ADVERTISEMENT

Khalil Whitney - Kelly Whitney's son

Hallisthebest

All Big East
Mar 3, 2003
Man I hope SHU is recruiting him hard from now here is a write up about him from one of the Chicago recruiting sites:

Sometimes you see a kid and say “boy oh boy If I had him”. Well there is one kid walking around the Chicago’s Westside and he keeps me making that statement. His name is Khalil Whitney he is the 6/4 wing whom just recently graduated from Gregory Elementary. I have known Khalil and seen him play for more than 3 years. I have witnessed his progression through hard work and effort. Young fella is also one of the highest character kids you will find at his age and takes nothing for granted. I’ve witnessed Khalil dominate games going coast to coast and dunking over his opponents showing things on the floor that make your jaw drop, I’ve witnessed him struggle in games trying to show his versatility, but what surprises me the most is that he is the same kid no matter how he played. He shows a maturity that is well beyond his years and he is very humble. Here is a kid who is progressively getting better by leaps and bounds, he is also a gym rat and wants to learn. His size and athleticism already equate to someone high major colleges will be all over in the next few years. Not many kids combine the size, strength, athletic ability, will to get better and the genetic pool that Khalil possesses. When someone says a kid has Upside this is what they are talking about. Imagine him in a few years with a few more inches” “That’s Scary”, if that happens watch-out. Young fella has steadily been climbing the rankings ever since they were released last winter. Khalil Whitney is currently Jrhoopselite # 4 prospect of 2019 and he has the Upside and Potential to be the best when it’s all said and done. We look forward to seeing Khalil at the faboulus freshmen showcase Aug. 15th and monitoring him through-out high school career as we are formulating player profiles this coming spring for college coaches. Khalil Whitney “boy oh boy” WHAT AN UPSIDE!!!!!! You are Promising Prospect # 12.

This article as well:

O’Brien: Why the best freshman in Chicago chose Solorio
http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2015/12/08/obrien-best-freshman-chicago-chose-solorio/

You mean the grown ass man kelly whitney that held up some seton hall students at gunpoint for a couple grams of weed?

No thanks lets avoid all connections to that idiot.

Reactions: shupat08
That is Kelly Whitney, not his son. His son has nothing to do with that. Sins of the father should not be held against the son.

Moreover, if the kid is good, you use whatever you can to get that kid here. We could only be so lucky to be involved in a great talented kid.

When you're looking at recruiting any player you look at not only his basketball skills and abilities but also the type of person he is and you judge him on his own merits and not on any mistakes made by members of his family.

It is natural to have your thoughts shaded by the life of Kelly post shu. It may be totally unfair. But some people get into Ivy league schools because of their parent's resume, and some kids can't get the job they want cause their dad is a criminal. Not fair and it will always be that way. I hope Khalil had a good upbringing, is a good kid and has a good life.

Plenty of fish in the sea, if i was any other team i would take him. Going after a kid whose father will be out of prison to watch him play, who robbed people at gunpoint in south orange, is perhaps not the first guy on my list. Thats desperate recruiting.

As a program i don't think we should go down this road. it wouldn't be fair to Khalil either.

That is Kelly Whitney, not his son. His son has nothing to do with that. Sins of the father should not be held against the son.

Moreover, if the kid is good, you use whatever you can to get that kid here. We could only be so lucky to be involved in a great talented kid.

Agree 100% but we all know the administration is NOT going to be on board with this. I could see the NY papers crucifying the Hall if they brought him in (and believe me he shouldn't be punished because of what his Dad did).

Is he still in the clink?

Interesting but I guess not surprising that there was no mention of Kelly in that article.

His Father was mentioned as having gone to Marshall and SHU and living in Newark, NJ
Yeah, I'm sure he lives in the area (if he never moved back to Chicago). He's not imprisoned and was released a few years ago. He's still likely not allowed on campus or at school events. I'm assuming that ban is for life and I doubt he'll be attempting to get off the banned list.

Kelly sure messed up badly. I hope he can get his life back in order. But that guy could play post offense. He had the knack to deke and pump and do what was needed to get a good shot. I remember seeing him in the JSBL before he played for us and thinking this kid can play. If John Garcia was ever healthy, those two would have been a helluva tandem inside.

Seems like a pretty harsh penalty for something as minor as armed burglary.
I don't remember the specifics of the crime (may have tuned it out because of all the criminal, or just overall embarrassing events during the end of Gonzo's tenure here), but if a gun was pulled, possibly loaded??, doesn't seem that harsh to me.

Kelly sure messed up badly. I hope he can get his life back in order. But that guy could play post offense. He had the knack to deke and pump and do what was needed to get a good shot. I remember seeing him in the JSBL before he played for us and thinking this kid can play. If John Garcia was ever healthy, those two would have been a helluva tandem inside.
He could score in the paint. Best interior offensive player we've had in a while. Need to see AD do that, or at least give him the chance to which hasn't happened yet. I think he has the ability to but if we keep running the weave, and chucking up shots, we'll never know.

Reactions: higgins3
I don't remember the specifics of the crime (may have tuned it out because of all the criminal, or just overall embarrassing events during the end of Gonzo's tenure here), but if a gun was pulled, possibly loaded??, doesn't seem that harsh to me.
I believe there was sarcasm involved haha.

I'm not going to make an excuse for what Kelly did.

But while I was in school with Kelly, he was a good friend. He came from a much different background then me and may have gotten involved with the wrong kids after I left.

He did his time and paid a price. That shouldn't effect his son at all.

I also have heard that Kelly has turned his life around and is trying to be a good man.

I'm not going to make an excuse for what Kelly did.

But while I was in school with Kelly, he was a good friend. He came from a much different background then me and may have gotten involved with the wrong kids after I left.

He did his time and paid a price. That shouldn't effect his son at all.

I also have heard that Kelly has turned his life around and is trying to be a good man.

Kelly pleaded guilty and got a three year sentence in November, 2011 for the 2010 robbery so I'm sure he's not in jail today. I would never defend what he and Mitchell did ( who got the same 3 years in Prison) but he was not a student or associated with SH in any way when he committed the crime and whether the ban would be lifted if his son came to SH would be conjecture on anyone's part. I would add my voice to those who point out that the son is not responsible for the action of his father and if he should have an interest in SH then that interest should be considered by SH the same way it does any other player who expresses interest.

A lifetime ban from Seton Hall is certainly a just result following his violent crimes against SHU students. Here's an excerpt from the 11-7-11 SL:

That all changed in March when he and another former Seton Hall basketball player were charged with robbing eight college students at gunpoint in an off-campus house in South Orange.

In August, Whitney pleaded guilty and today, the former Pirate standout was sentenced to 3 years in prison for his admitted role in the March 15, 2010 attack. Victims reported two men — their faces partially covered and one pointing a gun — demanded drugs and cash, bound them with duct tape and pistol-whipped them.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/ex-seton_hall_basketball_playe.html

Assuming his son was even remotely interested in Seton Hall, why would anybody want to ever revisit and constantly be reminded of one of the most depressing periods in Seton Hall basketball history?

There are thousands of other recruits to go after.

A lifetime ban from Seton Hall is certainly a just result following his violent crimes against SHU students. Here's an excerpt from the 11-7-11 SL:

That all changed in March when he and another former Seton Hall basketball player were charged with robbing eight college students at gunpoint in an off-campus house in South Orange.

In August, Whitney pleaded guilty and today, the former Pirate standout was sentenced to 3 years in prison for his admitted role in the March 15, 2010 attack. Victims reported two men — their faces partially covered and one pointing a gun — demanded drugs and cash, bound them with duct tape and pistol-whipped them.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/ex-seton_hall_basketball_playe.html

Assuming his son was even remotely interested in Seton Hall, why would anybody want to ever revisit and constantly be reminded of one of the most depressing periods in Seton Hall basketball history?

There are thousands of other recruits to go after.

Really, there are thousands of top 10 players in the country that Seton Hall can get? Because that is the type of player he is. People, get down from you ivory white tower. What happened to Kelly is in the past. He served his debt and it is time to move on. If the Hall can get him, I would be thrilled.

Really, there are thousands of top 10 players in the country that Seton Hall can get? Because that is the type of player he is. People, get down from you ivory white tower. What happened to Kelly is in the past. He served his debt and it is time to move on. If the Hall can get him, I would be thrilled.
Of course if it was you or one of your loved ones who was robbed and beaten, you might be singing a different tune from your tower.

It's always funny to me how people are perfectly willing to forgive on behalf of victims of crimes.

Let's see you get hit on the head and/or neck with the butt of a gun and let's see how quickly you forgive and be willing to let that person back on campus or have to publicly address whether that person is allowed at games to watch his son.

I can hear Mr. O'Looney at the PA:

"Ladies and gentlemen, we call your attention to the video board... He starred at SHU despite playing out-of-position his entire career. He robbed and pistol-whipped several students along with another SHU basketball alum. He served time up-the-river and now we're pretending it didn't happen because his son is a basketball star... If his son sucked, we'd have him arrested for being within 1,000 feet of the building. That's how we roll. Let's have a warm ex-con welcome for one of our own, Kelly Whitney. Give it up."

Let's put it another way, the kid has more than 300 other D1 schools he's free to attend... assuming he's even interested in SHU.

So there's probably no point in this debate.

Reactions: BabyBlue
I don't think it's, one bit, fair to hold his son accountable for some thing his father did. I know of a similar situation when the son became a good family man, successful entrepreneur and ideal citizen of his community, despite what his father did. This is from a personal relationship with the both of them.
Every person has the right to be judged on his own actions.

Of course if it was you or one of your loved ones who was robbed and beaten, you might be singing a different tune from your tower.

It's always funny to me how people are perfectly willing to forgive on behalf of victims of crimes.

Let's see you get hit on the head and/or neck with the butt of a gun and let's see how quickly you forgive and be willing to let that person back on campus or have to publicly address whether that person is allowed at games to watch his son.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we call your attention to the video board... He starred at SHU despite playing out-of-position his entire career. He robbed and pistol-whipped several students along with another SHU basketball alum. He served time up-the-river and now we're pretending it didn't happen because his son is a basketball star... If his son sucked, we'd have him arrested for being within 1,000 feet of the building. That's how we roll. Let's have a warm ex-con welcome for one of our own, Kelly Whitney. Give it up."

Let's put it another way, the kid has more than 300 other D1 schools he's free to attend... assuming he's even interested in SHU.

Mr. O'Looney at the PA? LOL.

I think it would be harder on his son. I can imagine it would be difficult to face the constant questions about his dads arrest and conviction. There is a bunch of other school he could go to to avoid that.

Again, perfectly easy for people to cast stones at people they don't know or don't know what exactly went down.

I can say that I knew Kelly very well for 3 years and in those 3 years he was a good dude.

People lose their way and get involved with the wrong crowd doing the wrong things, especially when they don't know what their future brings.

I know Kelly enjoyed his time at SHU and maybe that helps with his son. I have read and been told by coaches that know the son well, that he is a great kid who values education and works hard to be a good student.

Surprising how easy it is for people to forgive on behalf of victims?

Why exactly does anyone need to forgive Khalil Whitney?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I'm not defending what Kelly Whitney did but I think people are overlooking the fact that this was a drug deal gone bad. It's not like Kelly and Stix were walking down Irvington ave and pistol whipped a group of choir boys. All parties involved were a bunch of knuckleheads.

"drug deal gone bad" was not the situation at all. get away from that idiot i dont care about his son, is it unfair to him? maybe but lifes not fair.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we call your attention to the video board... He starred at SHU despite playing out-of-position his entire career. He robbed and pistol-whipped several students along with another SHU basketball alum. He served time up-the-river and now we're pretending it didn't happen because his son is a basketball star... If his son sucked, we'd have him arrested for being within 1,000 feet of the building. That's how w
e roll. Let's have a warm ex-con welcome for one of our own, Kelly Whitney. Give it up."

I am sure this is your attempt at humor. Let me say, give it up. You are not funny or witty. THE KID HAS NOTHING TO DO WHAT THE FATHER DID.

Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Are we even linked to this kid? People going back and forth here, but not sure any interest from either side.

Yes his dad played here, but doubt the school has any real connection with Whitney anymore, as obviously he has not been involved with team or school in a long time, for obvious reasons. So I see no reason why we would have any advantage over any of the other 300+ division 1 teams. Would seem a little weird situation either way.

Reactions: phi_pirates
If there's any reason not to recruit a kid based on connections, this would be it.

Would be tremendously awkward for all. No need, no matter how good, IMO.

"drug deal gone bad" was not the situation at all. get away from that idiot i dont care about his son, is it unfair to him? maybe but lifes not fair.

I won't pretend to know exactly how it al went down because I wasn't there but from what I was told - students at the house bought pot from players. Players returned to the house later and robbed them.

In my opinion that is a drug deal gone bad.

ADVERTISEMENT