ADVERTISEMENT

LaVar Ball

hallgrad80

All Universe
Oct 27, 2001
The sports networks must be desperate if they keep putting LaVar Ball on TV. He now wants $3 billion ( no that's not a typo) from the major shoe manufacturers to produce his sneaker brand. Does the word delusional apply here. Why people like this continue to get air time and media attention is a pretty sad commentary on the state of sports talk shows.

Reactions: mbraue
As much as we hate him, he's brilliant. His son's season ended in March and people have been talking abt his son, brand, etc nonstop for the past 2 months.

His son is going to be a star in the league, just sucks people won't want him to succeed because of his dad.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
10 months from now, no one will give him a second thought.

He is the flavor of the month, nothing more

I disagree. His son is going to be a star (most likely for the Lakers)

And he has 2 other sons who are going to play at UCLA.

He will be around

It is going to be interesting what LaVar has to say this year about UCLA basketball team. I highly doubt the next son starts for UCLA. If he doesn't is LaVar going to be calling out Alford because of it?

Reactions: Fishjam
It is going to be interesting what LaVar has to say this year about UCLA basketball team. I highly doubt the next son starts for UCLA. If he doesn't is LaVar going to be calling out Alford because of it?
Good points. Lavar is an absolute buffoon who acts even worse when things don't go his way. When Lonzo played terribly vs Kentucky he blamed the other UCLA players and the fact that a couple of them were white. When his 2 kids played poorly and Chino Hills lost, he called out the coach (who he had hand picked) and said he would pull his kids off the team if he remained the coach. The coach then got fired.

What's he going to do when the Lakers are 20-60 and LiAngelo is sitting on the bench at UCLA?

The sports networks must be desperate if they keep putting LaVar Ball on TV. He now wants $3 billion ( no that's not a typo) from the major shoe manufacturers to produce his sneaker brand. Does the word delusional apply here. Why people like this continue to get air time and media attention is a pretty sad commentary on the state of sports talk shows.
He needs to trust the process and stay in his lane

I hope Lonzo gets taken by a bottom feeding East Coast team in a small market. This is purely based on his father's antics. Lamelo isn't making the NBA. Li'Angelo might.

I hope Lonzo gets taken by a bottom feeding East Coast team in a small market. This is purely based on his father's antics. Lamelo isn't making the NBA. Li'Angelo might.

LaMelo is much more highly regarded than Li'Angelo.

Unfortunately LaVar Ball is not going away anytime soon. I can't stand the guy, much like I cannot stand Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless, etc. Unfortunately (for me) there are many folks out there that like these kind of loud mouth, in your face, self promoters which is why they are still everywhere. He's now asking for $3B and he has current sold 400-500 pairs of his $495 sneakers? Umm, I'm pretty good at math and something is missing there...LOL.

I do feel bad for Lonzo Ball though as from what I have read and from watching him on TV, he seems like a good kid. Maybe at some point down the road once he's no longer reliant on his father for everything (and has his own $) he can tell him to turn it down a little bit, though I feel it will be hard.

I remember when the Williams sisters came onto the scene, their Dad was seen as an over the top jerk. Turns out: A. He was pretty tame when comparing him to LaVar and B. He was right, his girls changed the game. Only difference is at the time I think he thought it would be Venus. She has had a great career but Serena has been at a GOAT level for quite some time...

I think the guy is hysterical. A clown show. The exchange with Colin Cowherd's cohost was a riot.

How much of this is shtick? But if he's truly nutty he will become a headache for his son and the NBA.

No one knew his name 7 months ago and no one will care what he has to say 10 months from now.

He is a boorish buffoon whose 15 minutes of fame are starting to wind down

Anyone who says that his son's college team lost because it had too many white players is not great he's a racist.

Wait.....did he actually say that?

So.....he is worse than all these antics alone would qualify him for....wow.
Some people just believe the world revolves around them.....they are the sun.....we are all just his little planets.....

Delusional doesn't begin to describe....then, someday when it comes back to bite him, he will be the first to cry foul.

Wait.....did he actually say that?

So.....he is worse than all these antics alone would qualify him for....wow.
Some people just believe the world revolves around them.....they are the sun.....we are all just his little planets.....

Delusional doesn't begin to describe....then, someday when it comes back to bite him, he will be the first to cry foul.

I'm not that sensitive so I don't see it as racist, but some might. I find it just to be a dumb comment because although Wisconsin didn't beat Duke to win the title, it wasn't because of the color of anyone's skin. Duke made plays down the stretch, Wisconsin didn't. Here's the quote.

“Realistically you can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow,” Ball told the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

If I am not mistaken Lebron James got 1 Billion from a lifetime contract with Nike...and this dude wants 3 Billion???

The man is a horse's ass. I don't like him. His kids appear to be elite athletes and should not be judged by the antics of their a**hole dad.

Could this be a similar scenario as RG III and his meddling Dad? We will see...

