ADVERTISEMENT

Life Expectancy Rates Dropping

Good, we have an aging population issue and how we will afford retirement.

Not to be crass, but I don't want to be 104 years old and shitting in my pants. I want to hit my first hole-in-one at 95 playing with my son and having a massive heart attack in celebration, while his eulogy is "my father led a full life, went out on top and felt no pain."

all the data I've seen also indicates that it will get worse, far worse

Impressive you saw all of this isolation coming.

Drug abuse and isolation collateral damage are not mutually exclusive. The pandemic has just accelerated it.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Drug abuse and isolation collateral damage are not mutually exclusive. The pandemic has just accelerated it.

and the acceleration started before the pandemic hit the US. I heard that all the drug users were talking about the potential of the pandemic in Q4 2019 and said, we better grab all of the fentanyl we can now because we might go into lockdown in 4 or 5 months. Fentanyl users are notoriously good planners.

and the acceleration started before the pandemic hit the US. I heard that all the drug users were talking about the potential of the pandemic in Q4 2019 and said, we better grab all of the fentanyl we can now because we might go into lockdown in 4 or 5 months. Fentanyl users are notoriously good planners.
It didn't as you continue to disregard the numbers for the past four years, but carry on with your convoluted theory. No offense, but I'll take my data from a hospital executive before a poster on a message board....

AMA is normally a pretty reliable organization.....https://www.ama-assn.org/system/files/2020-12/issue-brief-increases-in-opioid-related-overdose.pdf

"Every state has reported a spike or increase in overdose deaths or other problems during the COVID pandemic"

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUMA04
carry on with your convoluted theory.

Not my theory. Already gave you a link to a study which showed a notable increase in fentanyl deaths in January through March 2020.

No offense, but I'll take my data from a hospital executive before a poster on a message board....

No offense taken. You should trust their data over a poster on a message board.
However, you should ask them what was causing the increase in overdose deaths prior to the pandemic.

Not my theory. Already gave you a link to a study which showed a notable increase in fentanyl deaths in January through March 2020.

No offense taken. You should trust their data over a poster on a message board.
However, you should ask them what was causing the increase in overdose deaths prior to the pandemic.
Please see the AMA information above...you know, the American Medical Association....

Please see the AMA information above...you know, the American Medical Association....

Not arguing that overdoses didn't go up last year. Just don't agree with where you are now placing the blame.

The isolation collateral damage being the main driver is your theory. Not theirs.
"Every state has reported a spike or increase in overdose deaths or other problems during the COVID pandemic"

Do you think that sentence says "because of collateral damage due to isolation"?

Again, what caused the spike prior to the pandemic?

Lots of factors at play here, many of which would still have been here regardless of government imposed restrictions which is why you don't find a correlation between restrictions and changes in overdose deaths. You're just on a hunt on where to place the blame, and ended up pointing in a direction that doesn't really make sense.

Do you think that sentence says "because of collateral damage due to isolation"?

Again, what caused the spike prior to the pandemic?

Lots of factors at play here, many of which would still have been here regardless of government imposed restrictions which is why you don't find a correlation between restrictions and changes in overdose deaths. You're just on a hunt on where to place the blame, and ended up pointing in a direction that doesn't really make sense.
I don't know what caused the increase in early 2020, but the deaths increased dramatically after that and have continued. I have said all along that there are ramifications to isolating which is supported by just about any mental health or healthcare professional you speak with. Those same experts point to the increase in drug overdoses, suicides, mental health episodes, increase in Rx use, etc. during the pandemic as evidence of that. Mental health visits are tracking much higher and are expected to continue for the next several years.

Policies that force isolation, whether good or bad, have ramifications.

I don't know what caused the increase in early 2020, but the deaths increased dramatically after that and have continued. I have said all along that there are ramifications to isolating which is supported by just about any mental health or healthcare professional you speak with. Those same experts point to the increase in drug overdoses, suicides, mental health episodes, increase in Rx use, etc. during the pandemic as evidence of that. Mental health visits are tracking much higher and are expected to continue for the next several years.

Policies that force isolation, whether good or bad, have ramifications.

Right. No one is arguing that a global pandemic which disrupted our economy (regardless of restrictions) while killing millions of people all over the world wouldn't cause an increase of mental health issues.

You've just placed an emphasis on the imposed restrictions which is not supported by data due to the fact that areas with more restrictions did not see a higher increase in overdose deaths compared to areas with little to no restrictions.

Right. No one is arguing that a global pandemic which disrupted our economy (regardless of restrictions) while killing millions of people all over the world wouldn't cause an increase of mental health issues.

You've just placed an emphasis on the imposed restrictions which is not supported by data due to the fact that areas with more restrictions did not see a higher increase in overdose deaths compared to areas with little to no restrictions.
I never said that there was a correlation. In fact I have said numerous times (which you love to ignore) that I believe it was the national messaging that had the greatest impact on our behaviors. And those healthcare professionals and experts support that the isolation has created the spikes that we have seen.

I never said that there was a correlation

If what you were suggesting were true, there would be a correlation. The fact that there isn't one should make you question if your assumption is correct or not.

I believe it was the national messaging that had the greatest impact on our behaviors.

Yeah, I'm sure drug users were really tuned in to the political messaging on what restrictions they should be following.

And those healthcare professionals and experts support that the isolation has created the spikes that we have seen.

Not really.
Isolation played a part, economic disruptions played a part, stress and anxiety related to a global pandemic plated a part, the increase in fentanyl imports played a part etc... If the government didn't add any restrictions during the pandemic - the majority of that is still there.

If what you were suggesting were true, there would be a correlation. The fact that there isn't one should make you question if your assumption is correct or not.

Yeah, I'm sure drug users were really tuned in to the political messaging on what restrictions they should be following.

Not really.
Isolation played a part, economic disruptions played a part, stress and anxiety related to a global pandemic plated a part, the increase in fentanyl imports played a part etc... If the government didn't add any restrictions during the pandemic - the majority of that is still there.
Duh….Economic disruptions and loss of jobs created an environment where people stayed at home isolated.

Didn't realize you knew what goes on in the mind of someone who uses drugs. Any data to support that?

My two cents on this cat fight is anecdotal.

All of my friends and acquaintances stated without reservation that they increased their alcohol consumption during Covid. I do not know any drug users but think it is reasonable that the same held for them.

On another topic, I wonder if there has been a Covid baby boom?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Duh….Economic disruptions and loss of jobs created an environment where people stayed at home isolated.

Your focus here has been on the unintended consequences of restrictions imposed.
Economic consequences still happen during a global pandemic regardless of the restrictions.

Didn't realize you knew what goes on in the mind of someone who uses drugs. Any data to support that?

As much as you do... and that was my point.

Your focus here has been on the unintended consequences of restrictions imposed.
Economic consequences still happen during a global pandemic regardless of the restrictions.

As much as you do... and that was my point.
I never suggested what went on in the mind of a drug user. Just pointing to statistics.

Many of the economic consequences occurred because of policies the government put in place.

Last edited:
This couldn’t possibly be because the current so-called administration invited millions of unvaccinated illegals carrying God only knows what diseases into the country and is transporting them into just about every state in the union, could it!?

My two cents on this cat fight is anecdotal.

All of my friends and acquaintances stated without reservation that they increased their alcohol consumption during Covid. I do not know any drug users but think it is reasonable that the same held for them.

Anecdotal indeed. There is another thread here somewhere where you guys were telling me I was crazy for assuming alcohol consumption wasn't up even though sales were.

Danny Brager, senior vice president of beverage alcohol at Nielsen: “Consumers are spending significantly less on alcohol because of the closures and restrictions to the on-premise space. People are just transferring their purchases, not buying more alcohol in total.”

This couldn’t possibly be because the current so-called administration invited millions of unvaccinated illegals carrying God only knows what diseases into the country and is transporting them into just about every state in the union, could it!?

You're blaming Biden for the immigrants here in 2020 that caused overdose deaths?

You're blaming Biden for the immigrants here in 2020 that caused overdose deaths?
You need to flip your calendar, it’s 2021 and our southern border is no longer secure due to the idiot currently occupying the White House.

You need to flip your calendar, it’s 2021 and our southern border is no longer secure due to the idiot currently occupying the White House.

You replied to a post about the overdose increases in 2020, asking if it could be do to the current administration.... So... No. That is not why there was an increase in 2020.

There is another thread here somewhere where you guys were telling me I was crazy for assuming alcohol consumption wasn't up even though sales were.

I don't recall that. Do you have a link showing where I called you crazy.

Anecdotal indeed.

One part of the anecdote I left out was a conversation with Nima Shangy. He supplies several hundred bars, restaurants, and hotels with beer. He told be about 9 months ago that part of the business had gone to just about zero but that his retail business had increased more than the decline of the commercial.

My point is that the anecdote was not based on 10 people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT