ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Ju-gone

Strange time to announce it as Michigan State-Purdue played a close second half.

A little surprised but the right decision. Just too unstable plus lousy results the last two years.

Reactions: Merge

Michigan parting ways with Juwan Howard in massive Wolverines failure​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

Juwan Howard’s time at Michigan has come to an end.

Michigan announced Friday that it was parting ways with Howard after five seasons.

The wheels fell off this season as the Wolverines went 8-24.

Howard, 51, had played at Michigan in the fabled Fab Five era that also included Chris Webber and Jalen Rose.

However, Michigan fell to 18-16 last season and missed the NCAA Tournament after having had two consecutive March Madness berths.

“After a comprehensive review of the program, I have decided that Juwan will not return as our men’s basketball coach,” athletics director Warde Manuel said in a statement.

“Juwan is among the greatest Wolverines to ever be associated with our basketball program. I know how much it meant, to not only Juwan, but to all of us for him to return here to lead this program. Despite his love of his alma mater and the positive experience that our student-athletes had under his leadership, it was clear to me that the program was not living up to our expectations and not trending in the right direction.

“I am thankful for Juwan’s dedication, passion and commitment to U-M and for all that he, and his legacy, will continue to mean to Michigan.”

Howard had a couple of issues beyond wins and losses at Michigan.

He was suspended for the remainder of the 2021-22 regular season after slapping Wisconsin assistant Joe Krabbenhoft in an altercation following a Feb. 21 game, and later apologized for losing his cool.

He was also involved in a heated confrontation this past season with Michigan’s strength and conditioning coach Jon Sanderson that began over an apparent issue between Howard’s son, Jace, and a team trainer.

Howard played in the NBA from 1995-2013 and made one All-Star team and won two NBA championships.

I’m surprised they had the courage to do the right thing. He had to go, yet I was sure they were in for another absolutely abysmal season before they’d have the guts to “justify“ canning him. Owing him only three million is a bargain, take that anytime to move on from that disaster.

Everything went south after that incident with the Wisconsin coach. That was the start of the downfall. Never got back on track after that.

Reactions: TomD82
Regardless of Mcdermotts new contract, I wonder if he’ll be a name mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT