ADVERTISEMENT

LeVelle Moton, NCCU men's basketball coach, bothered by silence of white Power 5 coaches

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
  • Myron MedcalfESPN Staff Writer

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ach-bothered-silence-white-power-five-coaches

As the country continues to face the aftermath of George Floyd's death, North Carolina Central men's basketball head coach LeVelle Moton said the silence of white Power 5 basketball and football coaches is alarming.

On ESPN Radio nearly a week after Floyd died in police custody on Memorial Day in Minneapolis, Moton said white Power 5 coaches in both sports tend to care about African Americans when they're on their teams but don't offer the same concern when African Americans die at the hands of law enforcement officers.

"The reality is a lot of these coaches have been able to create generational wealth," Moton said Sunday on ESPN Radio's Sunday Morning. "Their grandkids' kids are gonna be able to live a prosperous life because athletes who were the complexion of George Floyd were able to run a football, throw a football, shoot a basketball or whatever have you, so they have been able to benefit from athletes that look like George Floyd and many more. But whenever people [who are] the complexion of George Floyd are killed, assassinated, murdered in the street in broad daylight, they're silent."

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo released a statement Saturday reflecting on recent events, saying, "I can't stay silent."

"We must stand together for human rights and against racism," Izzo wrote. "As a white American basketball coach who has been trusted and accepted into African American homes across our country, the racism and injustice I've witnessed has sickened my soul."

A number of white football coaches, including Alabama's Nick Saban, Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy and Texas A&M's Jimbo Fisher, issued statements Sunday.

Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck for more than eight minutes per the viral video that captured the incident, was charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter on Friday. Chauvin and three other officers who were involved in the incident, including two who helped Chauvin hold Floyd down, were fired.

Protests have erupted throughout the country, beginning in Minneapolis, where Floyd died, and spreading throughout major cities. Ohio State men's basketball grad transfer Seth Towns, who graduated from Harvard on Thursday, was detained by police on Friday at a protest in Columbus, Ohio. Both Buckeyes coach Chris Holtmann and athletic director Gene Smith tweeted their support.

Moton said the collective coaching fraternity has not done enough to express support in the wake of Floyd's death or similar incidents in the past. He said he hasn't slept well since Floyd's death, which has triggered his anxiety disorder, because it reminded him of a similar situation he discussed on Twitter.

In 2005, Moton said he was held at gunpoint by police in Raleigh, North Carolina, with former North Carolina men's basketball star Raymond Felton months after Felton helped the Tar Heels win a national title. Moton said he felt a kinship with Floyd, who called for his mother in the final moments of his life, because Moton's mother was on speakerphone, overheard her son's encounter with police and thought he would be killed.

That's why he replays scenarios in practice to keep his players safe if they face similar situations. He puts out four chairs, mimicking a car with two in front and two in back, and goes through the reenactment of a player being pulled over by a police officer. He said he teaches his players to do what they can to deescalate the situation and "get home."

That's why, Moton said, it's important for America's top college coaches to take a stand in a moment such as this.

"I have a problem with [their silence] because it seems as if black lives matter to them whenever they can benefit from it or whenever they're getting them first downs, catching an alley-oop or shooting a [3-pointer] or whatever," Moton said. "When it's time for humanity to speak up on behalf of the student-athlete, it's silent. It's crickets. And my problem is if the murdering of black Americans is too risky of an issue for you to stand up as a leader, then who are they really playing for?"

In Saban's statement, the Crimson Tide coach said he was "shocked and angered" by recent events, and he encouraged unity.

"We are all part of this and we must banish these types of injustices in not just our country, but our world," Saban wrote. "The ultimate future of our nation is in our hands, and like the teams I've been privileged to coach, we must depend on and respect each other no matter our differences. We must come together as a society and treat one another with respect and dignity."

Can only paste what ESPN titles their article.

There is no easy way to present, talk about, or solve this serious issue. The unfortunate thing now is the demonstrations, especially the violent ones that are presently overshadowing the crime committed by the police officers.

Too many factions with agendas are taking advantage of this incident and simply adding fuel to the fire.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...tball-staff-member-arrested-saturday-protests

Louisville men's basketball staff member arrested Saturday during protests

9:39 PM ET
  • i

Jeff BorzelloESPN Staff Writer

Louisville director of basketball operations Kahil Fennell was arrested Saturday night during protests in the city over the death of Breonna Taylor.

According to the Louisville Metropolitan Department of Corrections booking log, Fennell was booked at 8:58 p.m. local time on Saturday and charged with unlawful assembly, a misdemeanor. The Louisville Courier-Journal obtained Fennell's arrest report, which said Fennell violated Louisville's curfew order.

The city of Louisville has seen protests for several days because of the death of Taylor, a black woman who was shot and killed in March by three police officers who entered her apartment while executing a "no-knock warrant." The FBI announced earlier this month it was opening an investigation into the shooting.

Louisville coach Chris Mack supported Fennell in a statement on Sunday.

"Earlier this morning Kahil and I spoke and I was made aware of his booking," Mack said. "I stand by my statement I made later in the morning and I stand by Kahil. When he feels the time is right he will comment."

Fennell has been at Louisville for two years under Mack after spending one season as an assistant coach at Portland State.

Mack released an earlier statement on Sunday morning about George Floyd's death and the ensuing protests around the world this weekend.

"What an incredibly sad time in our country. The fact we are more than 200 years old as a country and can't figure it out is incomprehensible," Mack said. "Who could watch George Floyd die on the street and not think 'What in the hell is wrong with people?' I just can't comprehend that kind of treatment to anyone. It feels like our country is going backwards ... I hope that we can play a part in helping to heal an entire community we proudly represent."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-show-wants-moment-silence-george-floyd-death

John Calipari cancels show, wants moment of silence after George Floyd death

9:58 AM ET
  • i

Myron MedcalfESPN Staff Writer

Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari canceled Monday's "Coffee with Cal" show, which has streamed live on Facebook to raise funds for COVID-19 relief for the last three months, and instead asked supporters to have "a moment of silence" a week after George Floyd died in Minneapolis in police custody.

Through the video Calipari released Sunday night on Twitter, he said he hopes to bring "leaders" together to address the issues surrounding the death of Floyd and others who've died following encounters with police officers.

"What happened earlier this week in Minnesota and what's happened too often in our country has made me sick and it's made a lot of Americans sick," he said in the video. "It's wrong. It's unacceptable and we have to do better. We have to demand better. What I will say is this: I want to be a part of the answer in any way I can. It may be a small part, but I can't stand on the sidelines while my players, my staff, their sons and daughters, our fans and so many others who live with fear and injustices."

Mike Tomlin, Mark Cuban, Bill Clinton and Charles Barkley have all appeared on "Coffee with Cal," which the coach started after the coronavirus pandemic prompted the cancellation of the NCAA tournament.

Calipari said he understands people want more than dialogue but he said he soon hopes to assemble a group of influential people who can come up with "answers" days after the latest deadly encounter between police and an unarmed African-American.

Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck for more than eight minutes per the viral video of the incident on Memorial Day, was arrested and charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter on Friday. He and three other officers, two of whom helped hold Lloyd down as the 46-year-old pleaded for his life, were fired last week.

In a nationally televised interview on Sunday night, Minneapolis police chief Medaria Arradondo said the four officers were "complicit" in Floyd's death.

"Mr. Floyd died in our hands and so I see that as being complicit," Arradondo told CNN. "Silence and inaction, you're complicit. If there was one solitary voice that would have intervened ... that's what I would have hoped for."

Calipari also mentioned the deaths of Breonna Taylor, who was killed by police in her Louisville home in March, and Ahmaud Arbery, who was gunned down by two white men as a third filmed the incident -- all three have been charged with murder -- in Georgia while jogging in February.

"This has been a tough week for all of us, but I can't pretend to know some of the real pain others have been feeling right now," he said. "For those reasons, I'm going to put a temporary hold on our Coffee with Cal episode (Monday) and take a moment of silence, we all should, in remembrance of George Floyd, Breona Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and so many others who have died without reason. The intention of Coffee with Cal was to bring relief for Covid 19 and we will continue to do so in future episodes but for now, I want us to shift to some other issues and plan to address them in the coming weeks."

Not American life Dick but something that has plagued all of humanity since the beginning of our existence.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
No one would argue that point. But the disease is mankind, not one limited to our shores. There have been wars throughout the history of man, well before this country ever existed.

Reactions: Hallsome
We are not the only ones, but we are the ones I care about. And we are the ones most proud of our revolutionary idea that all men are created equal. And our history is a 400 year mockery of that credo.
I’m going to make this brief. I get where you are coming from and I agree to a point. But since before the Revolution there have been many elements in American society opposed to slavery and racial injustice. The fact that we fought a Cvil War shows that the majority in America would not let the Southern slavers have everything they wanted. The US passed the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments. The Supreme Court has passed numerous rulings in favor of political and social justice.

But here we are today centuries later still facing our demons. Up until the early 1960s it was the Democrats harboring racists in their midst. Since then Republican. This despite good people in both parties. We still have miles to go but lets not overlook the progress made and lets not overlook people of good will of all races and ethnicities who have been working for American ideals and social justice since the early 1700s.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/george-floyd-protests-ex-indiana-football-player-chris-beaty-killed/

Chris Beaty, former Indiana football player, shot and killed during Indianapolis riots

By Ryan Dunleavy

chris-beaty-23.jpg

Chris BeatyFacebook

Chris Beaty, a former Indiana University football player, was shot and killed on the street in downtown Indianapolis this weekend during one of the riots happening in cities around the country in response to the death of George Floyd.

Beaty, 38, played for the Hoosiers from 2000-04 and remained actively involved in the program and the community as a mentor for players and a local businessman. He managed nightclubs, founded Fresh Marketing LLC for event planning and recently helped launch Worldwide Masks, which sells face masks for protection during the coronavirus pandemic, according to multiple reports.

Houston Rockets guard Eric Gordon – a former Hoosiers basketball star – tweeted “R.I.P Chris Beaty Was great guy, we had some good times at IU. You will be truly missed bro.”

Indianapolis Colts pass-rusher Kemoko Turay, who was drafted out of Rutgers in 2018, built a relationship with Beaty and tweeted, ‘Another life taken away.. just a week ago we spoke and just In a snap of a finger to hear that you not with us because you got your life taken away no reasons. I’m for the protesting but the violence got stop in both parties and this killing is breaking family and friends heart.”

The Marion County Coroner’s Office identified Beaty and 18-year-old Dorian Murrell as the two victims killed during separate shootings that occurred late Saturday and early Sunday. Beaty reportedly suffered multiple gunshot wounds.

Violence erupted on the streets of Indianapolis for three straight nights, as tensions ran high between police and protesters.

Police told the Indianapolis Star that one arrest has been made in the fatal shootings, but did not specify whether it was in connection to the death of Beaty or Murrell.

The core problem under all of this is white racism...both the blatant examples and the more subtle cases. It is not unique to America as Halldan says. But it is alive and well here and it is fed by leaders who cultivate its followers as part of their base. There are so many, many good and fair cops and it is a damned shame that their profession is sullied by the racists in their midst. And the spate of incidents ala the George Knox case is testimony to the fact that there are clearly and obviously racists in many police departments. Maybe someday they can be rooted out. But it seems like the racist cops unfairly derive protection from the respect and admiration of their colleagues who earned it and deserve it.

Unfortunately the terrible actions of a few reflect on the many who don’t have a racist
bone on their body just like the actions of Islamic terrorists reflect on peaceful Muslims.
The attorney general of Minnesota is a big antifa supporter surprised the press hasn’t
asked him about that ?

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...d-not-arrested-at-columbus-protest-on-friday/

Ohio State’s Seth Towns detained by police at Columbus protest on Friday

By Rob Dauster

One day after he officially graduated from Harvard, Ohio State transfer Seth Towns was detained by police in Columbus during a protest over the death of George Floyd.

A source confirmed to NBC Sports that Towns was taken into custody, but that he was released as of Friday night. Video of the incident was obtained by Eleven Warriors, who broke the news early on Saturday morning.

Footage of Seth Towns in police custody earlier Friday at the scene of a protest in Columbus. Towns, an incoming Ohio State basketball transfer, graduated from Harvard Thursday.

Towns is no longer in police custody and is safe at home, according to a source.

Columbus police announced that five people were arrested on Friday, the second day protests in the city, but according to the source, Seth Towns was not one of the five arrested. He was protesting peacefully when police asked him to move off the street, and Towns refused. He was handcuffed, moved and released.

“In a span of just 24 hours, I walked across a Harvard virtual graduation stage into the back of police van alongside other peaceful protestors—both of which I am equally proud of,” Towns said in a statement. “To those who are silent, speak up—to those who are hurting, unite; and for those who are fighting with the weapons of love and justice, keep going. I’m right there with you!”

Ohio State AD Gene Smith tweeted, “Proud of you, Seth,” on Saturday, while Tommy Amaker, the head coach at Harvard, released a statement in support of his former player.

“We fully support out players’ right to peacefully protest,” Ohio State head coach Chris Holtmann said. “In the time I’ve gotten to know Seth, it’s clear that he has a heart for social justice. As I said in my statement yesterday morning, we will continue to openly discuss this within our program.”

Towns, who is the most socially conscious player in the Ohio State program, last played for Harvard during the 2017-18 season, when he was the Ivy League Player of the Year. The 6-foot-7 forward averaged 16 points and shot 44.1 percent from three as a sophomore for the Crimson. He is eligible to play this season, and has two years of eligibility remaining.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/knicks-players-furious-over-teams-george-floyd-silence-report/

Knicks players ‘furious’ over team’s George Floyd silence: report

By Zach Braziller

The Knicks are one of two NBA teams that have not put out a public statement addressing the death of George Floyd and support for the black community in the face of police brutality, and reportedly some players and employees are “furious” about it, according to ESPN.

A source confirmed some Knicks employees — including black staffers — were disappointed the team didn’t furnish a statement like so many other clubs did.

In a company-wide email obtained by The Post, owner James Dolan explained the decision not to issue a statement, writing that he didn’t feel it was the team or the Garden’s place to do so as protests and riots have broken out across the country and in New York City. A video showed Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, who was killed in Minneapolis on May 25 while a white police officer put his knee on Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes. The fired officer, Derek Chauvin, is facing third-degree murder and manslaughter charges.

“We know that some of you have asked about whether our company is going to make a public statement about the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer,” Dolan wrote in the email. “I want you to know, I realize the importance of this issue. Therefore, I want you to understand our internal position. This is a turbulent time in our country. The coronavirus and civil unrest have taken their toll on our way of life. We at Madison Square Garden stand by our values of a respectful and peaceful workplace. We always will.

“As companies in the business of sports and entertainment, however, we are not any more qualified than anyone else to offer our opinion on social matters. What’s important is how we operate. Our companies are committed to upholding our values, which include creating a respectful workplace for all, and that will never change. What we say to each other matters. How we treat each other matters. And that’s what will get us through this difficult time.”

The Knicks declined to comment on the decision not to make a statement or whether players or employees were indeed upset about that course of action. One player, point guard Dennis Smith Jr., participated in a protest in Fayetteville, N.C., and several have expressed their views about the incident on social media. The Knicks started the season with a black coach, David Fizdale, and with several black men in prominent front-office roles, including current general manager Scott Perry.

While the Spurs are the other team to not have made an official statement, coach Gregg Popovich did speak out in an interview with The Nation on Sunday in which he addressed racism, police violence, Floyd’s death and the protests. On Monday, Rangers prospect K’Andre Miller spoke up about being the target of hundreds of racial slurs while conducting an online Q&A with fans after signing his NHL contract.

“It’s something that I won’t ever forget,” the 20-year-old black defenseman, the team’s 22nd-overall pick in the 2018 NHL Draft who signed a three-year, $3.825 million contract with the Rangers on March 16, wrote as part of a statement posted on Twitter.

The Rangers, like the Knicks, haven’t issued a statement about Floyd. They didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Reactions: HallLine69
https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/knicks-players-furious-over-teams-george-floyd-silence-report/

Knicks players ‘furious’ over team’s George Floyd silence: report

https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/knicks-follow-their-players-lead-with-blackout-tuesday-post/

Knicks follow their players’ lead with BlackOut Tuesday post

By Marc Berman

June 2, 2020 | 2:56pm

While the Knicks are one of two NBA teams that haven’t released statements on George Floyd’s police-related death, their players have been active.

Knicks shooting guard Damyean Dotson has been the most vocal on social media, revealing a personal connection to Floyd as they both attended the same Houston high school.

Dotson tweeted Sunday: “Honestly I needed a few days to really process everything that’s going on! #GeorgeFloyd was a Houston native and a alumni at my high school. These actions are necessary! Justice is necessary! Watching that video is very disturbing! I’m here to stand up for what’s right!”

Dotson, 26, attended Yates High School, where Floyd graduated in 1993. Classmates rallied for a vigil Sunday in Houston for Floyd. Dotson also retweeted several other quotations, including from the account of Martin Luther King Jr.’s son, Martin Luther King III: “As my father explained during his lifetime, a riot is the language of the unheard.”

People close to Dotson said the Knicks never reached out to him across the week.

The Knicks came under criticism Monday night for being silent on the issue with an ESPN report stating some players are “furious.” The Post reported some Knicks employees were disappointed and an email from owner James Dolan surfaced explaining his decision.

On Tuesday, after team employees held a virtual meeting regarding the Dolan email per ESPN, the Knicks appeared to attempt to make amends. Their Instagram account supported the BlackOut Tuesday movement.

Dolan stated he “realized the importance of the issue,” adding “however we are not any more qualified than anyone else to offer our opinion on social matters.”

Former Knicks star Larry Johnson, who works in the club’s alumni relations department, appeared to support Dolan with a tweet:

“The statement put out by James Dolan and MSG has some truth in it. As a Blackman and employee of MSG it is our responsibility to stand up for our Black Brother. DO FOR SELF!”

And the players have.

Dennis Smith Jr. was photographed at a North Carolina protest rally with his rapper friend J. Cole, and other Knicks such as Julius Randle, Kevin Knox and Taj Gibson have tweeted Floyd outrage.

“Scared of the world I have to raise my son in today,” Randle shared on Instagram alongside an image of Floyd. “Not many words to describe. What’s been going. I just know I’m hurt and heartbroken and it’s TIME FOR A CHANGE.’’

Knox wrote #JusticeforGeorgeFloyd with photos of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem on Instagram.

Gibson retweeted a Baron Davis post “Privilege is a bitch” with a video of a cop fighting a protester with the officer being thrown to the ground.

Of the 17 players on the Knicks roster, including their two two-way players, only Lithuanian-Canadian rookie Ignas Brazdeikis is white. In the Knicks’ front office is Craig Robinson, who is Barack Obama’s brother-in-law but expected to leave the organization when his contract expires in August.

Dolan’s history of African-American front-office hires is extensive. In 2018-19 and start of 2019-20, they had a black coach in David Fizdale and their top five front-office executives were black – Steve Mills, Scott Perry, Robinson, Harold Ellis and Gerald Madkins.

How many NBA teams/players released statements on China?

Crickets?

All of these statements are such a joke. Just a PR stunt as they all follow each other in doing the same thing because they think it's the politically correct thing to do. Even Seton Hall did it.

All of these statements are such a joke. Just a PR stunt as they all follow each other in doing the same thing because they think it's the politically correct thing to do. Even Seton Hall did it.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Reactions: Hallsome and shu09
It is our sin, 400 years worth. I see no reason at all to think it will ever end.

It is staggering. Heartbreaking. Blood boiling. A fact of American life.
We should make every American watch the documentary on Ulysses S Grant which just aired on the history channel. He stepped up to the plate and executed change at a time when change was needed. No one in America should get out of grammar school without watching it several times.
I bet 99% of young people don’t even know who he is. My favorite part is when he signed away his own personal freedom To a slave. He took on the KKK and defeated them. Now people talk and protest and nothing happens. How about a no tolerance law when a police officer gets 3 complaints against them they lose their job. How about developing a list of questions to establish and weed out personality or character flaws before these guys are ever hired. New England patriots weed guys out this way.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...me-for-some-black-college-basketball-coaches/

Tragedy of George Floyd's murder hits too close to home for some black college basketball coaches

Negative interactions with police are all too familiar for many black coaches

David Cox had spent part of the day hooping with some friends, and now they were all just hanging in the parking lot the way young people sometimes do. They weren't breaking any laws. They weren't causing any trouble. But that didn't prevent some cops from approaching them.

"They didn't like what they saw," Cox said.

This was roughly 30 years ago.

Cox, now the men's basketball coach at Rhode Island, was maybe 15 or 16 years old, a black teenager hanging with other black teenagers. And that's precisely what Cox said the police officers saw that they didn't like -- just young black people grouped together. So things took a bad turn quickly.

"They immediately started harassing us," Cox said. "They immediately threw us on the hood of the car. They started frisking us. They started cussing us. And that was my first real interaction with police."

It's been one week since George Floyd, a 46 year-old black man, died in Minneapolis after a white police officer held his knee on Floyd's neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds. The officer, Derek Chauvin, has been fired, arrested and charged with murder. Video of the incident, recorded by concerned onlookers, has widely circulated and sparked outrage and protests in most major American cities.

This, of course, is not the first time we've seen video of a black man, woman or child being killed by a law enforcement official. There's also video of Eric Garner. And Alton Sterling. And Philando Castile. And Tamir Rice. Sadly, the list is too long. And yet, undeniably, the killing of George Floyd has registered differently.

Why that is can be debated.

Perhaps it's because there was nothing spur of the moment about what Derek Chauvin did to George Floyd. This wasn't a scared cop pulling a trigger. This was a bad cop unnecessarily restraining a man and ignoring his pleas for help until he literally took his final breath. It was a slow death over nothing. So maybe that's the explanation. Or it could just be that we're in the middle of a pandemic and free of the distractions that often help most Americans move on quickly. Or maybe it's just that we've really decided enough is enough.

I'm not sure.

But what I am sure of is that something is different this time. More companies and prominent figures than ever are taking very public stands against racial inequality. People of all races are acknowledging, in some cases for the first time, that black people in the United States are disproportionally targeted and harassed by law enforcement officials. And though not all black Americans end up dead like George Floyd, obviously, nearly all of them have a story about when they thought they might. And that includes nearly all black basketball coaches.

North Carolina Central coach LeVelle Moton told one of his stories last week on Twitter. I reached out to Tulsa coach Frank Haith this weekend. He then sent me a link to a short film about Sean Bell, an unarmed back man who was killed in New York after officers fired 50 rounds at him and his friends in November 2006.

"Sean was my nephew," Haith said.

Incredibly, nearly all black men have a story. So, with this in mind, I asked David Cox what went through his mind when he watched video of George Floyd dying. Here's what he said: "What goes through your mind is, 'Man, that could've been me.' And that's not an over-exaggeration. That's not a woe-is-me response from a black man. Unfortunately, it's a very typical, but also a very true, response. That could've been me."

"I've probably been pulled over without being given a ticket a dozen times," Cox added. "Out of those dozen times, I've probably been searched a half-dozen times. And out of those half-dozen searches, I can remember, shit man, I can remember three incidents that really scared me."

One incident came at night.

Cox said he was driving when, for one reason or another, he made a U-turn. While doing so, he dropped his phone. When he reached down to grab it, blue lights. Cox said he was immediately asked to get out of his car for no reason. Next thing you know, his hands are on the hood. His car is being searched by a white officer. There's nothing illegal in the vehicle "but you don't know if he's going to plant something," Cox said.

After about 15 minutes, Cox was freed.

And relieved.

He had done nothing wrong. He'd simply dropped his phone.

But, still, he was scared.

"The black cop actually apologized to me," Cox said. "And how about this? If you were to grade that experience on a scale of 1 to 10, that's on the 2 or 3 side. Those experiences aren't me getting beat or slammed or anything. But I've witnessed those too."

Cox and I talked for nearly 30 minutes this weekend.

We discussed how his mother started speaking to him about how to interact with police officers when he was about 6 years old and has never stopped because, Cox said, that's a conversation "all black mothers have with their black boys." We discussed the frustration that comes with watching nobody being held responsible for the killing of black Americans time and time again. And, yes, we discussed the many prominent white basketball coaches -- John Calipari, Tom Izzo, Bob Huggins, Mark Few, etc., -- who are now speaking out on the issue of racial inequality in numbers never before seen. Cox expressed gratitude for them and called it a "great step." But he emphasized it cannot be where the conversation stops.

"[Their statements] show a degree of empathy and it is duly noted by black people like myself," Cox said. "It's a powerful gesture. However, this thing will continue. Today, there will be a black man who is probably hurt, maimed or killed by a police officer. And there will be another one tomorrow. So what do we do then? What's the next step? Because it has to be more than a tweet."

I get Moton’s point, but I think that’s exactly what’s wrong with the situation. It’s not about making other people put out statements or social media posts, it’s about people coming up with productive solutions to help the issue.

Coach K putting out some post isn’t going to have any impact on what’s going on, but would setting up a town hall call with police and community leaders do something? That’s the type of thing by that can actually make a difference.

Instead of Moton calling out other people, he should have done something to actually help the issue, then call on others to join him. Especially as someone in a position of power as a head basketball coach.

There’s too much vanity being asked for in social media, press releases, protests and donations and not enough real solutions being started and supported. That’s what needs to happen for real change.

Reactions: shu09
I'd love to know where all the money being raised actually ends up. That must be some audit!

There is no perfect solution to this problem. There is always going to be a very small percentage of bad apple policemen who either overreact with violence in a given situation or show callous disregard for human rights. I would think that that the vast majority of law enforcement personnel both white and black alike are personally disgusted by what happened to Mr. Floyd. Sensitivity training in race relations will certainly help but there will be some who slip through the cracks. It's not too dissimilar to when a former law abiding citizen blows a fuse in his brain and starts shooting innocent people. It's extremely hard to prevent such occurrences.

There's layers to this issue, but the primary thing is what and why there is a small movement away from the NCAA by schools that are somehow convinced going from paying athletes their due at 0%, to 5%, based on "likeness".

The dynamic at hand is whether non-white sports fans who are conservative or Republicans, are able to accept catering or appealing to what is ultimately a Democratic or "progressive" mindset.....and will those with money "donate" at the same levels if a coaching staff, players, viewership trends towards the "left".

If donors are able to see past color and towards strictly what is best for their school or university, we would not see such backlash on social media and elsewhere. And it doesn't matter what school anyone cheers for, there are fans that literally do not care 1 bit if the student athletes at their school graduate or are successful after their career....and are the 1st ones that suggest the players that do make it big in the NBA, NFL, MLB, donate their millions to their university that made 20 to 100x more revenue from their successful playing career.

As much as this isn't necessarily all about Floyd being killed, it is about "talent acquisition"....the one item that generates the revenue is a combination of college athletics being marketed and repackaged as the greatest sports we know as college basketball and football. And the other item is the talent needed to generate those ratings.

The end of college athletics as it stands right now, ultimately happens when society continues to treat minorities as they have been and the minorities stop attending traditional college football and basketball programs. If they attended an academy created for sports excellence,, without the charade of education OR they attended historically Black colleges and universities, the media would ultimately have to cover those universities. Those universities who only play againat Duke, Kentucky and others for financial reasons.

Those historical black colleges just lack the finances and media coverage...which is controlled by the media, who markets and generates the revenue for these "student athletes "...if that changes, so will college athletics.

Last edited:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/cr...0200603-ymg7s7lj4ng6vomteclyrl7v6y-story.html

Derek Chauvin now faces second-degree murder rap, other 3 cops to be charged in George Floyd’s death

By NELSON OLIVEIRA

ICARBGJARRGBBDUBVDIJKWZWZY.jpg

In this file photo, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison answers questions during a news conference in St. Paul, Minn., about the investigation into the death of George Floyd, who died May 25, while in the custody of Minneapolis police officers. (John Autey/AP)

Following days of angry protests over the caught-on-tape killing of George Floyd, Minnesota prosecutors on Wednesday upgraded the charges against the now-former cop accused of murdering the unarmed black man and charged the other three officers who were present during the fatal arrest.

Fired Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin now faces an increased charge of second-degree murder, which carries a sentence of up to 40 years in prison, for the May 25 homicide that has fueled massive demonstrations in every corner of the country.

His former colleagues — Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane — have been charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and were expected to be taken into custody Wednesday.

Attorney General Keith Ellison, whose office took over the investigation this week, thanked Floyd’s family for their patience and vowed to seek justice for him.

“We’re here today because George Floyd is not here,” Ellison told reporters at a news conference. "He should be here. He should be alive, but he’s not.

“Nine days ago, the world watched Floyd utter his very last words, ‘I can’t breathe,’ as he pled for his life. The world heard Floyd call out for his mama and cry out, ‘Don’t kill me.’”

The 46-year-old victim, who was being detained on suspicion of passing a counterfeit bill, died after Chauvin pressed his knee against his neck in a horrific display of police brutality. Chauvin, who is white, blatantly ignored the black man’s repeated pleas that he couldn’t breathe, a move that has also prompted a civil rights investigation.

Lane and Keung, meanwhile, helped restrain the handcuffed suspect on the ground while Thao watched from inches away.

All four were fired a day after the incident, but no arrests were made until four days later, when Chauvin was taken into custody on charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

The newly filed third-degree murder charge covers intentional murders without premeditation and unintentional murders. If convicted, the defendant faces up to 40 years in prison, according to Minnesota state law.

Floyd’s family members and one of their attorneys, Ben Crump, praised Ellison’s announcement.

“This is a bittersweet moment for the family of George Floyd," they wrote. “This is a significant step forward on the road to justice, and we are gratified that this important action was brought before George Floyd’s body was laid to rest. That is a source of peace for George’s family in this painful time.”

Crump and the family said Ellison’s office told them that the investigation would continue and the charges against Chauvin would be upgraded to first-degree murder “if the evidence supports it.”

Police claimed in their report that Floyd began to “physically resist arrest” during their encounter — even though multiple videos from the scene appear to contradict that account.

In addition, two competing autopsies ruled that Floyd died from police homicide. The one commissioned by his family shows that Lane and Keung, the two cops who had their knees on Floyd’s back, compressed his lungs in a way that contributed to his death.

“These officers knew they could act with impunity, given the Minneapolis Police Department’s widespread and prolonged pattern and practice of violating people’s constitutional rights," the statement by Crump and Floyd’s family reads.

Ellison cautioned the public that prosecuting four police officers, including one for murder, will likely be a long and tough court battle.

“We’re investigating as quickly as we can because speed is important,” he said. "We’re also investigating as thoroughly as we can because being complete and thorough is critically important, but it takes time.

“The reason thoroughness is important is because every single link in the prosecutorial chain must be strong. It needs to be strong because trying this case will not be an easy thing. Winning a conviction will be hard.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT