ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Ngandu enters transfer portal

Well that's a surprise, or a very well kept secret by everyone at the Hall.

What a disaster the 2020 recruiting class turned out to be.
Right up there with the 2015 class which turned out to be a real dud.Thank God for the transfer portal and I hope the staff recruits it hard and finds another big to replace Ngandu . What will be a fitting ending to the Ngandu saga is that he land at a school that will have no trouble getting him a visa.

The thing that bugs me the most about this whole saga is that not only was this one of essentially 3 wasted scholarships last year that had our roster down to only 10 players for most of the year, (TT forfeit, Jeff N, and Aiken) but SHU has one of the best diplomacy schools in the country. You’re telling me that we don’t have any alumni or other connections who work in the state department that could have tried to help move things along with this Visa mess? I realize the issues were more so with Canada than the US, but stuff like this seems to only happen at SHU. The only thing worse would be a scholarship player quitting mid season to focus on law school or trade bitcoin in his dorm room but something that ridiculous would never actually happen in real life, right?
/s

Maybe the diplomacy school people did try? Who knows with this entire situation. I have a feeling he wouldn’t have made a difference anyway.

BTW - Was the TT penalty gone after the 2019-20 season?

Maybe the diplomacy school people did try? Who knows with this entire situation. I have a feeling he wouldn’t have made a difference anyway.

BTW - Was the TT penalty gone after the 2019-20 season?
should def be gone now.

but why is ngandu transferring? will be a bad look if another team has no problem getting him in

so why is he transferring?

Maybe transferring for the exact reason that restrictions will soon be easing and he can finally get in .... and a year later wants to go somewhere else? Minds and circumstances change over the course of a year, don’t they?

Reactions: SHUSource
The thing that bugs me the most about this whole saga is that not only was this one of essentially 3 wasted scholarships last year that had our roster down to only 10 players for most of the year, (TT forfeit, Jeff N, and Aiken) but SHU has one of the best diplomacy schools in the country. You’re telling me that we don’t have any alumni or other connections who work in the state department that could have tried to help move things along with this Visa mess? I realize the issues were more so with Canada than the US, but stuff like this seems to only happen at SHU. The only thing worse would be a scholarship player quitting mid season to focus on law school or trade bitcoin in his dorm room but something that ridiculous would never actually happen in real life, right?
/s
Metal this had nothing to do with usa canada relationship, he is an african national who applied for temp status in canada and then covid likely to blame on his lack of chance to enter usa but you would think a staff would realize this ahead of time

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Could he just be testing the waters? And can he technically transfer if he wasn't at a school? What is he transferring from?

Indeed but on the flip side SHU has prevailed in the transfer market over most other Big East schools and other programs. I would take Richmond, Harris, etc over Ngandu and Stevens. I get it, the importance of developing players but that doesn't guarantee better wins over the transfer portal.

Is this:
a) A function of Willard's closing ability which has always been inconsistent?
b) Skinn and 40 slow to get traction?
c) Other?

Reactions: JGCPA
Despite his visa questions early on, in 2019 he was recruited by West Virginia (17), LSU (28), Oklahoma (46), Cincinnati (51), NC State (53), Arizona St (54), Georgetown (65), Oregon St (71) and Kansas St (99). Rated 3 stars by Rivals. Definitely a project but curious how it all works out for him.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Metal this had nothing to do with usa canada relationship, he is an african national who applied for temp status in canada and then covid likely to blame on his lack of chance to enter usa but you would think a staff would realize this ahead of time

If we can’t get him enrolled, what is one to do. Let’s get the next best player and move on.
I agree. I don't understand how another school will be able to get him to the US, when we can't. Additionally, with Samuel's lack of playing time and Ngandu's transfer, the Canadian pipeline may have closed.

Is this:
a) A function of Willard's closing ability which has always been inconsistent?
b) Skinn and 40 slow to get traction?
c) Other?
Kevin closed early on two of Skinn guys. I dont see this on kw.

I agree. I don't understand how another school will be able to get him to the US, when we can't. Additionally, with Samuel's lack of playing time and Ngandu's transfer, the Canadian pipeline may have closed.
I agree also. Canada is on lock down now and even horse trainers and jockeys are not allowed to go to the U.S. but their horses can. I don't see how any school could get him to the U.S. any sooner than we could.

I agree also. Canada is on lock down now and even horse trainers and jockeys are not allowed to go to the U.S. but their horses can. I don't see how any school could get him to the U.S. any sooner than we could.
Lots of people were able to get in and out. That was not Ngandu problem, his problem was an immigration status problem, based on recent articles he is trying to get Canadian citizenship as a refugee before coming to the US. So assume any other school will also have to wait for this to be resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Whenever you're dealing with multiple bureaucracies and multiple countries you can multiply the degree of difficulty in getting the problems resolved and it doesn't matter whether it's a simple issue or a complex one . There is one truism when you're in that position and that is that it's never resolved quickly as we've all seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT