ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry talks to Holloway

Good to hear his takes and be positive.

The only thing I’d say where he is talking out of both sides of his mouth is the player retention piece. He obvious wanted Richmond and Davis back badly. Did he want to upgrade the bench? Sure. But if he had those two for big minutes he would sign up for that tomorrow. And ditto for Dawes if he had any eligibility left.

I think his point is that he wanted depth and not to have to play his starters mid 30s. If those players came back they would probably play in the high 20s low 30s and they would have been more efficient on offense and better rested on D.

He knows that he's not replacing Richmond. He was one of the very best players in the league and maybe the most valuable. And Davis is another player that will be very difficult to replace.

Bottom line he's hoping high quality quantity will replace the stars he lost.

I think his point is that he wanted depth and not to have to play his starters mid 30s. If those players came back they would probably play in the high 20s low 30s and they would have been more efficient on offense and better rested on D.

He knows that he's not replacing Richmond. He was one of the very best players in the league and maybe the most valuable. And Davis is another player that will be very difficult to replace.

Bottom line he's hoping high quality quantity will replace the stars he lost.
Agree with you on that wholly. The lack of bench last season was a recipe for disaster we were fortunate to navigate because of how well the big 3 played in conference and good luck with injuries.

Reactions: HALL85
Richmond was amazing and a stat suffer but it was Dawes killer instinct down the stretch that won them the NIT.

Sha seems to have a knack to pull people along and get the most of of his players. Its going to be interesting to see how long it takes to pull an alpha(s) out of this group.

Sight unseen I like the makeup of this team better then last year's. Experience and chemistry clearly the big hurdle to overcome.

Sha has reset the expectation with Dylan. Leadership begins with actions and won’t be measured in minutes. Need his toughness in practice and games to set the tone. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the floor at the end of tight games especially as he made so many big defensive plays last year.

Not everyone on this team will surprise but there are a lot of high potential ones.

Reactions: Halldan1
Very good interview, and call me excited. With that said, his comment.....
Holloway wrapped up his interview by urging fans to be patient as he figures out this new roster. But the enthusiasm in his voice was palpable.

“If you watch my teams over the years, we get better as the year goes on,” he said. “To our fans I would say, ‘It’s going to be a process, but we’re going to get there.’”

Unfortunately, the NET does not care that you get better as season goes on. We had an awesome big east season, but it was not enough to overcome the slow start. This is going to be a problem if we need to reconstruct the roster every year. We have to hope that the NIL continues to get better and we can at least retain most of our guys each year.

Our OOC seems to be pretty weak though, allowing an adjustment period for sure. That might be a good thing for the group as a whole even though I much prefer to challenge the group in the OOC like Willard seemed to do in the later years.

I actually really liked what I saw about Toumi on a couple of tapes I saw of him. He isn’t a great shooter, but he seems like a good decision maker and sees the floor well.

Having a big man that can pass could really change the entire dynamic out on the floor.

I’m pretty psyched to see how Holloway uses him. He seems very versatile.

Last yr had 3 returnees stars and we played like they just met for 15 games. Maybe this year we get together right away. A starter sucking it up next yr takes a seat. Last year they just kept on sucking. And we fought back like in the iowa game and didnt have any gas in the tank to finish. Dont think that will be a problem next yr.

Last year and the guys who left have nothing to do with next yr. I'm jonesing big time already. Happy days baby!!

All these teams with kids hired for perhaps just one year and now playing for money and the view is yeah sure it will all gel? Color me skeptical.

I like Wolf's comment about Wusu! Off the bench, with limited minutes=better production... Sight unseen but Gus the Bus will be the biggest surprise! Like Krutwig at Loyola a few years ago and Burns at NC State... Love the big bodies! I know that I get a lot of heat for saying that Kadary won't be missed at all but boy do we have talented guards! Sha will have them up and running! Kadary who? by X Mas!

I know Sha says his teams will get better as the season progresses. But many, many years ago when Holloway was an assistant under Willard he often attended Booster Club functions and sat with Piratesal (RIP) and myself. His common refrain back then was to tell us just be patient. By late January you will see how good we are.

Nothing has changed to date. That's why for now I would rather he schedule soft early.

Just my opinion but I wish these interviews were streamed or recorded. Why are their zoom interviews being done by local reporters. Interviews should be done in person and should be able to be viewed by the public. Helps build excitement for the program. Need to start acting like we are a big time program. We don’t do a great job of embracing the media and sharing the outlook of the team throughout the year except for after a game. Every other big east program UCONN, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier to name a few have dedicated media days/podcasts in the offseason as well as during the year. The only time the fan base gets an update is from an article from the beat writers.

Last yr had 3 returnees stars and we played like they just met for 15 games. Maybe this year we get together right away. A starter sucking it up next yr takes a seat. Last year they just kept on sucking. And we fought back like in the iowa game and didnt have any gas in the tank to finish. Dont think that will be a problem next yr.

Last year and the guys who left have nothing to do with next yr. I'm jonesing big time already. Happy days baby!!
We live in wild times.

The team returned more continuity last year but played really poorly during the entire non-conf season. The resume was likely the worst we’ve had in a season where we were good in the BE at 7-4 with a terrible profile. There were no options on the bench either so Sha went ride or die with that veteran group and it took them a while, then they pulled off one of our better BE seasons ever at 13-7. Nutty.

We have less continuity this year but maybe more options to help speed up the process in-season? 🤷‍♂️

Just my opinion but I wish these interviews were streamed or recorded. Why are their zoom interviews being done by local reporters. Interviews should be done in person and should be able to be viewed by the public. Helps build excitement for the program. Need to start acting like we are a big time program. We don’t do a great job of embracing the media and sharing the outlook of the team throughout the year except for after a game. Every other big east program UCONN, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier to name a few have dedicated media days/podcasts in the offseason as well as during the year. The only time the fan base gets an update is from an article from the beat writers.
THIS! So many times during the season even we spoke about the lack of media. Other programs post pregame pressers, what’s going on between games. We do so little it’s astounding.

I like Wolf's comment about Wusu! Off the bench, with limited minutes=better production... Sight unseen but Gus the Bus will be the biggest surprise! Like Krutwig at Loyola a few years ago and Burns at NC State... Love the big bodies! I know that I get a lot of heat for saying that Kadary won't be missed at all but boy do we have talented guards! Sha will have them up and running! Kadary who? by X Mas!
You have to love the fantasy aspect that players we haven't seen play will be better than players who have a proven track record.

Possible? Absolutely. Lots of things can happen. Will it happen? A year ago many thought that Sadraque Nganga was going to be the answer to a lot of our problems.

Reactions: Piratz
Not after I saw him in practice. LOL

I chose my words carefully as I am a guest being invited to practice and if I want to return I can't disparage the players. But it was easy to read between the lines when I said our starters can play with any team in the league but the bench was going to be a major concern.

Reactions: Piratz and HALL85
You have to love the fantasy aspect that players we haven't seen play will be better than players who have a proven track record.

Possible? Absolutely. Lots of things can happen. Will it happen? A year ago many thought that Sadraque Nganga was going to be the answer to a lot of our problems.
It's funny how often we read players like Ike and TT are going to come in a start right away. Then it turns out that Gill and Mamu turn out to be the guys who step up. Let's just hope that people we have enough guys who are going to step up, but in the meantime not count on who those guys will be. We are very young and because of that there will be surprises for the better and worse. You can almost guarantee that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT