ADVERTISEMENT

JORDAN WALKER SIGNS NLI TO JOIN PIRATES BASKETBALL

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
jordan_walker_NLI_web.jpg

South Orange, N.J. - Jordan Walker (Port Washington, N.Y.), a four-star Rivals recruit, has signed a National Letter of Intent to join the Seton Hall men's basketball family, head coach Kevin Willard announced. Walker will join The Hall after graduating from The Patrick School, where he helped the Celtics win the 2017 New Jersey Tournament of Champions.

Walker, a 6-0 point guard, is the latest in a great run of Patrick School/St. Patrick High School recruits to attend Seton Hall, including current Pirates star center Angel Delgado (Bajos De Haina, Dominican Republic), Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Famers Shaheen Holloway and Samuel Dalembert as well as Grant Billmeier, Jeff Robinson and Derrick Gordon.

Walker also now becomes the sixth Seton Hall student-athlete on the 2017-18 roster to hail from either New Jersey or New York, as Willard continues to hone in on the region's top talent to keep them home. Currently one of the strongest programs in the area, Seton Hall has 46 wins and back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances over the last two seasons, and since 2014 alone, Seton Hall recruits from the Metro New York area have accumulated four All-BIG EAST and eight All-Met selections.

"We're very excited to welcome Jordan into the Seton Hall basketball family," Willard said. "He is a very talented point guard with excellent speed and can be effective on both ends of the floor. He was outstanding at The Patrick School, where he got a tremendous amount of experience and won a lot of games. We're very excited for his potential and can't wait to have him here to begin his college career.

"Bringing Jordan to Seton Hall is another success for our staff, which prides itself in keeping the best local New Jersey and New York talent close to home."

Walker enjoyed a banner senior season at The Patrick School, playing for head coach Chris Chavannes, who led the Celtics to a No. 12 national ranking in the USA Today High School Super 25. He averaged 11.9 points and 4.8 assists per game for the Celtics and had some big single-game performances, including a near triple-double (15 points, 11 assists, eight rebounds) vs. Pace Academy to earn MVP honors of the Hoophall Classic; 31 points and seven assists vs. Linden, 22 points and eight assists vs. Roselle Catholic; 15 points and 12 assists vs. Hudson Catholic; and 17 points and five assists in the Tournament of Champions title game victory over Don Bosco Prep.

At season's end, Walker was named third-team All-State and second-team All Non-Public by NJ.com.

"The Patrick School congratulates Jordan Walker for his acceptance to Seton Hall University," Chavannes said. "Jordan joins a long list of Patrick School / St. Patrick High School student-athletes that includes Shaheen Holloway, Sam Dalembert, and Angel Delgado. They have all attended and benefitted from a wonderful college experience at Seton Hall. Jordan helped lead the Patrick School Celtics to a 29 – 4 record and a 2017 Tournament of Champions title. We know Jordan will continue his winning ways as a Seton Hall Pirate."

Walker becomes the fifth signed commit to join Seton Hall for 2017-18, including fellow freshmen Myles Cale (Middletown, Del.), Darnell Brodie (Newark, N.J.) and Sandro Mamukelashvili (Tbilisi, Georgia) and junior college transfer Romaro Gill (St. Thomas, Jamaica). The impressive class of newcomers will join an already potent Pirates squad that is projected to be among the best in the nation. The Pirates will bring back seven letter winners that account for 90.5 percent of the team's scoring and 90.0 percent of the team's rebounding from last season.

Led by Willard, who is entering his eighth season at the helm of The Hall, the Pirates are coming off back-to-back 20-win seasons and NCAA Tournament appearances.

http://www.shupirates.com/news/2017...ker-signs-nli-to-join-pirates-basketball.aspx

Welcome to Seton Hall, Jordan Walker !!! Looking forward to watching him and the team on the court. Impressed with his quickness,speed,moves, ball handling, passing and shooting. #HALLin

Ok so can someone be completely realistic with me how this is going to play out? It seems like we might be overhyping this kid when hes a unanimous 3 star recruit. I love the signing, and im really happy dont get me wrong, i just want to know what we can realistically expect from a 3 star freshman taking all of the PG duties next year. Yes hes a revelation compared to what we currently have (nothing) but am i missing something?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Flash and dash sells. But to carry over that style of play at 5-10 160 lbs is probably a lot more difficult than our fan base understands.

Walker has game and I don't think the question should be will it show but instead when will it show?

Best to let him come along at his own speed. Willard will know when he's ready far before any of us do.

Welcome to the family, Jordan. Don't listen to some of the "less than credible" posters on this board. We all love that you signed with us and know that you will not only be an integral part of our basketball cog, but will represent Seton Hall to the fullest. Can't wait to see you running the point this year.

Reactions: Pirate 81
????

What posters weren't happy with Walker coming on board? The only question being raised here is a fair one. When (not if) will he be ready to take over the reins of the team.

Jordan Walker is a Rivals 4 star recruit. He was very good at setting up his teammates on the perimeter with nice passes and his quickness allowed him to penetrate and make nice passes to interior players. I watched him play in person at the City of Palms and was extremely impressed with his game. Can knock down the mid range or 3 pt shot. I could care less about rankings, Jordan Walker has game.

Welcome Jordan to Pirate to Nation we will be rooting for you and the boy's down here in Florida. We believe you're going to light it up right off the bat..Don't forget you're going to get a great education to boot.....

Reactions: Irishwakeup
if you watch Isaiah Thomas play for the Celtics (who I think is almost right up there with Steph Curry in terms of players who are fun to watch), you shouldn't be overly concerned about height. Andre Barrett was 5'8 and was fantastic for us.

Let's also remember Walker is joining a team with Angel Delgado, Khadeen Carrington, Desi Rodriguez, and Myles Powell already on board and ready to go. Those are your stars. The more we can keep KC at the 2, the better.

He just has to set the offense up next year. Now, for us, that means a bit of north-south ability and athleticism (which he has in droves, probably more so than say Jones last year). We don't run a motion or flex offense, so we ask our PG to create. Jones did well as a stopgap, but I always thought he was a more east-west PG who facilitates in a more controlled scheme.

Walker has a distinct cutting ability with low dribble. He may have trouble scoring at times, but if he can hit the outside jumper when defenses sag, that'll keep it honest.

I think it's a great position to be in for a recruit like Walker. He doesn't need to come in and be all-world. His overall development can time with the '14 class departing as we'll need him to take on a larger role in the following years.

Reactions: shupat08
Let's also remember Walker is joining a team with Angel Delgado, Khadeen Carrington, Desi Rodriguez, and Myles Powell already on board and ready to go. Those are your stars. The more we can keep KC at the 2, the better.

He just has to set the offense up next year. Now, for us, that means a bit of north-south ability and athleticism (which he has in droves, probably more so than say Jones last year). We don't run a motion or flex offense, so we ask our PG to create. Jones did well as a stopgap, but I always thought he was a more east-west PG who facilitates in a more controlled scheme.

Walker has a distinct cutting ability with low dribble. He may have trouble scoring at times, but if he can hit the outside jumper when defenses sag, that'll keep it honest.

I think it's a great position to be in for a recruit like Walker. He doesn't need to come in and be all-world. His overall development can time with the '14 class departing as we'll need him to take on a larger role in the following years.
thanks

What were copeland and theodore rated when the signed with us? Anyone know?
This is from ESPN which has abbreviated their info on Theodore since it's been a while since it was originally posted.

Jordan Theodore

6-0, 170 | Class of 2008

Scout Grade 90
? Star

17 POSITION

ESPN Analyst
Updated null

Jordan is extremely quick with the ball and finds his way to the basket almost whenever he wants. He does a great job of going by his man and scoring with the lay-up or the pull-up in the lane. When he draws the help from the opposing big man, he sees the dump-down pass to his teammate and delivers it with perfection. He feels very comfortable with the ball in his hands. He likes to be involved in pick and rolls and play off the ball screen. He can hit the open jumper but needs to be more consistent. At times, he will get a little out of control and pick up a charge. He must develop his left hand more to go by defenders consistently. As with most players who dominate the ball, he needs to grasp the concept of playing off the ball, but that will come in time. Defensively, he plays hard. You could tell he is a real competitor who loves the game. With experience, he will control his emotions and keep his energy and focus on the next play

SCHOOL LIST

Seton Hall
Signed
icon-check.png

Cincinnati

Florida

Memphis

Pittsburgh

Reactions: buckfoston824
Welcome Jordan. So glad to have you. Looking forward to your 4 years as the next great Pirate point guard!

Ok so can someone be completely realistic with me how this is going to play out? It seems like we might be overhyping this kid when hes a unanimous 3 star recruit. I love the signing, and im really happy dont get me wrong, i just want to know what we can realistically expect from a 3 star freshman taking all of the PG duties next year. Yes hes a revelation compared to what we currently have (nothing) but am i missing something?

I agree with Piratz in that he come into a great situation where he does not have to be the star. He just needs to be the facilitator. Angel is still the man and Jordan knows how to deliver a pass into the post. He will have inside and outside weapons to pass to. All he needs to do is not turn the ball over and facilitate. Every so often a pull up jumper or a three point shot to keep the defense honest, and we have a dangerous team.

Thanks halldan. My point was that cope and jordan werent highly touted players but they became all be guys for us. Theres one thing im looking forward to seeing how well walker does and that is his decision after pick and rolls. I see at least 2 or 3 pick and rolls in nearly every offensive possession, and last year none of our pgs i feel ever passed to the screener and who often had no one 5 ft from them. In the last 3 yrs, only IW imo, was the only pg who really used that dump pass as an option. Both deeno and madison last year just seemed to dribble around the screen waiting for the next one. This is where i think walker will shine and earn his syarting minutes. Also a reason why i dont like KC at the 1

Reactions: Seton00
Theodore should have been highly touted but you're right. Many missed the boat on him.

Copeland did absolutely nothing his first two years at the Hall and then had a blah third year.

Must have taken PEDs after that because he became a star his final season.

Reactions: shupat08

Just limit the turnovers and he'll be fine.

Just limit the turnovers and he'll be fine.
Our sloppiness didn't exactly come from the pg spot last year. Think Jones was pretty good. Not expecting a true 3 star freshman to do better during big East play, it's tough and a lot to expect. We need our other guys to be less sloppy. I think walker being able to hit open shots is a solid factor. What's his ft%? If he can draw could that's be huge.

Btw I think biggest deal is defense.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
I agree with Piratz in that he come into a great situation where he does not have to be the star. He just needs to be the facilitator. Angel is still the man and Jordan knows how to deliver a pass into the post. He will have inside and outside weapons to pass to. All he needs to do is not turn the ball over and facilitate. Every so often a pull up jumper or a three point shot to keep the defense honest, and we have a dangerous team.
One thing about playing for TPS, you are used to playing with talent. Jordon had post men to feed and shooters to hit when they were open.

Our sloppiness didn't exactly come from the pg spot last year. Think Jones was pretty good. Not expecting a true 3 star freshman to do better during big East play, it's tough and a lot to expect. We need our other guys to be less sloppy. I think walker being able to hit open shots is a solid factor. What's his ft%? If he can draw could that's be huge.

Btw I think biggest deal is defense.
Agree with you. I wasn't saying Jones was bad with turnovers. I'm just thinking that with Walker's style, I could see him moving too fast and creating turnovers.

He won't be as effective as Jones on the defensive end... we lose like 5 inches in height there. But maybe his quickness overcomes that.

With defense a possible wash from last year, and a possible increase in offense, if he controls his turnovers, he'll be fine.

The most important thing a PG does cannot be measured by stats. He runs the offense at the tempo desired by the coach. He knows when to speed the game up and he knows when to slow it down. He must know when and where his teammates want the ball. That only comes with experience and even Jones, a 5th year senior with previous PT in the ACC told me that was the toughest things he had to learn under Willard. Took him a month or two.

That's what Walker has to learn coming into a situation where he will at first back-up Carrington and when ready take over the reins of the team.

He can't be rushed and must be allowed to grow at his own pace.

The most important thing a PG does cannot be measured by stats. He runs the offense at the tempo desired by the coach. He knows when to speed the game up and he knows when to slow it down. He must know when and where his teammates want the ball. That only comes with experience and even Jones, a 5th year senior with previous PT in the ACC told me that was the toughest things he had to learn under Willard. Took him a month or two.

That's what Walker has to learn coming into a situation where he will at first back-up Carrington and when ready take over the reins of the team.

He can't be rushed and must be allowed to grow at his own pace.
Right but with 4 seniors and this realistically being the best team we have for a while, hes gotta learn quickly to have the team live up to our true potential. Carrington playing significant PG minutes later in the year wont cut it. This is the first time we can actually can say "the time is now"

I'm not thrilled with Deeno at the point either. Remember last season when I posted what combination do you want to start Carrington and Powell or Carrington and Jones? A majority wanted the former.

Now it seems like many have backtracked and clearly believe it's a mistake to play such an accomplished 2G at the point. But bottom like until there is a better alternative what is is what is. You can't force Walker to do something he's not ready to do.

As the season progresses Willard will know far before any of us do if and when to turn the reigns over to Jordan Walker.

I am not concerned about his defense. There are very few point guards that have an elite post game but unfortunately we have one of them in our conference. Besides Brunson, I really don't think the defensive side of the ball will be a problem for Walker.

I am not concerned about his defense. There are very few point guards that have an elite post game but unfortunately we have one of them in our conference. Besides Brunson, I really don't think the defensive side of the ball will be a problem for Walker.
I'm not so much worried about guards posting up Walker. It's the 2's, 3's and 4's. We switch a lot of perimeter screens because of how effectively Ish can guard...well, everyone. It's going to be hard to switch those screens with a 5'9" PG.

I'm not thrilled with Deeno at the point either. Remember last season when I posted what combination do you want to start Carrington and Powell or Carrington and Jones? A majority wanted the former.

Now it seems like many have backtracked and clearly believe it's a mistake to play such an accomplished 2G at the point. But bottom like until there is a better alternative what is is what is. You can't force Walker to do something he's not ready to do.

As the season progresses Willard will know far before any of us do if and when to turn the reigns over to Jordan Walker.
And disrupt chemistry by sending a veteran starter to the bench? Planning for a midseason lineup change for the core four's final season does not sound like a great plan.

Gosh, that's never happened before in the history of the sport. Play someone who has shown he deserves the PT.

All of this is mere conjecture. Message board talk in the off season. I'll repeat what should be obvious. Let the coach make the decisions he's paid to make.

When Walker is ready to take over the reigns he will. If that's this season great. If not then eventually.

BTW, no veteran would be sitting IF that happens. Carrington would move to the two and Powell (just a soph) would come off the bench.

Walker has plenty of time within the first year to get up to speed. He needs to be a supplement and keep Carrington's minutes down at PG. Jordan needs to prove that he can be on the court st crunch time as the season winds down. Willard has to get him in though and not baby him either.

Gosh, that's never happened before in the history of the sport. Play someone who has shown he deserves the PT.

All of this is mere conjecture. Message board talk in the off season. I'll repeat what should be obvious. Let the coach make the decisions he's paid to make.

When Walker is ready to take over the reigns he will. If that's this season great. If not then eventually.

BTW, no veteran would be sitting IF that happens. Carrington would move to the two and Powell (just a soph) would come off the bench.
Yes, that does happen, I'm just saying planning for it to happen prior to this season is a less than stellar plan. Ditto planning to take away Powell's starting job unless he is on board with that from the start, since I'm this case he's not losing pt to someone at his position who is outplaying him.

What we conjecture here on a message board is just that, conjecture. What happens starting in November is for real and will be handled by the staff as they deem fit. I don;t understand the issue being raised.

Dan
The interest on this Board concerning the PG position is not going to go away no matter how many times we see posts discussing the same questions over and over again. You're right when you say that it's in the hands of the staff but I for one wish we had more options at that position then Walker and KC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT