ADVERTISEMENT

Knicks’ Tom Thibodeau named NBA Coach of the Year in upset

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Marc Berman

Tom Thibodeau staged upsets all season and pulled off another one Monday night.

Thibodeau was named the NBA Coach of The Year for the second time in his career after leading the Knicks to a 41-31 record and breaking a seven-season playoff drought. The voting was based only on the regular season.

Thibodeau barely edged Suns coach Monty Williams. In a razor-close call, Thibodeau received 43 first-place votes and earned 351 total points to edge Williams with 340 points (45 first-place votes)..

But Thibodeau changed the culture with a roster predicted to win 22 ½ games by Las Vegas sports books and with the lowest payroll in the East. He still wasn’t favored to win the award by oddsmakers despite earning the conference’s fourth playoff seed.

“It was a special season,’’ Thibodeau said on a conference call Monday night. “Just the way this group sacrificed for each other, it was special. They gave me everything they had. Great determination. There’s no better place than the Garden to win. I know what this team means to the city.’’

Thibodeau earned the award with the Bulls for the 2010-11 season, his first season as an NBA head coach. Now similarly honored in his first season as the Knicks’ head coach, Thibodeau became the first person to be named NBA Coach of the Year in his first season as head coach with two different franchises.

Five days ago, Thibodeau’s group was eliminated by the Hawks in five games, blown out in each of the last three games. This certainly took some of the sting away.

“I want us to learn from each situation,’’ Thibodeau said. “Obviously proud of the season we had. In the playoffs, you want to learn from it. You want the pain of the losing to be the driving force of the motivation this summer. In the end there’s 29 teams who fall short. What are we going to do about it? We’re going to take a couple of weeks to recharge and then get back to work. The next step is how hard are we going to work this summer.’’

Thibodeau said he was honored to join Red Holzman and Pat Riley, the other Knicks coaches who have won the award.

“I look at the career I had — to coach in New York, Chicago, Boston and Houston, I realize I’ve been very, very fortunate,’’ Thibodeau said. “I’ve been around great coaches and stolen from everybody.’’

Asked if he thought this team could win the East’s fourth seed, Thibodeau said, “Going into the season, we had some goals we wanted to set for the team — one was to win at home and build championship-caliber habits every day. We didn’t know how good we’d be but once we got around the players and saw how committed they were to playing as a group and sacrificing for each other, we knew we’d have a chance.’’

Thibodeau got the very best out of Julius Randle, who earned his first All-Star berth, and saw improvement from No. 3 pick RJ Barrett in his second season. But the bottom line is his team won. A lot.

“The commitment made by the players was special,’’ Thibodeau said. “They put a lot of extra time into shooting. That was a big question going into the season. How good would we be able to shoot the 3? Even after a day when they fell short, you looked forward to seeing them the next day because you knew the determination would be greater. They were an enjoyable group to be around.”

The 11-point difference between the first- and second-place finishers marks the closest margin since the current NBA Coach of the Year voting format was introduced for the 2002-03 season.

Utah Jazz head coach Quin Snyder finished in third place with 161 points (10 first-place votes). Coaches were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote from a global panel of 100 sportswriters and broadcasters.

He definitely deserves it. If Williams or Snyder won, I would've understood as they overachieved as well. I think most people realistically thought the Knicks would've been in the Cade Cunningham race. Instead, we had Randle flirting with the MVP race

Great job by Thibs, but Knicks made an infusion of talent to even stay a perennial playoff contender. Especially at guard.

Great job by Thibs, but Knicks made an infusion of talent to even stay a perennial playoff contender. Especially at guard.

A faciliator and another (younger) post player to help alleviate Randle on the floor (not sure if he should be a small ball 5). Noel could leave, Gibson is better off the bench and Mitchell Robinson remains all potential at this point. They need to do well in the draft again to help with that core

Three #1s, Barrett and Quickly or Toppin should be enough to get Damian Lillard.

What do you think?

I wouldn't. Leaves the cupboard even more barren and undoes the very thing the Knicks are trying to do which is build for the future. Rather strike out on Kawhi.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
Point taken. That's a lot to give up, but the 3 #1 are probably not going to be lottery picks and to get Lillard, who is nearly unstoppable, and then team him up with Randle gives the Knicks two NBA stars.

From there you try and fill in the rest of the roster as the Knicks would then be very attractive to other players.

Thibs is not known as a coach who develops young players at the cost of present potential. With that philosophy giving better short term results as opposed to long term ones I think the Knicks would agree to that trade although of course they would try and keep Barrett.

Three #1s, Barrett and Quickly or Toppin should be enough to get Damian Lillard.

What do you think?
Isn’t the answer to your question whether the acquisition of Lillard makes the team one that can make a deep run in the playoffs. Giving up number 1 draft picks and trading Barrett and another player look to be too much and the return depends on Randle having another season like this to go with what Lillard gives you. I’m not sold yet on Randle having another year like this year and I’d rather see them add talent thru free agency and the draft.

Last edited:
The roster is about have some major turnover. There's roughly 40-50 million available in cap space. There's 4 picks in this year's draft alone to play around with. Leon Rose & co. have a nice challenge ahead to make playoff lightning strike twice.

It all depends on who has cap space. Knicks do. Now if Philly were to offer a similar package like they were rumored to have for Harden - ie, one that centers around Ben Simmons - it’s a different ball game.

What do you think?
Lillard is insanely good, to state the obvious, and exactly what the Knicks need. If I’m them, I try to offer whatever I can while holding onto Barrett. If you add a really good player or a star like Lillard to Randle/RJ, that’s a really good threesome, plus Robinson as an upside rim protector and all the veteran role players that Thibs can coax production from.

Whether you can get that guy without giving up RJ, who knows. Personally while I don’t think RJ is untouchable I’d do everything possibly not to give him up. He’s still only a baby and made tremendous strides in year 2. And he supposedly has the desire and work ethic you want and see in kids who improve.

Also what we don’t know is what stars, if any, decide to force their way out of wherever they currently are with NY in mind. Another looming option is if Chris Paul opts out, which he can. On the older side for sure, but he’s completely changed the Suns culture and team from an also ran with young talent to a legit contender. And Paul has roots with both Leon Rose and WWW. If they’d gotten bounced by LA in round 1 I thought that might happen, but Davis goes down and it changes things. Seems less likely if the Suns make a deep run but you never know how these guys think.

IMO Lilliard is looking for a team with an immediate chance for a championship. He’s not a young gun anymore, 30-31. The Knicks are not near championship caliber even if they get him. They would have to put a lot around him.

Here’s why Derrick Rose got shocking first-place MVP vote​

By Michael Blinn

Nikola Jokic took home the NBA’s MVP award on Tuesday, but Derrick Rose still can claim fan-favorite status.

The veteran Knicks guard surprisingly received a first-place vote in the 2020-21 award voting, account for all 10 of his points in the standings. That vote reportedly came via consensus fan vote, according to the Associated Press.

Rose, who won the MVP in 2011, averaged 14.7 points per game to go along with 2.6 rebounds and 4.2 assists over the 2020-21 season, including 14.9 points per game in 35 games after being traded from the Pistons on Feb. 8.

Rose was not the lone Knicks forward to get some love. Most Improved Player Julius Randle earned 20 total points with a third-place vote, five fourth-place votes and nine fifth-place tallies.

Nets star James Harden was the only member of Brooklyn’s Big 3 to get some recognition among voters, finishing with a single fifth-place vote.

Jokic, the Nuggers star, became the first Serbian and third Europeam to win the Maurice Podoloff Trophy with 91 first-place votes and 971 total points, far outpacing the 76ers’ Joel Embiid (one first-place, 586 points) and Golden State’s Stephen Curry (five first-place, 453 points).

LeBron James also garnered a fifth-place vote, making it 18 consecutive years with at least one MVP vote

ADVERTISEMENT