ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Keating RIP

Rest in peace, Larry.

History is not always kind to Larry but as an athletics program we had a good bit of success during his watch. There's a reason he was inducted into the SHU Athletics Hall of Fame.

He stuck with P.J. when almost nobody else wanted him to. We went to six NCAAs in seven years after that. He also hired, first, Ed Kelly, and then Manny Schellsheidt to resurrect a doormat Men's Soccer program. The Women's Basketball program even went to the Sweet 16 largely thanks to Jodi Brooks.

If not for the George Blaney hire, he would be remembered much more fondly.

Condolences to his family.

Glory days

85e86bd8-82f7-45e1-be3a-33787ff4e208-sportschannel_deal.jpg

May he RIP and perpetual light shine upon him. Condolences to the Keating family.
Where is Kerry Keating these days?

Reactions: TrueBlue1989

Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Famer Larry Keating Passes Away​

AW0A6692.jpg

South Orange, N.J. - Seton Hall Athletics is saddened to learn of the passing of Larry Keating, a 2019 Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Fame inductee and the department's Director of Athletics from 1985-97. Keating was 76 years old.

Keating oversaw the Pirates during a very prosperous time for the department that included 10 BIG EAST championships and 15 NCAA Tournament appearances. Keating was at the helm when the men's basketball program, under head coach P.J. Carlesimo, had its signature moment in advancing to the NCAA Final Four and the national championship game in 1989. Seton Hall challenged for national championships on a few more occasions while Keating was in charge with the men's basketball team reaching the Elite Eight in 1991, the women's basketball team reaching the Sweet Sixteen in 1994 and the men's soccer team advancing to the NCAA quarterfinals in 1988.

In a tribute video to Keating at his 2019 Hall of Fame induction, Carlesimo said, "When you look back, the years that he was there, the people he hired, the improvement in the facilities, the improvement in the budgets, the money he raised and the camaraderie that he fostered in the department, you'd be hard pressed to find anybody that meant more to Seton Hall than Larry Keating."

A native of Long Island, Keating's career in college athletics spanned five decades, and most recently for 16 years at Kansas, where he served as senior Associate Athletics Director and as Special Assistant to the Athletics Director and was known for his work on the men's basketball team's schedule, consistently rated as one of the best in the nation.

Seton Hall Athletics sends its prayers and deepest condolences to the Keating family.

Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Famer Larry Keating Passes Away​

AW0A6692.jpg

South Orange, N.J. - Seton Hall Athletics is saddened to learn of the passing of Larry Keating, a 2019 Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Fame inductee and the department's Director of Athletics from 1985-97. Keating was 76 years old.

Keating oversaw the Pirates during a very prosperous time for the department that included 10 BIG EAST championships and 15 NCAA Tournament appearances. Keating was at the helm when the men's basketball program, under head coach P.J. Carlesimo, had its signature moment in advancing to the NCAA Final Four and the national championship game in 1989. Seton Hall challenged for national championships on a few more occasions while Keating was in charge with the men's basketball team reaching the Elite Eight in 1991, the women's basketball team reaching the Sweet Sixteen in 1994 and the men's soccer team advancing to the NCAA quarterfinals in 1988.

In a tribute video to Keating at his 2019 Hall of Fame induction, Carlesimo said, "When you look back, the years that he was there, the people he hired, the improvement in the facilities, the improvement in the budgets, the money he raised and the camaraderie that he fostered in the department, you'd be hard pressed to find anybody that meant more to Seton Hall than Larry Keating."

A native of Long Island, Keating's career in college athletics spanned five decades, and most recently for 16 years at Kansas, where he served as senior Associate Athletics Director and as Special Assistant to the Athletics Director and was known for his work on the men's basketball team's schedule, consistently rated as one of the best in the nation.

Seton Hall Athletics sends its prayers and deepest condolences to the Keating family.

That HOF video is a tremendous watch. If you haven't seen it before, give it a look.

RIP Larry🙏 Been said before but a big part of the Golden Days of Seton Hall hoops. That can't be appreciated enough. Helluva legacy.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Condolences to the family. RIP Larry and God bless.

Interesting pic Jerry put up with PJ, Dehere, and Larry. Nobody looking too happy there.

Last edited:
If memory serves that picture was taken DURING the SJU game where the two teams were playing in the season finale. Winner would be named Big East regular season champion.

Later in the same game Jerry Walker, who sat out his freshmen season as a prop 48, would score his 1000 point.

If memory serves that picture was taken DURING the SJU game where the two teams were playing in the season finale. Winner would be named Big East regular season champion.

Later in the same game Jerry Walker, who sat out his freshmen season as a prop 48, would score his 1000 point.
If it was 93, was SJU really close to us in the standings? I thought that photo was taken when Terry broke the BE scoring record, which I think was diring that game, same game Jerry went 1000. (PJ grabed the back of Terrys jersey so it was smooth up front) My son calls that the Shonelle Scott game, cause to his young ears, it seemed he scored all the SJU points ...

Was thinking about this the other day. I know Moten broke Terr's record. Whose record did Terry break? Who is all time BE scoring leader now?

Was thinking about this the other day. I know Moten broke Terr's record. Whose record did Terry break? Who is all time BE scoring leader now?
I think Terry broke Malik Sealy's one-year-old record. According to this, Moten never passed Terry (I thought he had, too), who was bested by Troy Bell in 2003. Markus Howard set the new standard in 2020.

EDIT: This says that Moten did in fact top Terry, as did Luke Harangody (!). I'd go with this one, since I thought Moten passed our guy, too.

Reactions: Seton75
If it was 93, was SJU really close to us in the standings?
1Seton Hall144.778287.80077.966.919.59.1NCAA Tournament; Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion
2St. John's (NY)126.6671911.63375.471.713.29.5NCAA Tournament
3Syracuse108.556209.69079.473.813.68.8
4Connecticut99.5001513.53675.571.811.78.1
5Providence99.5002013.60670.864.814.38.2
6Pittsburgh99.5001711.60777.376.69.79.1NCAA Tournament
7Boston College99.5001813.58171.567.011.97.5
8Georgetown810.4442013.60669.262.512.68.7
9Miami (FL)711.3891017.37071.474.25.29.2
10Villanova315.167819.29670.669.38.57.2

If it was 93, was SJU really close to us in the standings? I thought that photo was taken when Terry broke the BE scoring record, which I think was diring that game, same game Jerry went 1000. (PJ grabed the back of Terrys jersey so it was smooth up front) My son calls that the Shonelle Scott game, cause to his young ears, it seemed he scored all the SJU points ...

I think Terry broke Malik Sealy's one-year-old record. According to this, Moten never passed Terry (I thought he had, too), who was bested by Troy Bell in 2003. Markus Howard set the new standard in 2020.

EDIT: This says that Moten did in fact top Terry, as did Luke Harangody (!). I'd go with this one, since I thought Moten passed our guy, too.

Those lists count scoring two different ways.

The first link, from Sports Reference, counts all games, Big East games, postseason and non-conference games.

The second link, from Anonymous Eagle, is for Big East regular season games only. That is the mark that Dehere set in 1993 and Moten broke two years later. Moten held that record until the 2020 season when Markus Howard passed him. BTW, according to that list, Dehere moved past Chris Mullin as the all-time BE scoring leader.

Here's a story from the BE website after Howard broke Moten's record.

What was the rationale not to fire Blaney considering his three-year run took us steadily downhill: just that they were friends?

What was the rationale not to fire Blaney considering his three-year run took us steadily downhill: just that they were friends?

That, and how he probably didn’t want to be told what to do since he had built up enough capital during his time on the job. Especially since the orders came from Msgr. Sheeran.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomD82
That, and how he probably didn’t want to be told what to do since he had built up enough capital during his time on the job. Especially since the orders came from Msgr. Sheeran.

Thanks.
I'm impressed that Sheeran was that involved; after all, despite Blaney's poor record, he was a stand-up guy.
Perhaps someone could review Blaney's hiring. Thought, then, it was an odd choice: almost panic-driven, even though P.J. left in mid June. Were others considered? Considering that late date, I thought someone from the staff should have been promoted on an interim basis.

Thanks.
I'm impressed that Sheeran was that involved; after all, despite Blaney's poor record, he was a stand-up guy.
Perhaps someone could review Blaney's hiring. Thought, then, it was an odd choice: almost panic-driven, even though P.J. left in mid June. Were others considered? Considering that late date, I thought someone from the staff should have been promoted on an interim basis.

In hindsight maybe so, but even though Keating had promised the hire would be a “home run,” they really thought they made a good choice in Blaney after running into trouble finding a replacement. Blaney really had an exceptional career at Holy Cross, but it just couldn’t carry over.

I will always wonder, would we have gotten Kevin's Dad or Gillen if PJ left earlier when most openings were being filled.

I really thought Blaney's better years were behind him. Holy Cross went downhill in the MAAC, then dropped to the Patriot League.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Thanks.
George raveling, pat kennedy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT