an NCAA Tournament bid,” he added, “so I honestly think this team has the ability to do that. There's no better place for me to experience that and add to the list of things I've gotten to experience in college than here, home at Seton Hall. That’s a major goal of mine and of my teammates as well.”

If Harris sticks around for his “super senior” season next year, he would have the chance to play with Pirates commit Jaquan Harris, his younger brother.

“We're excited about that possibility,” he said. “With our age difference, we’ve never really had the chance to play with each other. This would be our one chance for that to happen, so that would be great.

“That would be something very, very special,” he continued. “I know our chemistry on the court would be a sight to see, for sure.”

But that possibility is in the future. First things first.

“I think this team can be great, very special, a Big East champion-type team,” Harris said. “That's our primary goal, to win the Big East championship and get in the NCAA Tournament. I feel like we have the depth, we have the talent, we have the ability, especially when we bring it all together to make that happen.” Harris said, “The guys we have, the older guys, the upperclassmen, have been around the block and been through the ups and downs of what college basketball has to offer.”

“I can feel the energy and the aura of this team being focused on a common goal, which is great,” he added. “I have the highest amount of expectations for this team. I know the rest of the guys do, as well. We're going to do everything that we can, day in and day out, in the weight room and in practice to make this happen and achieve the goals we have set.”

The season is still over a month away, but Harris sounds as if he wishes it would start immediately.

“I'm very excited,” he said. “There’s no place like home. I'm glad to be back home in front of my friends and family. When the first game comes on Nov. 10 (versus FDU) that prideful feeling of being back home will be great. It will be something special.

“I think we have a special year ahead of us.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.