If I am not mistaken Lebron James got 1 Billion from a lifetime contract with Nike...and this dude wants 3 Billion???

the mans got 3 superstar sons ... your going to say each son isnt worth 1 billion on his own??? All 3 Ball boys will be all stars in the league mark my words ... 3 billion might be underselling it

No one knew his name 7 months ago and no one will care what he has to say 10 months from now.

He is a boorish buffoon whose 15 minutes of fame are starting to wind down

Oh, I fear you are very wrong here. I hope you are right, but I'd wager heavily on this clown being around for a while. In fact, I think he'll land in the Tebow zone. No matter how oversaturated the media landscape was with all things Tebow, the coverage kept coming and it was justified by the metrics. It got to the point where it was unbelievable that there was still an audience for it. I think we're going there with dopey dad Ball. Ugh.

In this social media driven world its all about clicks. Lavar is Click-Bait and through all of his talk he has made his son a household name before he is even in the NBA.

I heard the interview & don't think his rant was sexist. LaVar was answering a question Cowherd asked & she interrupted him. Not saying he wasn't out of line but just because she's a woman doesn't make it sexist.

Reactions: mjs429
the mans got 3 superstar sons ... your going to say each son isnt worth 1 billion on his own??? All 3 Ball boys will be all stars in the league mark my words ... 3 billion might be underselling it
Please... Two of the 3 are considered top talents, Lonzo and LaMelo. LiAngelo isn't considered an elite prospect.

That being said, even if 2 of the 3 are elite prospects who become NBA All-Stars, which is a BIG IF... there are only two Billion dollar hoops players who have walked the planet, MJ and LBJ.

I wouldn't blame him, but I'd bet if someone shifted course and offered him $1-200mm it would be a done deal (and he would laugh all the way to the bank)... Issue is the two younger ones can't even be marketed yet as they are still amateurs.

Whatever the case, I wish he would just go away but think he's here to stay...

Fox Sports host: I’ve had death threats since LaVar Ball fight
By Hannah Withiam

May 18, 2017 | 10:41pm

Fox Sports 1 host Kristine Leahy, the target of LaVar Ball’s dismissive rant on her show with Colin Cowherd on Wednesday, revealed Thursday the combative basketball father wasn’t the only one to threaten her within 24 hours.

Leahy said she has received death threats since footage of the heated interaction — in which Ball told her to “stay in your lane” and that “something’s coming to you” — swept through the media world.

“For me this wasn’t a women issue. It wasn’t a racial issue. But it has turned into both,” Leahy said on Thursday’s edition of “The Herd with Colin Cowherd.”

The 30-year-old TV personality admitted she has approved of major sports networks’ decisions to invite Ball on their shows, such as ESPN’s “First Take” with Stephen A. Smith and FS1’s “Undisputed” with Skip Bayless. Nevertheless, after Wednesday’s episode, she now believes the outspoken father of Lonzo, a top NBA draft prospect, should lose that privilege.

“I think the reason so many networks choose have him on is because he says a lot of controversial things. He’s loud and a big personality, which I’ve been totally fine with,” Leahy said. “But I hope that yesterday showed who he is and that we stop putting him on all these networks just to get controversial statements out of him because that is potentially what can happen. I think there’s no place for that in TV — no matter what kind of ratings you’re going to get.”

Leahy, who stood her ground when Ball mocked her voice and continued to shoot down her arguments, said she has nothing against his son and wishes the father would let the player do more of the talking.

“At this point, what I think about is I would love for Lonzo Ball to have whatever he can. I think about him in this situation. I want him to do well,” she said. “I hope that we stop letting his father talk so much and maybe allow Lonzo to talk. I would love to hear more from him. I would hope he’s successful. I think what LaVar is doing, I don’t think yesterday is going to help his son at all.”

Ball first lashed out at Leahy after she asked how many pairs of shoes he’d sold through his Big Baller Brand website, telling her to “leave me alone” because “she scares me” and reverting his attention to Cowherd to answer the question. When Cowherd reminded Ball that his co-host was a reporter too, Ball dismissed her again as a “hater” and laughed her off when she suggested he market his brand also to women.

“So you disrespect women and people for their weight?” Leahy asked after Ball included her colleague Jason Whitlock in his attack.

“If you act like that, guess what? Something’s coming to you,” Ball responded.

In a separate appearance Thursday on Whitlock’s “Speak For Yourself,” Leahy said Fox should consider rearranging the set of “The Herd” because, as it stands, she sits practically behind the guest who’s facing Cowherd.

Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in these networks (ESPN, FS1) preaching inclusion, tolerance, diversity, from atop their soapbox but continually put someone like Lonzo Ball on air who has repeatedly made sexist and racially insensitive comments?

Ever time you put Ball on TV and allow him to demean people as he has and continues to do you empower him and you allow him to have a platform for spewing the invective he espouses. What also occurs is that his attacks on people encourage the radical fringe and that has been clearly demonstrated by Leahy receiving death threats.

I'd love to see the Celtics draft him #1, or better yet trade the pick to Philly with the proviso that they draft him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT