ADVERTISEMENT

Knick Knacks

I would swap Bernard King for Anthony. Otherwise 100% agree on the other 4. And yes I would have put Reed at the 4. He really was only about 6-7 despite being listed taller and he had game away from the basket while still being an animal on the blocks.

Loved DeBusschere, but he was a 4 whereas Anthony and King were 3s.

Bernard King was as unstoppable offensively (when healthy) as any Knick player I ever saw. No one could guard him. He scored at will against anyone.

Bernard King was as unstoppable offensively (when healthy) as any Knick player I ever saw. No one could guard him. He scored at will against anyone.

I always find it interesting what a player’s peers say about him. And when you hear the guys from that era talk about pre-injury Bernard they are in awe about his scoring ability and how tough he was to guard.

Reactions: Halldan1
His mid-range game was impossible to guard. He simply backed his defender down, turned and was almost automatic.

Reactions: Seton75
Bernard King never gets hurt in Kansas City and the Knicks are better and different sooner in the Ewing era

By the same token if he had kept his nose clean, he might be known as an all-time Net. He averaged nearly 23 points and nine rebounds per game over his first two seasons in the NBA and led the Nets to the playoffs in his second season. Largely due to alcohol and drug issues (he was arrested on drunken driving charges and was in possession of cocaine) they traded him after that second season to Utah along with two other players for Rich Kelley.

Because of several legal issues, the Knicks were King's fourth NBA stop (Nets, Jazz, Warriors). Fortunately, he sought help and got clean.

I would take King over Anthony as well, and do so easily.

But check out what that also means - that makes Ewing, who is in his late 50s, as the youngest by far on that list. The lack of success by that organization is incredible.

Reactions: HALL85 and dehere23

But check out what that also means - that makes Ewing, who is in his late 50s, as the youngest by far on that list. The lack of success by that organization is incredible.
Last draft pick that they kept for an extended contract was charlie ward

His mid-range game was impossible to guard. He simply backed his defender down, turned and was almost automatic.
Sorta like West. Nothing fancy, just "I am gonna do it again right now, and you cant stop me"

Hated West because he was just so good. No wasted motion. No flair. Just an unstoppable offensive machine.

Hated West because he was just so good. No wasted motion. No flair. Just an unstoppable offensive machine.

And someone who get massively overlooked IMO by more recent generations. Oscar gets more props because of the triple-double stuff and how unique he is recognized historically for his time, Magic is more recent and "Magic", they all know about Kobe, but West can get a bit lost by the younger folks when talking about the best guards of all time after Jordan.

There's a reason for this

nba%20logo.jpeg

And imagine him in this era with the 3 ball, spread-the-floor offense, rules designed to allow player movement, etc.

+1000. King easy over Anthony. His shot release was a joy to watch.

And, yes, that’s a lot of futility over the last couple of decades...

Earl the Pearl Monroe was no slouch...
Far from the best, but I liked Hal Greer...shooting jump shots for his foul shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT