ADVERTISEMENT

Kadary Richmond to Seton Hall!

Something went down in the Bahamas, Nelson played a combined 5 minutes in the two games after the Oregon loss.

I remember some type of poor lazy sequence that got him yanked.

He was late to or missed a meeting on the morning of the second game against Southern Mississippi.

Then in the third game against Iowa State, Tyrese Haliburton torched him for a couple of quick baskets and Willard sat him.

Go take BP for a month and then face live pitching. You can only accomplish so much through practice.

If I'm wrong, why does KY struggle early ever year then end up in sweet 16 and beyond. You think they're practicing more later in the season?
if you prepare for live pitching with bp fastballs straight down the middle for a month shame on you as a coach. That’s just poor preparation. Funny how you’re idea of practice has no mention of working with a coach for better bat speed, shorter path to the ball, better weight transfer, better balance, better hip rotation. If BP is practice to you, you have no clue. Go take BP for a month does nothing to address my personal needs as a hitter. Thanks for having my best interest at heart coach. I’ll keep taking the same swing and wonder why I’m not having better results.

Are they practicing more? Hmmmm later in the year they’ve had 6 months of practices as opposed to 2 which really helps. What’s the point of practicing? Maybe they should play the games and only watch film in between.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, and trying not to be disrespectful but there are very few posts on this board that I would disagree with more.

Practice at this level is crucial not only as an induvial but as a team.

Add in Willard's one on one workouts and if you don't improve your game, if you don't show you can fit into the team scheme laid out by the staff you will rarely see the court.

It's the actual games where you play (well) only if you're prepared. And that preparation happens behind closed doors unseen by the fanbase.
100%

you have to let a point guard play and get into the flow of the game. I don’t think he was ever given the opportunity to really do that except for the games I cherry picked, because those coincidentally were the only times he got to play extended minutes regardless of mistakes
52 minutes over 4 games directly after his Maryland game is plenty of time to get into the flow of a game. 13 minutes a game on average. Playing behind Q is not going to give you a lot more than that. Nelson is not a good shooter so he’s not really a great off guard option

Could he have been much needed this past year if he had his issues in order? Sure. But he is what he is. You can’t make up what isn’t there.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
I’m sure he will right after you share your source that Hurley offered Sanogo a starting spot. 🙄

(Of course, I suppose that since Sanogo did end up starting, it kind of wouldn’t matter either way. But that’s not Hurley’s patter. His pitch is come here and you’ll get a chance to compete and bring Connecticut back to greatness. Kids seem to be buying into it.)
He didn’t deserve to start half the season which was why he got subbed out at like 17:30 min mark often. As I noted earlier he picked it up at the end. I personally would’ve promised Sanogo a starting job as well.

He was late to or missed a meeting on the morning of the second game against Southern Mississippi.

Then in the third game against Iowa State, Tyrese Haliburton torched him for a couple of quick baskets and Willard sat him.
tyrese haliburton is a legitimate nba player and lottery pick. he would have torched anyone

if you prepare for live pitching with bp fastballs straight down the middle for a month shame on you as a coach. That’s just poor preparation. Funny how you’re idea of practice has no mention of working with a coach for better bat speed, shorter path to the ball, better weight transfer, better balance, better hip rotation. If BP is practice to you, you have no clue. Go take BP for a month does nothing to address my personal needs as a hitter. Thanks for having my best interest at heart coach. I’ll keep taking the same swing and wonder why I’m not having better results.

Are they practicing more? Hmmmm later in the year they’ve had 6 months of practices as opposed to 2 which really helps. What’s the point of practicing? Maybe they should play the games and only watch film in between.
our team got exponentially worse as the season went on. so much for their practices.

our team got exponentially worse as the season went on. so much for their practices.
Yup. I remember reading this board mid February about how much worse we were getting. People were wondering why we weren't playing as good as we did vs Louisville after we beat UConn and won a few more games after that. Never a possibility the other teams practiced and got better too.

Last edited:
Nelson's stats

Poor assist/TO ratio (which was what limited his minutes here) and not great FG% (from 2 or 3). Don't want to start another pissing contest, but I would be surprised if Shavar didn't put up better numbers than Anthony next year.

Something went down in the Bahamas, Nelson played a combined 5 minutes in the two games after the Oregon loss.

I remember some type of poor lazy sequence that got him yanked.
One thing I noticed was that he let Pritchard walk up the court and launch a 3 which he hit to start their comeback. Absolutely no pressure or contest from Nelson. Then the egregious turnovers late in the second half.

He didn’t deserve to start half the season which was why he got subbed out at like 17:30 min mark often. As I noted earlier he picked it up at the end. I personally would’ve promised Sanogo a starting job as well.
Sanogo is going to very good. His minutes will increase as he learns to avoid fouling.

Sanogo is going to very good. His minutes will increase as he learns to avoid fouling.
I agree

his minutes increased because he deserved them

by the end of season he played very well

early in season he was lost

Reactions: CL82
Your blue goggles glasses stuff is really original. So funny too.

Infect? What did he infect? We have had nothing but good upstanding student athletes during the Willard era.

KW did not promise Sanogo a starting spot. Hurley did. You care to share your source to suggest otherwise?

I don’t know how he landed Kadary but he did, as I hinted the day before Zags
I don't have a "source" on what Hurley said to Sanogo compared to Willard, nor would I pretend to have one to make a point on a message board. My opinion is that KW is no different than most other high-major coaches. He wants to win and he is paid to win. Part of that is landing kids you want who are high impact players. I don't think he says anything differently than most coaches would in that situation. In the case of a talent like Sanogo or Richmond, you are making it evidently clear to those kids and their parents/advisors that substantial minutes are available in that type of role they wan to play. For Richmond, that was having the ability to come in immediately and get the ball Day 1. I'm sure a similar type of discussion was had with Sanogo by both Hurley and Willard.

I don't want to relitigate the Tiny move. There is ample information out there on his background. He is not the type I'd want around our program. Gun to head, he isn't what Willard wants around our program. But Willard was on the verge of being fired and needed a massive influx of talent, so he did what he had to do. And it worked out tremendously. Many others have speculated on here how we may have dodged a bullet with IW leaving after his sophomore year with what's come out on the relationship between Andy Miller, IW and Tiny. I'll leave it at that. There is nothing wrong with bringing in a connected guy or even a family member to be part of a staff to get a high-impact player. Programs have done this for ages - Danny Manning, Wagner, Cunningham this year, and Tiny/Antigua. My issue was with the people he brought in the door. If Danny Hurley was the top ranked recruit in the country and PJ thought we had to hire Hurley Senior to get him, I wouldn't have had any issue with that.

I didn't realize I needed to spell out every aspect of Batting practice. What you're talking about is more done in the cages or of a tee or soft toss, hip rotation, staying inside the ball etc. All that is great but doesn't help a batter with picking up the ball out of pitcher's hand, different arm angles. Adjusting to fm different umpires strike zone. Different movement on pitches. No one in practice is facing the ssme level of pitches they'll face in a game. Why do you think they send young players back to minor league if they can get the same out of practice? NBA is sending young players to G league to get game experience why? They NEED LIVE GAME REPS. My point isn't that practice isn't important at all. My point is you need to play through mistakes in a game to truly improve your game and have the opportunity to execute what was practiced. 2nd You can't solely judge a player on practice.

I didn't realize I needed to spell out every aspect of Batting practice. What you're talking about is more done in the cages or of a tee or soft toss, hip rotation, staying inside the ball etc. All that is great but doesn't help a batter with picking up the ball out of pitcher's hand, different arm angles. Adjusting to fm different umpires strike zone. Different movement on pitches. No one in practice is facing the ssme level of pitches they'll face in a game. Why do you think they send young players back to minor league if they can get the same out of practice? NBA is sending young players to G league to get game experience why? They NEED LIVE GAME REPS. My point isn't that practice isn't important at all. My point is you need to play through mistakes in a game to truly improve your game and have the opportunity to execute what was practiced. 2nd You can't solely judge a player on practice.
You're changing your original tune practice does nothing to make a player better. That's fine because we all know it's false. No one will arguing there are aspects to a game that are different. However practice is a huge part of making a player better. Breaking down your mechanical flaws on video and changing habits through repitition is a gigantic part of making a player better. I've heard Mike Shep Sr talk about the extra work after practice Biggio and Valentin use to put in. The comment that anyone who ever played knows practice doesn't make you better, might be the #1 most off base comment ever made on this board and that's impressive.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
You're changing your original tune practice does nothing to make a player better. That's fine because we all know it's false. No one will arguing there are aspects to a game that are different. However practice is a huge part of making a player better. Breaking down your mechanical flaws on video and changing habits through repitition is a gigantic part of making a player better. I've heard Mike Shep Sr talk about the extra work after practice Biggio and Valentin use to put in. The comment that anyone who ever played knows practice doesn't make you better, might be the #1 most off base comment ever made on this board and that's impressive.
I'm changing nothing. I stand by my point that there is only so much you can do by practice alone. Yes practice is importation but you can't judge a player solely on practice performance. You simply ignore my points and focus on your point that practice is the gospel when determining who plays. There are guys who played in practice like it was game 7 every day like MJ. There are also hall of famers who hated practice and leaned on "nagging injuries" to avoid it yet brought it every game night. This whole dialog started by claiming Nelson didn't get playing time because he didn't practice well which is not the way you evaluate talent. Tell me the next time a recruiter scouts a player in practice rather than a game. Oh and maybe respond to why teams send players down to get playing time if all they need to do is practice.

I'm changing nothing. I stand by my point that there is only so much you can do by practice alone. Yes practice is importation but you can't judge a player solely on practice performance. You simply ignore my points and focus on your point that practice is the gospel when determining who plays. There are guys who played in practice like it was game 7 every day like MJ. There are also hall of famers who hated practice and leaned on "nagging injuries" to avoid it yet brought it every game night. This whole dialog started by claiming Nelson didn't get playing time because he didn't practice well which is not the way you evaluate talent. Tell me the next time a recruiter scouts a player in practice rather than a game. Oh and maybe respond to why teams send players down to get playing time if all they need to do is practice.
You’re talking hall of famers, the rest of us are talking backups. Actually there are a lot of baseball recruiters who show up for warmups. There’s no guarantee the guy they’re going see gets a ball hit to him in game. Have you seen HS baseball showcases? It’s BP and radar guns.

Last edited:
My belief is that Shavar’s attitude and defense won out over the more talented Nelson. Word is that Nelson did not work hard in practice. That probably opened the door for Shavar to get some of his time. The next thing that hurt Nelson was that he did not respond well to criticism when he made mistakes during the game. I was at the Oregon game with a seat behind the bench. If I had been his coach that night he would not have seen anytime in the second half as his attitude. I believe the combination of those two items doomed him to the doghouse and then we signed Aiken. The writing was on the wall. KW does deserve some blame in this situation but the person who had the most control and therefore the blame was Nelson

My belief is that Shavar’s attitude and defense won out over the more talented Nelson. Word is that Nelson did not work hard in practice. That probably opened the door for Shavar to get some of his time. The next thing that hurt Nelson was that he did not respond well to criticism when he made mistakes during the game. I was at the Oregon game with a seat behind the bench. If I had been his coach that night he would not have seen anytime in the second half as his attitude. I believe the combination of those two items doomed him to the doghouse and then we signed Aiken. The writing was on the wall. KW does deserve some blame in this situation but the person who had the most control and therefore the blame was Nelson
Thanks for the insight. I agree if he has a bad attitude and was uncoachable he deserved the bench. That's different than saying he didn't play well in practice so he didn't get minutes which some on this board claimed was the reason.

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
The reality is Nelson dropped down to a lesser program and league, got tons of playing time, and put up less than pedestrian numbers for a PG. Doesn’t that support Willards decision?

Reactions: Seton75
The reality is Nelson dropped down to a lesser program and league, got tons of playing time, and put up less than pedestrian numbers for a PG. Doesn’t that support Willards decision?
Here’s one for us....who gives a crap? I loved Nelson but things don’t always work. I’m long on Richmond, Conway, Long, Harris, Harris....

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Thanks for the insight. I agree if he has a bad attitude and was uncoachable he deserved the bench. That's different than saying he didn't play well in practice so he didn't get minutes which some on this board claimed was the reason.
You’re not going to give us a list of hall of famers with bad attitudes? Players should be allowed to play with bad attitudes because some hall of famers definitely had them. Right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT